Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

How are book values given? Why do similar cards carry widely different values?

So I have to FINALLY get this off my chest. I have wanted to voice this for awhile so tonight is the night....

A couple years ago I put together a set of autographed cards that really caught my eye. The design was great, the 20 player line up included most of my favorites, the cards are hard signed, and the set is #/75 with no parallels. ONLY 75. The set was 2008-09 SP Authentic Chirography. Which are CASE HITS. Here is what they look like:

The reason I am upset...maybe not upset but confused is why do these cards book so low? The Crosby above I believe books around 200, honestly I don't recall and I don't have a Beckett handy. Can anyone else think of a Crosby hard signed auto, numbered 75 or better that books that low? This goes for all the cards in the set, the Ovechkin I think is booked just over $100.

The part that really confused me is this; Why does the Crosby Sign of the Times from the same year, same product book TWICE as much as the Crosby Chirography? I am aware the Crosby SOTT is a SP but big deal. SP or not I am positive there are more than 75 copy's out there.

There are many examples of these kind of strange book values out there. Example newer Young Guns being way over priced, I'm sure there are others too. I decided to focus on this Crosby to Crosby comparison because I think it shows how vast BV's can be on cards that are so closely related. I dunno maybe I'm just sad my cards are not worth more (which I am lol) but I think I have a case here. What do you think about all this?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See snjs_stuff's Items on eBay

I guess it really depends on a few things. I collect for the pure satisfaction of collecting my favorite players and teams. Book value has always been just a guide for me, the reason is something is worth what someone will pay. So even though Beckett says it is worth X amount, that doesn't mean I am going to pay that for it. On the flip side of that, if I REALLY want a certain card bad enough I could end up paying more. It is all about what the market. Of course we all want our cards to be worth as much as possible, but relish in the fact you were able to complete the set. Just my opinion.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't know where Beckett gets their data from (mostly likely they just make it up) but years ago like 10+ years Tuff Stuff would actually list the around 50-100 dealers that they would get book value from. They had the list in the beginning of the price guide.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/