Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country

OK, so I cam across these two cards on ebay and it seems fishy to me. Maybe some of the experts can check it out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251167454877...84.m1438.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261112987942...84.m1438.l2649

They are both 1/1 from the same year and even have the same design. I just don't understand how there can be two 1/1s so similar. So do you think they are fakes or are they real?

There are usually 4 printing plates per card (sometimes more) and the companies label them all 1/1 to make it appear like there are more 1/1 cards than there really are in the set. People would prefer four 1/1 cards to having 1 card numbered to 4 it seems (or that's what the companies prefer).
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mjr_sportscards's Items on eBay

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I was a little anxious

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rpbluesman's Items on eBay

There used to be a great website called Fake Patch Report or something to that extent, where people could post pics and report ebay and other website auctions/listings with suspected or confirmed fake patches. Patches are by far my favorite relic cards. There aren't as many patch pieces as potential basic jersey swatches and some patch cards are totally awesome looking. As for tips for identifying fake patches, there is no sure fire 100% way to detect fakes, but there are a few tips to help the weary buyer.

1 - Does the patch correspond to the date on the card?
    Be especially weary of new-looking patches. If the card is too old it could be a fake. For instance, I once saw a 2006 Inaugural Season Cardinals Patch on a 2005 Card....you could even see the 2006 from the patch. Completely fake.

2 - Look for "Patch" or "Jersey Prime."
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-Prime-Pat...item2a25d254d1
    That is a fake patch. Look under the patch window. It only says "jersey". All patch cards from 2004 and on have all denoted the patch by saying patch or jersey-prime.

3 - Look for low #'d cards
    Along with the same link, check out the card's numbering. /261 is far too high for any patch card, much less one of that awesome appearance. Look for most patches to be #'d less than 100. The better the patch, the lower the #'ing (in most cases).

4 - Research other cards from the set
    If you suspect a fake, look for other completed auctions (to match serial #'s), or look at other auctions in general to see if there are any similar looking patches in a given set.

5 - Ultimately if it's too good to be true it probably is. Buyer Beware.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sportscardsuncensored.com does a lot of patch spotting, or did.

There's also Fakepatcheonthebay (http://www.fakepatchonthebay.com/ cut and paste because SCF seemst to redirect to ebay)
    Last edited by XL5; 11-12-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12