Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

j.e.lew, I couldn't agree more with you. In some ways, this hobby has gotten too out of hand. I wasn't literal on the toenail thing, but with what the card companies are doing these days, you never know :(
    I like the idea of putting the glass from a backboard in basketball or the backstop in baseball and the like in football. How about the game worn suit from John Madden and Al Michaels? It could be called: "Monday Night Magic" and have an autographed suit of those guys. Just a thought.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See IggyWH's Items on eBay

Originally posted by thekingpin
    Iggy... I'm with you... but how about more like pre-1986. When cards had value on their own merits... and collectors could actually build the set every year.

Yeah, I know early 90's cards were WAY overproduced so go back to those days and limit the ammount of cards you produce. The only thing is though these card companies have to put out all these different sets just to make money so I don't see that ever happening.

Does anyone remember when pulling a jersey or autograph from a pack was a huge accomplishment and you went crazy when you did so? It's still fun, but they shouldn't overproduce the jerseys. Upper Deck went overboard and then the other companies followed to keep up.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kingpinlc's Items on eBay

Does anyone remember when Upper Deck used to have the Heroes subset? And it was a really big deal to get the numbered auto card? Nobody had those... they were so hard to get. What about the original Diamond Kings from Donruss? I bought many boxes back in the early days of Donruss, and never got a real Diamond King...

thekingpin, a Ted Williams auto is /2500, so shouldn't it be relatively easy to get? I'm buying 3 boxes of 1992 UD Lo series in hopes of getting one.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See IggyWH's Items on eBay

Originally posted by stkmtimo
    thekingpin, a Ted Williams auto is /2500, so shouldn't it be relatively easy to get? I'm buying 3 boxes of 1992 UD Lo series in hopes of getting one.

Tim

Not when it's reported possibility that 1,000,000 cards were produced back in those sets.

Wow. What are the odds of getting one, then? Must be impossible.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    See nyyanks_212's Items on eBay

Originally posted by IggyWH
    Go back to the early 90's where there was no such thing an an insert and card company's only made 1 set of cards, and not 500 sets each!

That's why I am addicted to eTopps and why, IMO will eventually become more popular than cardboard. Even though eTopps are cardboard in reality, they are kept in mint condition (at etopps), don't take up whole closets, and are a click or two away from being traded from one dealer to another. LONG LIVE ETOPPS!!!!

The eTopps concept is an interesting one, I hope they insert them into packs, it would really help Topps' business.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See qball0730's Items on eBay

I've just recently gotten back into collecting, and one of the first boxes I bought was a 2003 Topps Chrome Hobby Box, I pulled a Stan Musial GU Jersey out of it and I thought wow this is great because it was one of the rarer pulls according to the odds, unknown to me of course at the time that the hobby is so flooded with GU's anymore it's nutz, I started back up a couple months ago and I was planning on collecting GU's but I think I am just going to stick with etopps. I know what I'm paying for and it just costs to damn much to buy hobby boxes for $60-$100 a pop only to walk away with two GU's that might bring $10 a piece on ebay!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast