Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

Thumbs down Christie Rejects Same-Sex Marriage Bill

http://news.yahoo.com/nj-gov-christi...221536132.html

Gov. Chris Christie has followed through on his promise to reject a bill allowing same-sex marriage in New Jersey by quickly vetoing the measure Friday and renewing his call for a ballot question to decide the issue.

These people disgust me.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I think a double-standard exist here. On one hand people want things like this to be made law without the population having a say. Then when things like tax increases or rasing the debt ceiling come along people complain that it isn't put to a public vote.

Citizens are allowed to vote on small issues like license plate changes, tax increases to fund schools and speed limit changes, why not a major issue like same-sex marriage?

My position on gay marriage is irrelevant. Quite frankly I could care less. I just don't understand why letting the people vote on what they want their government to do is so wrong.

BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

I think a double-standard exist here. On one hand people want things like this to be made law without the population having a say. Then when things like tax increases or rasing the debt ceiling come along people complain that it isn't put to a public vote.

Citizens are allowed to vote on small issues like license plate changes, tax increases to fund schools and speed limit changes, why not a major issue like same-sex marriage?

My position on gay marriage is irrelevant. Quite frankly I could care less. I just don't understand why letting the people vote on what they want their government to do is so wrong.

Why not have some votes then now for blacks, Jews, the disabled, or people of different faiths to be able to marry. Sounds silly right, but that what we are doing to a segment of the American population. We look at them, we spit on them and we say you are not deserving of the freedoms we all share. That is disgusting and everyone who doesn't think they deserve the same as everyone else should hang their heads in shame.....

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I'm with you that I think gay marriage should be legal, simply for the fact that no one has ever shown me a real argument against it.

That said, I also believe it should be brought to a vote. It's not the same as disabled, African-Americans, Jews or anything else. As the law is written right now all these people can get married, just not to someone of the same gender. I agree it should be brought to a vote. Whether I agree with the outcome or not, when it comes to changing laws, especially one as contentious as this one, it should be brough to a vote.

Like I said, I think gay marriage should be legal, but I also think that laws which are so devisive as this one, shouldn't be shoved down a population's throats.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Why not have some votes then now for blacks, Jews, the disabled, or people of different faiths to be able to marry. Sounds silly right, but that what we are doing to a segment of the American population. We look at them, we spit on them and we say you are not deserving of the freedoms we all share. That is disgusting and everyone who doesn't think they deserve the same as everyone else should hang their heads in shame.....

Unless you have somehow come under the impression that gays are a race then your comparison is severely flawed. For that matter, categorizing Jews and blacks in with the disabled is flawed as well.

As I said, I could care less either way. I just don't see where the flaw exist in allowing people to vote. If this country is truly a democracy then the people expecting to be given the right to vote is not wrong. If the government is just going to dictate things to the people irregardless of what the people want then there is no democracy.

BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

as long as gays are denied the same rights as others then democracy does not exist in America

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

There is way too much on the line to actually pass something like this is any state or federally... There is way too much money spent and politicins heads would fall if anything like this was allowed to pass... The same goes for illegal immigration... What would politicians fight over if stuff like this was able to be passed?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (29)
    Country
    New York Jets New York Yankees
    See pspstatus's Items on eBay

as long as gays are denied the same rights as others then democracy does not exist in America

100% agree.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

Actually IMO the People of the state SHOULD be the ones to decide this issue...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

Actually IMO the People of the state SHOULD be the ones to decide this issue...

I could be wrong but hasnt it gone to the people for a vote several times and almost every time (in other states o course) it has been defeated?

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast