Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Bill In Congress To Suspend Passports For Owed Taxes

Owe the IRS $50,000 or more in taxes? Lose your passport. You do not need to be charged or convicted. If the IRS alleges it you lose your passport.

http://www.thedailyeconomist.com/201...pend-your.html

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Yeah I saw something like that on foxnews. I guess that they are afraid that someone will owe a lot of taxes and skip the country.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

Yeah I saw something like that on foxnews

i thought you said work blocked hate sites?

Country
    See phenomenalcards's Items on eBay

Not really something I have to worry about lol.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I don't have a problem with that either to keep someone who owes from skipping or just taking away that privilege. I think it's more of the latter in my opinion.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country
    See AUTaxMan's Items on eBay

That basically means the IRS could arbitrarily assess you $50,000.01 and keep you from leaving the country. Just because you have been assessed does not mean that you actually owe the taxes.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I don't have a problem with that either to keep someone who owes from skipping or just taking away that privilege. I think it's more of the latter in my opinion.

As our resident tax guy says below, the IRS can know that you owe...oh, say $5000 but say that you owe $50k and prevent you from leaving the country.

Furthermore, this spits in the face of due process. Previously it took a court order to rescind your passport priveledges, now it can be taken at the whim of an IRS auditor. This takes the authority out of the hands of the court system and places it in the hands of a government agency.

IRS agent says you owe $50k -> Dept of Justice revokes your passport -> you either pay whatever the IRS says or you never get your passport back and since it wasn't a court action that took your passport, you can't appeal.

That basically means the IRS could arbitrarily assess you $50,000.01 and keep you from leaving the country. Just because you have been assessed does not mean that you actually owe the taxes.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

i thought you said work blocked hate sites?

You said it not me.

SCF Rewards
    Country

As our resident tax guy says below, the IRS can know that you owe...oh, say $5000 but say that you owe $50k and prevent you from leaving the country.

Furthermore, this spits in the face of due process. Previously it took a court order to rescind your passport priveledges, now it can be taken at the whim of an IRS auditor. This takes the authority out of the hands of the court system and places it in the hands of a government agency.

IRS agent says you owe $50k -> Dept of Justice revokes your passport -> you either pay whatever the IRS says or you never get your passport back and since it wasn't a court action that took your passport, you can't appeal.

I am with you on this one but I am pretty sure that there is going to be some higher authority than just a tax auditor. I am sure this one is going to go all the way to the Supreme Court and they are going to say no.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

wasn't speaking to assessments or amounts they say you owe, but if you legitimately owe the tax I have no issue... but then I don't know how they determine and assessment as opposed to legitimately owing the tax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast