Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bigjohnmccaig79's Items on eBay

Spring Training- Need Some Help

I always enjoy sending to spring training and seeing what guy's do to sign.

But I like to see a good success rate, im willing to go down a notch on how good the player is to rather see it come back.

Any suggestions on who I should send to this year?

Also when can I start sending?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Kind of early to start this conversation but here is what I do:

I send to coaches, rookies, favorite team players that are good signers and also pitchers. After that I send to a few big names and hope for the best and watch the success thread for key returns that start coming back that I will send to after ST has started.

Best time to send for me has always been Valentines Day, mark the calendar for your GF or wife and for your ST sendouts. I will also send out throughout ST when I see successes from players that I would like to add to the collection.

I sent out 60 cards last year and got 24 back which is a 40% success rate, pretty typical. Good luck and be patient.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (46) Trader Retreat
    Country

To add to BigRedMachine's totals, I sent out 48 last year for ST and got exactly 24 of those back as a success. My rate tends to be higher cause I send in the middle of ST to the guys who have been signing thus far or are known signers.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Pick your poison on ST mailers! I have had years where I on ly sent to players who had signed during thelast ST and season. That seemed the safest route and some research either through the TTMM or reading through the ST success threads can result in a very nice list. I am starting my ST envelopes now for some younger players. I love taking ST risks as well. In the last few ST's I have gotten Vlad, Mark McGuire, David Price, Allan Trammel, Buster Posey, Josh Hamilton, Joey Votto and many other big names as I was willing to give it a shot. Play it safe and go for the lessor named players and good signers, but pull the trigger on at least one long shot. I see folks get Mariano Rivera every year and I am like 0 for 6 on him. Past successes never guarentees future results, but knowing that you at least have a shot helps!
    Hidden Content ~ best SCF feature ever!
    Go Mets, Colts, Reds and The Ohio State University
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

To add to what indyreds said, you definitely want to send a few long shots out. Past auto's I've received during ST was Mariano Rivera, Buster Posey, Allen Trammell, Josh Hamilton, Grady Sizemore, Mark McGuire & Tony LaRussa. It's also a good idea to look at last years ST success thread and start there.