Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See lizard-jd's Items on eBay

1982 SI article about getting autographs - long but interesting!

Found this the other day. Cool to read how it was getting autographs back in 1982 (and before). This is when Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, etc. were still signing. I guess some things never change.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...5417/index.htm

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Great article so far. I read about a page and a half of it. It reminds me of some of the horror stories that I heard about today's autograph collectors.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See darryl-zero's Items on eBay

So many cool tidbits in that article:Mike Marshall was right about his auto....2.50 to get in the show and 3 bucks for a Hank Aaron auto!......who wouldn't want a Noonie Marquis. I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.
    I NEED 02/03 Topps Heritage Calder Cloth cards!!!
    Always looking for signed Philadelphia Sports Illustrateds!
    Have an odd Richie Ashburn item? I might want it!
    Looking for 66-67 Topps Hockey

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Very interesting reading. I remember as a kid in 1983 going to a card show in Maryland where Cal Ripken Jr. and Eddie Murray were signing. Your $1 admission ticket got you one autograph from each. We got them on a few cards and I don't remember anybody getting baseballs signed back then.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See nickcox93's Items on eBay

Read the whole article it was good. Some stuff has changed like how much you pay at a show and some has not changed like players not wanting to sign autographs.