Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

Card companies are doing more harm to the rookie card market than good. There is absolutely no need to produce up to 150 rookie year cards of a player but that's what we're seeing nowadays. I see the majority of modern RCs as a short-term way for card companies to sell products and collectors to make a quick buck while they're hot. The days of the definitive, one-of-a-kind rookie card are long gone and I can't see how 95% of todays overproduced RCs can hold any significant value in 20-30 years time.

SCF Rewards
    Country

At the same time the rpas don't hVe any long term views on them so it is hard to say what they will and won't do. A rookie car is a rookie card. And I think that the nicer they are more sale value potentially looking back on these players fine cards. Dominion and cup particularly whether or not they were reproduced they have that value. I dO agree they need to prove themselves and not just be potential players they need to earn that respect.

Rookie cards are already increasing in value.

But I do think they need to release a vintage product with few rookies and simple base cards would be a very hot product if not over produced.

Sorry for errors my iPhone likes to correct things and change sords

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See derzockersports's Items on eBay

I think it's a definite - maybe.

There's a lot of different forces that factor into the equation. Orr RCs are astronomical because of straight supply and demand. Gretzky RCs are the same way, to a certain degree. Today, the market factors are different, but the same principles apply. Instead of having 1 or 2 options, there are low-end, mid-end, and high-end options often with multiple offerings at each level. But supply and demand still rule the equation. We all complain about the supply today...

The question is... will the demand eventually get there? And it's hard to say. It depends heavily on the next generation or two of collectors and what happens to our collections when we we are finished with them. I kind of think of it this way... in 20, 30, or 40 years, will more or less people want a Crosby (or whoever) RC than today? If the answer is yes, then values will go up.

[The next question is... who among us will still be collecting in another 20-30 years to 'reap' the rewards?]

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Devyn0417's Items on eBay

Keep locking our sport out and the answer is simple.

Regarding rookies and values, don't get me started on how the card companies mass produce players who have done NOTHING to date. Ie: Islanders Calvin De Haan, really ? Still not NHL ready, and good luck ever being a top 4 DMan.

So let's talk rookies and look at the last 10 Calder winners. Have their values greatly increased or any increase, or is the argument more of a decrease. And this is just the Calder winner, imagine the rest of the class. Finding value is like buying lottery tickets, maybe that's a better discussion for return over 20-30 years.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Interesting Chart above.

Heatley cards are in the tank to stay. They will never recover. They have seen an 80% drop or more.

Barrett Jackman was never a consideration for anything. Playing in Stl. is like being invisible. Never any hobby love.

Raycroft done and done. Tie Domi 10 cent Leaf and Premier cards from the mid-90's are worth more

Ovechkin's cards have dropped off a good 25-30%

Malkin keeps on plugging away. Many of his cards are on a Roller-Coaster, but he is staying relatively popular.

Kane's cards have fallen off more than Ovechkin's as few like his attitude. He won't amount to anything 50 years from now.

Mason like Raycroft, done and done

Tyler Myers cards were as hot as pancakes over a year ago, now they have cooled like uneaten scrambled eggs. Small market syndrome

Jeff Skinner - Cards have cooled off so that many attractive auctions aren't getting a look. Typical Canes syndrome. Fans and collectors only care about Canes cards for the time it takes them to cool off to less than half their value.

Landeskog is one of the flavour's of the week/month, but expect that to cool off after a few seasons under his belt. He is also playing in a place where people live in caves.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

I do likw the list and it is very interestingand centrehice is on the mark on every single one. I think we should do a list of the top rookie for every year. those are the ones who have the best chance to become something great.

01-02 kovalchuk
    02-03 Nash
    03-04 Fleury
    05-06 Crosby, Ovechkin
    06-07 Malkin
    07-08 Toews
    08-09 Stamkos
    09-10 Tavares
    10-11 Hall
    11-12 Hopkins
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Devyn0417's Items on eBay

Last edited by DeanCrandall; 09-30-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: 90s

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (4)
    Country
    See mothepipes's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

When i was 12 people where paying 100$ for the Federov and Jagr O-Pee-chee Premier rookies, how much are these going for today.Same thing will hapen with these guys wheter there HOF material or not when they lace em up.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'd say they are closer to ticking time bombs than to ticking gold mines. They might blow up and be worth very little, but they're extremely unlikely to see some sudden increase in value.

There's just no reason for even the best of today's cards to take off. We all know almost exactly how many cards of each player exists, and the market value for most are set shortly after release. You may get a good deal on an undervalued player, but there are just so many cards of everyone that scarcity isn't going to be much of a problem going forward. Sure, there are only 99 Crosby Cup rookies, but there are many other options - his SPA, SPX, etc. The same can't be said of the older rookies.

If you're investing in today's cards, it's hopefully short-term.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Here are the strongest 5 Players Sales, in the Low End Hockey Card Category:

1. Bobby Orr - everything, and I mean everything sells. I have sold over 300 Bobby Orr cards of less than $20.00 value, in 2 auctions or less.

2. Eddie Shack - does not matter what it is, it sells.

3. Felix Potvin - even his Kings stuff is starting to sell. Another player where even 25 cent inserts sell like Hotcakes.

4. Mark Recchi - Probably the most well-liked Meat and Potatoes player to ever play. His low enders sell unreal, and fast.

5. Trevor Linden - heaps of hobby love. His low-ball inserts and cheap Rookie cards move immediately every day. His Parallels sell better than Gordie Howes.

You can also slot in Ken Dryden, anywhere after Orr. So few of his cards in immaculate condition, and nothing much since his retirement have kept him uber-strong.
    Last edited by centrehice; 09-30-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast