Are NFL hiring policies fair???

Ok, I was thinking about this, and it made me wonder. A couple years back, the Detroit Lions were penalized by the NFL for hiring Steve Mariuci without interviewing a minority candidate. In effect, they knew who they wanted, interviewd him, and hired him. A whole bunch of "affirmative action" groups pitched a fit, saying it wasnt fair for them to not interview a minority candidate. My question is this- the Chiefs just did the same thing, only with a minority candidate- Herm Edwards. They knew who they wanted, interviewed him, and hired him. Why no complaints now?? Is there a double standard in NFL hiring policies? Curious to see what everyone thinks

Ed
    No more trading. buying and selling only. Trading has become impossible

2. Kronozio

Ed, I'm not sure about this but maybe that rule didn't apply since Edwards was traded for? The Jets received a few draft picks for him, similar to what the Bucs did for Gruden.

personally.. i think the whole topic is ridiculous... i see no point in interviewing someone you have no intentions on hiring.... as a personel manager at my place of employment i would not waste my time interviewing someone just because a piece of paper with a stamp on it says i have to... i have better things to do.