Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Downward Spiral of the Hobby

Hello all,

Another day has come on gone and yet again I have heard bad news about the hobby. Ignoring all the business that goes on with the major manufacturers, I am more concerned with the collectors out there that continue to give the rest of us a bad name.

I am not going to name any names but one of the alleged scammers is a major retailer and they are online everyday selling 1000s of dollars of cards to collectors. What I heard about them is that they do not mail out case hits that their customers pull on their online show and this just makes me cringe and makes me not want to go to their show anymore.

I mean come on, these customers are buying cards b/c they love the hobby and they are spending 100s if not 1000s of dollars on your stuff and you're not even mailing out cards for MORE of a profit? Give me a break.

The other situation involves a teenager that fake his age and scammed a bunch of people online as well. In this case it was the fault of the buyers as well since they trusted the child, but come on. It looks like he will get what's coming to him since he has already gotten a call from paypal but all of this negativity just paints such a black cold around the hobby and reminds me time and time again it should be about FUN and not money. Rant over.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (105)
    Country
    See penalty-man's Items on eBay

Hello all,

I am not going to name any names but one of the alleged scammers is a major retailer and they are online everyday selling 1000s of dollars of cards to collectors.

Major retailer scams? That...blows ;)
    Better send out the swat team.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See sp0odini's Items on eBay

What I heard about them is that they do not mail out case hits that their customers pull on their online show and this just makes me cringe and makes me not want to go to their show anymore.

I mean come on, these customers are buying cards b/c they love the hobby and they are spending 100s if not 1000s of dollars on your stuff and you're not even mailing out cards for MORE of a profit? Give me a break.

Which one is that if you don't mind me asking?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I used to take part in some of these....Id love to know which Major retailer this is about. You can Pm me, if you don't want to post it.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Boston Bruins
    See PizdecInc's Items on eBay

i know a place that got a lot of heat latley. and will keep getting heat .. too bad .

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Boston Bruins
    See PizdecInc's Items on eBay

Major retailer scams? That...blows ;)
    Better send out the swat team.

haha, nice one ;)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

i know a place that got a lot of heat latley. and will keep getting heat .. too bad .

It really is a shame to me and how he comes on everyday like nothing is wrong. It seems to me that all of the retailers that come on everyday to sell cards have something seriously wrong with them.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (105)
    Country
    See penalty-man's Items on eBay

Not to mention he refuses to show his face. What kind of weirdo is this mysterious man? That certainly does blowout the competition for creepiness.

SCF Rewards
    Country

In my other hobby (reptiles) there is a website called the Board of Inquiry (BOI for short) people can go on there and post their bad deals with anyone. The have to use their real names (the site owner verifies it) and they have to post proof of the bad deal. Countless scammers have been outed on this site and several people who change names and businesses like they change their underwear are constantly being revealed. This site has saved hobbyists, beginner and advanced, tens of thousands of dollars over the years.

What does that have to do with the card collecting hobby you might be wondering? Well its rather simple. Every hobby has its scammers. Part of the problem is that no one is willing to come forward and try to nail these guys. The owner of the BOI started his site after he was ripped off by someone. He has been sued for all sorts of things over the years by people claiming the site is slanderous and libelous and any number of things. He has never lost a case and in fact I don't recall him ever going to court. Why, because its all the truth.

My point is that it would be nice if there was a place that people in any hobby could go to to find out who the scammers and the straight shooters are. How will this thread affect the honest dealers out there? The OP did not name names, and although I think its a shame I can understand it. On the other hand, how many people, not knowing the scammer he is referring to, will avoid the honest dealers on line.

I'm not saying the answer is a BOI type forum for cards. It would be nice but it takes a lot of dedication and a lot of money. All I am saying is if you have proof that someone is ripping people off spread the word.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

^ That site is a great idea, but like you said this hobby has ALWAYS had scammers with loads and loads of proof of what they do for a living and nothing has been done. The crimes range from schill bidding, to patch faking to not paying for a card or wax. Money is truly the root of all evil and it's a shame that certain people are painting this huge dark cloud over something that should be enjoyable for everyone.

Personally things like this make me want to quit the hobby altogether and I strongly believe that if more people took my perspective, something would be done about these people. I am not the type to buy things online since I like busting product live so none of this affects me directly, but like I said it's just a crying shame that so many innocent people are being taken advantage of. This is worse than taking ice cream from a crying baby for pete's sake!!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast