Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See risingiggy's Items on eBay

Tough Decisions about collecting

I had been collecting cards for over 10 years, went through good and bad times and had to sell most of my card then restart collecting.
    But now I have come to a situation that I don't really know what I am doing anymore, especially having a newborn baby joining the family.

My point is, what to collect ? and why?
    Generally I collect almost everything, autographs, patches, parallel, inserts...everything, but mostly big names like Jordan, Kobe, James....etc
    (well, not those most expensive things like PMG Jordan...90's Jordan autos)

I have tons of cards stacked in my house and I really don't know what to do with it. Planned to sell them but even scanning is gonna kill me.

Seriously, it hurts if sell them all and get out of this hobby, but continue like this , seems to have no target and don't know what I am doing.

Everyone here, especially those super collectors for years, please share with me What you collect and Why , it'll do me great help.

Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

I collect for several reasons:

1) I love sorting and re-sorting things (I can be a bit Aspergerian at times)
    2) the cards pertain to a sport I enjoy
    3) the cards in and of themselves are often interesting (designs, photos, info, etc.)

If it becomes too aimless for you, and/or you become concerned about the finances you devote to it rather than the joy of the hobby per se, then perhaps it may be time to sell them off. The focus should always be about something you like a lot, whether it's a team or player or set type...I started focusing on Antoine Walker in 2005 and ended up building an 800+ card collection of him.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I had been collecting cards for over 10 years, went through good and bad times and had to sell most of my card then restart collecting.
    But now I have come to a situation that I don't really know what I am doing anymore, especially having a newborn baby joining the family.

My point is, what to collect ? and why?
    Generally I collect almost everything, autographs, patches, parallel, inserts...everything, but mostly big names like Jordan, Kobe, James....etc
    (well, not those most expensive things like PMG Jordan...90's Jordan autos)

I have tons of cards stacked in my house and I really don't know what to do with it. Planned to sell them but even scanning is gonna kill me.

Seriously, it hurts if sell them all and get out of this hobby, but continue like this , seems to have no target and don't know what I am doing.

Everyone here, especially those super collectors for years, please share with me What you collect and Why , it'll do me great help.

Thanks!

Yeah I know exactly what you are talking about. When I collected several years ago, my goal is to collect everything and anything that I could get my hands on, without rhyme or reason. Fast forward several years later I found that my original collecting strategy was not cost efficient let alone was a completely unrealistic goal. Now I focus on what is in my sig within my budget. I understand that I will never be able to collect everything in my sig but it gives my collecting habits some focus and I have a lot more to offer for trades than before. One day I may narrow my goals down some more or possibly super collect other players but for right now I am happy with what I collect.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See risingiggy's Items on eBay

Thanks Guys for the feedback

Actually there's not any finance problem for me, instead I still do have spare money to buy some more, but just looking at all my collections, I just don't understand what I had been doing all the time.

I have around 15 Jordan Autographs, lots of Jordan 90 inserts except those really high end and parallel ones. Some Lebron , Kobe, Carmelo, Wade Autos
    And a pretty decent Iguodala collection including a real Ultimate Logoman autographs, and also some exquisites.

The problem is when I see these cards, I love them all.
    But putting them together, it's just like going to the zoo, you have numerous animals inside but everything seems to be just a few.

It is pretty important that setting a clear strategy and target to collect, otherwise the collection will end up like having some easy to get collections but feel really bad when something really nice showed up and you can't get it.

Honestly, I once set my collection on Iguodala, but I have to say I am a little disappointed with his performance, he could have been much much better.

Thinking over and over these days, I guess I will try to sell and trade everything except the most rarest and valuable cards I have, then I'll set another new goal and start to collect more efficiency and smart.