Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See laurel3049's Items on eBay

Grapefruit League- good stadium for graphing?

I'm looking to go to some Spring Training games this year, and wanted to know if anyone had any experience graphing at the Florida stadiums. I am within an hour or so of:
    Braves- Kissimmee
    Tigers- Lakeland
    Astros- Kissimmee
    Yankees- Tampa
    Pirates- Bradenton
    Phillies- Clearwater
    Blue Jays- Dunedin

Looking to go after the Braves and Rays, mainly. So looking for a stadium with decent access to visiting teams.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    New York Yankees New York Rangers New York Giants
    Twitter: @@ChrisWGamble

I have been to Kissimmee for both the Astros and the Braves. I didn't have much luck but I was trying for the Yankees both times. The only graphs my wife and I got were at the Braves-Yankees game when Xavier Nady and third base coach Rob Thomson signed a ball for us. That was it. It looked like some of the Astros signed after the game but I was waiting for the Yankees. Based on my limited experience I would tell you to graph the home team while at the Stadium.
    I collect NY Yankees, NY Giants, NY Rangers, NY Knicks, and NJ Nets. I am willing to trade. PM me if you have any cards signed by players from these teams.

Working on collecting all living New York Giants (football) and New York Yankees. The question is which team drives me nuts first!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See howiek1227's Items on eBay

I went to Braves, Mets, Cards and Marlins in 2010. So, I will only give feedback on the Braves. I only attended camp early in ST. The games had not started. First off, the Braves are the only team that I'm aware of that charge admission to training camp (It was $13 in 2010) I would think if you are attending a game you would only be charged for the game. I guess because the facility is on Disney Property.
    It was the most relaxed atmosphere for graphing a major league team I'd ever experienced. Get there around 7:30 and wait behind the leftfield wall for the players as they come in from the parking lot. There is a 4 foot high chain link fence very easy. Then after they change they walk back past that point to get to the batting cages and training fields. I believe there is access to the back fields. But, I chose not to go back there. Then the players come into the main stadium and take more batting and fielding practice. Go to the 1st base side and hang out there. Players can sign at any point during practice. I'm guessing before a game its the same way. After the game go around on the right field side and hang out. The players go back to the cars. The only negative thing is, the chain link is 6 foot tall at this location. So, if you are short it may pose a problem.
    I have heard that Yankees camp is a zoo. There is will be alot of competition for auto's. Some of the dealers can be A-Holes.
    I would think the Phillies and Tigers camps will be busy also.
    The Pirates, Jays and Astros will probably be less crowded.
    Oh, If Koby Clemens is in camp, there is a good chance you may see Roger Clemens.
    Do your homework, be organized and have fun. Good Luck.
    Report back on how you do

SCF Rewards
    Country

Blue Jays was a great park for sigs, got like 8 Yankees when we went, the players walk around 1B outfield side to get to the clubhouse and stopped by the fencing there, def a good park for the visiting team.

Braves offered some sort of on field experience which we didnt do but if you purchase you watch BP from behind homeplate and numerous players walked over and signed, saw many Yankees sign, thought it would be really $$$ but I heard someone say it was like $75-80

GL....

SCF Rewards
    Country

Blue Jays- Very easy for the most part. Pretty much every Blue Jay will sign, and the visitors are pretty accessible as well.

Phillies- Most position players will sign at around the 6th inning when they're done down the left field line. Pretty crowded for the most part but isn't impossible to get autos.

Braves- Very nice ballpark IMO. Visitors you can get over the dugout when they're doing BP an hour or hour and a half before the game. Braves you can get occasionally early, but you kind of have to play it by ear and see what's going on over on their side. 15 minutes before the game you might get some braves by the 1st baseline after they're done stretching.

Yankees- Very crowded stadium. Apparently if you are a kid or are with a kid, you can go down and get autos above the dugout. Very few Yankees sign inside the stadium with the exception of Granderson, Swisher and a few others. Visitors are more of your best bet, but just remember, the volume of people there is most likely gong to be very high.

I hope this helps, lmk if you have any other questions.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Dunedin blue jays are great, but the best stadium is the pirates in Dunedin. I got almost the whole Rays Roster with a buddy last year, and Pedro Alvarez and McCutchen on the other side signed.

It is set up so that the bullpen, batting cages and clubhouses are all only accessible to players via an open concourse that passes right by the fans in the outfield corners. Can't really beat it. 100% recommended.

Phillies are crowded and isn't GREAT, but you can get lucky. Yankees are difficult, but I did manage to get Jose Bautista last year...

I'll be down there Mar 24-31. I am interested to know if anyone has any direct experience in Lakeland at the tigers. I am planning on doing a Tigers-Marlins game there- try my hand at Hanley, Reyes, Stanton, etc...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the schedules (and my cash flow) and figure out which ones to go to. Will definitely update my IP thread afterward

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See howiek1227's Items on eBay

Another more generlized tip is. It may be tougher to get some of the bigger name players on the visiting teams. The visiting team is only required to bring a small number of there starters on trips. Alot of the veterens do not want to take the 4 hour bus rides. Usually the teams bring the NR guys and rookies. Look to see if the visiting teams have split squad games. I only point this out so you guys do not get disappointed at the last minute looking for 1 or 2 big name players only to find out a specific player didn't take the trip.

SCF Rewards
    Country

One more question: do guys typically sign more before games or at workouts?