I have a problem with player agents who don't know what they're doing

The Giants finally were able to sign William Joseph earlier this week. They could've gotten him in time for the start of training camp, but his agent, "Bus" Cook, took forever and a week to negotiate with the team. Why? I think he's a newbie as an agent, and hasn't got clue one about contracts, getting clients to camp on time, etc., and probably had 20 dozen other things going on at once.

Mr. Cook also illustrates just what is wrong with a lot of guys who are player agents. For every Leigh Steinberg, there are 3-4 amateur night types who are just looking to fatten their wallets and get their name in the paper just because their client is either from a high profile school (such as Joseph, who went to Miami), or an elite prospect.

It's the same thing in other sports, and it's one of the reasons player salaries are where they've been. The agents see all the press clippings for their clients, and decide they want some of that fame. Whatever happened to agents who simply stayed in the background?

James "Bus" Cook actually is a big name guy. You might have heard of one of his clients before... he goes by the name of Brett Farve.

I don't have a problem with what happened here. An agents only leverage they have on a team that drafted a kid is the fact that team will do anything to get them to camp on time. Everyday they're late to camp, it brings nothing but stress on the GM by the fans and by the coach (as was the case with Fassel getting pissed off). He (Bus) also knew that the Giants needed his guy bad. Giants up front wasn't that good last year in stopping the run and they need a HUGE man like Joseph to take on 2 O linemen so people like Strahan can get in and make tackles. From everything Joseph did at Miami he deserved the money but the Giants are notorious for being money grubbin ™™™™™s when it comes to signing draftee's.

Originally posted by IggyWH
    James "Bus" Cook actually is a big name guy. You might have heard of one of his clients before... he goes by the name of Brett Farve.

I don't have a problem with what happened here. An agents only leverage they have on a team that drafted a kid is the fact that team will do anything to get them to camp on time. Everyday they're late to camp, it brings nothing but stress on the GM by the fans and by the coach (as was the case with Fassel getting pissed off). He (Bus) also knew that the Giants needed his guy bad. Giants up front wasn't that good last year in stopping the run and they need a HUGE man like Joseph to take on 2 O linemen so people like Strahan can get in and make tackles. From everything Joseph did at Miami he deserved the money but the Giants are notorious for being money grubbin ™™™™™s when it comes to signing draftee's.
    Cook's also Favre's agent?! Until this year, I'd never heard of
    "Bus". In my eyes, what he did was way past wrong. He didn't have the professional courtesy to keep in touch with Giants GM Accorsi on a consistent (daily) basis. There's no arguing Joseph's credentials at Miami, but the right thing would've been to have him at Albany, signed, sealed, delivered, and on time.

I think the reason no one's heard of Bus until now is because Favre's never had a protracted contract squabble.

That's because Bus is notorious for shopping his guys... so if you want to keep a guy, you resign him before he's a free agent as in Brett's case.

You keep blaming Bus here... it's not him. He goes in looking at what other 1st round draft picks signed for and he then wants to get something in that neighborhood. It's all on the GM then to get the player signed and into camp on-time. Is Bus supposed to take a crappy deal to get his guy in camp on-time? NO... that's not his job... that's the GM's job.

Originally posted by IggyWH
    That's because Bus is notorious for shopping his guys... so if you want to keep a guy, you resign him before he's a free agent as in Brett's case.

You keep blaming Bus here... it's not him. He goes in looking at what other 1st round draft picks signed for and he then wants to get something in that neighborhood. It's all on the GM then to get the player signed and into camp on-time. Is Bus supposed to take a crappy deal to get his guy in camp on-time? NO... that's not his job... that's the GM's job.
    Yo, you're missing the point. Accorsi was trying to get the deal done, but it took Bus days to even bother returning one single call. What excuse does he have for that? How many other clients does he have besides Favre & Joseph? Since he's so low-profile, probably not that many. The GM & the agent are supposed to work together to get the player into camp on time.

Rookies are being signed to contracts based not so much on college performance, but on what potential is there as well. No deal can be construed as "crappy" if it's reasonable. Joseph played for a Miami team that dominated the Big East. The NFC East is a whole 'nother world, and he may not be an overnight success. Bus fumbled the ball, IMPO, and I'm sticking to that opinion.

Agents never comment on terms... the GM's always speak out on the agents though. Who's to say Bus was offered a deal that complete offended him and that's why he wouldn't return one single call?

I guess we just won't see eye to eye on this but you do make good points.

hobbyfan...

I think you need to take anything said about these situation with a huge grain of salt. There is a lot of He said/She said stuff going on when everthere is a problem with a player and a team.

The GM will present the situation in the most adventagous way he can for himself, and vis versa with the agent. Unless the agent agreed that it took him two days to return a phone call, then I wouldn't blindly accept the GMs word on it.

Rookies are running into the money squander problem. If you are roughly top 10 material. Give or take a few numbers in each years draft, you will get a higher salary then another rookie no matter how good u were in college.

I cant remember EXACTLY what was said but the reason leftwhich is NOT signing with the jags is cause he is not given 4-8 pick money

It was something in the range of 10 mil per top 12 picks in signing bonuses

His location, he wants more then 6-8 mil

Please remember these are not exact numbers but are good enough to show the contrast between a picks location

Jay