Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spaz4's Items on eBay

Latest Republican Poll + general media rant

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...fth/?hpt=hp_t2

Cain on top, Romney 2nd, blah blah blah, who cares.

Here's the sentence that really got me going:

Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann has also fallen out of favor it seems, after winning the critical Iowa straw poll in August.

One word: critical. The "critical" Iowa straw poll. Subtle media sensationalism at its finest. Though, silly me, I forgot how critical it is for a couple hundred Iowans saying who they MIGHT vote to nominate in the primaries that take place in six months for the election that occurs in 15 months (12 months now, but the poll was a while back). Know how many times the winner Iowa straw poll has become President? ONCE. But yeah, it's CRITICAL to win it though.

GAH. I'm aggravated now.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I've never really understood why there's so much value in the iowa straw poll either. I guess the winners get some extra media chatter, but it's not really that big of a deal. Don't the politicians bus people in and hand out SWAG and have celebrities and concerts and what not?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See duwal's Items on eBay

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...fth/?hpt=hp_t2

Cain on top, Romney 2nd, blah blah blah, who cares.

Here's the sentence that really got me going:

Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann has also fallen out of favor it seems, after winning the critical Iowa straw poll in August.

One word: critical. The "critical" Iowa straw poll. Subtle media sensationalism at its finest. Though, silly me, I forgot how critical it is for a couple hundred Iowans saying who they MIGHT vote to nominate in the primaries that take place in six months for the election that occurs in 15 months (12 months now, but the poll was a while back). Know how many times the winner Iowa straw poll has become President? ONCE. But yeah, it's CRITICAL to win it though.

GAH. I'm aggravated now.

how many times has the winner gone on to represent their party?

SCF Rewards
    Country

how many times has the winner gone on to represent their party?

Twice. Kind of. Back in 1996 there was a tie between Bob Dole and some guy I don't remember.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

That is why I rarely watch the media. I can not stand the double-talk and wordsmithing that goes on. I have a degree in education with a specialization in English/Language Arts so I tend to pay attention to and analyze every phrase and I always catch those little "no-see-ums" like that and get irked by it.

Sort of like car commercials. Ever car was named the best something by somebody...

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is why I rarely watch the media. I can not stand the double-talk and wordsmithing that goes on. I have a degree in education with a specialization in English/Language Arts so I tend to pay attention to and analyze every phrase and I always catch those little "no-see-ums" like that and get irked by it.

Sort of like car commercials. Ever car was named the best something by somebody...

Right on. Just those subtle things that really have an influence over people's perceptions.