Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Greengoblin782's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

Topps Mistake + My Honesty = Winning!!

I posted this in the Football Card Talk Forum but thought some more people who see this article here.

During the summer, I opened six boxes of 2011 Topps Platinum Football with my father. We didn't pull anything crazy opening them. We did however pull two redemption cards. That same day I entered the codes on our account. We pulled a Jerod Mayo Auto Gold Refractor Veteran Patch Card. Back on December 06, 2011 we received a package from Topps. We didn't receive the Gold Jerod Mayo Autograph that we were supposed to get, but instead got the Jerod Mayo Superfractor Patch Autograph 1/1.

I noticed right away that this was not the card we were supposed to receive so we called Topps right away. We were on the phone explaining that we are collectors of sports cards and that the card belongs to someone else we would want to do the right thing and send it back. The Topps Customer support worker that we talked to tried to look it up but couldn't find anything about it. He said, if Topps sent it to us that we were supposed to receive it. He thanked us for our honesty about coming forward about it. We put the Superfractor in a new magnetic case and put it away with our other football cards.

Time passed by into January. I didn't have service on my cell phone for a few weeks because I lost it. I decided it was time enough to get a new phone so I did. I had one voice message from Topps saying that they shipped me the wrong card and could we send it back. I called back to the number they left and told our story 3 different times on how we knew it was not our card to begin with and wanted to do the right thing ahead of time. We said alright, and would send the card back on January 19, 2012. We are glad that we sent it back because if I ever pulled a Superfractor redemption and Topps made a mistake by sending it to someone else, I hope they would call Topps and say something about it.

Today I receive a package from Topps with a letter.

Topps Co.
    401 York Ave
    Duryea, Pa 18642

Dear Matthew:

Thank You very much for returning the incorrect card you were sent.
    We are sending you the correct card, and some extra to compensate you for your honesty. We hope you continue to collect Topps Products!

Sincerely

Kathy
    Consumer Fullfillment Supervisor

They sent a package in a UPS box with a bubble mailer inside. The bubble envelope had these cards in it.

2011 Topps Platinum Football Jerod May Gold Refractor Patch Auto that I was supposed to receive 09/10 plus two other cards.

2011 Topps Legends Cam Newton Autograph
    2010 Topps Triple Threads Sam Bradford/Tim Tebow/Jimmy Clausen/C.J. Spiller/Ryan Matthews/Jahvid Best 12 Piece GU Booklet Card 13/36

Underneath all the packing peanuts there was a 2011 Bowman Sterling Full Hobby Box. We just got finished opening it and did we get a shocker of the lifetime when we opened it.

Biggest Hit:
    Cam Newton/Jake Locker/Blaine Gabbert/Mark Ingram/Ryan Williams/Mikel Leshoure Six Autograph Rookie Booklet Card 08/10.

Last edited by Greengoblin782; 01-31-2012 at 09:58 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See orangecar02's Items on eBay

WOW...that is awesome!!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See cardcollector1972's Items on eBay

Great story! I firmly believe there are mostly honest people in the hobby and only a few bad apples. You have brightened my day as another shining example of doing the right thing. I'm also happy to hear Topps did the right thing and rewarded you for your sincere honesty. I don't believe in karma, but I do believe that sooner or later, people will be rewarded for doing the right thing and displaying true integrity.

BTW...congrats on the killer cards you received and the rare multi-auto pull!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See topend19's Items on eBay

That was a good read . . Congrats and props for being honest

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New England Patriots Pheonix Suns
    See thepriest21's Items on eBay

Wow, what a great read! Thanks for sharing, and I hope you enjoy your new cards (I know you already do).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See meandsharon11's Items on eBay

still waiting for that to happen to me. All I have gotten for my honesty was someone taking advantage of it and screwing me for it. Its awesome they did that. I bet they knew that box was loaded. With a big company like that they not only kept you but more importantly they kept the other person as customers. They were potentially looking at losing 2 customers and not one. Most would see that superfractor and think they sent that to them as a replacement cause they didn't have the one they sent in for.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Greengoblin782's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

still waiting for that to happen to me. All I have gotten for my honesty was someone taking advantage of it and screwing me for it. Its awesome they did that. I bet they knew that box was loaded. With a big company like that they not only kept you but more importantly they kept the other person as customers. They were potentially looking at losing 2 customers and not one. Most would see that superfractor and think they sent that to them as a replacement cause they didn't have the one they sent in for.

Yeah, after we contacted Topps the first time that is what we thought until I got the message on my voice mail in January from them. I am glad that I didn't sell it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Blackhawks Chicago Bears
    Twitter: @Rick Polus

Very nice story, glad to hear that Topps took care of you.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

WOW, awesome!

SCF Rewards
    Country

very nice on both ends!!! i only hope that when it comes down to it i will act as such...i know i say i would but ive never been put in that situation...but i for sure hope i would!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast