Mantle 1951 Bowman GAI 4 for $1,250 ? (pic)

I posted this in the baseball section but I should have added the pic and now I can't figure out how to do it so I apoligze for adding a new post hear. Please feel free to remove the original.

I have been offered a 1951 Mantle Bowman in GAI 4 for $1,250. I track the sale of this card on ebay but have not seen any by GAI. Recent PSA 4s sales have gone for between $2,200 and $2,700.

Is there a real difference between GAI and PSA? The card looks so centered that it makes me nervous. The seller has only a few sellers feedbacks on ebay but 1 was for a $400 card.

I checked the serial # on the GAI site and it matches up.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I don't know if I'm remembering right, but I think you made a post about a 52 Topps Mantle a week or two ago graded by a bogus grading company. I must say that this one is a lot better buy because it is guaranteed to be the real thing. I could almost assure you that a GAI 4 51 Bowman would bring at least $2000. If you've got the cash, this is a good buy in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you happen to have Becketts? If so, can you tell me the bv? Thanks.

4. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    the 1951 Mickey Mantle books for $8000 in mint condition so i would guess by the VG-EX that it should bring a value of around $3500-4000

SMR on a PSA 5 is $2750. You can usually avg out to about 75% for a 4, 65% of that for a 3. My guess is the GAI would fall somewhere in that price range, though the centering is very good and would probably get to the high end.

My estimate would be between $1750 - $2100

It's odd that the seller is offering is offering that card so cheap....Caveat Emptor

Caveat Emptor indeed! The seller is in San Diego and I am in NYC. The seller only has two sale feedbacks on ebay both for 3 figures but he could have created those himseld with an alias. Thus, I said that I wanted to have the cards picked up by a friend or messenger. At first he was cool with it and it turns out that my good friend is going there on Sunday for a meeting. When I told the seller that my friend would be there Sunday and would exchange the card for the money order he wanted he said he wanted cash. When I said okay to that, he said Sunday was no good. When I suggested first thing Monday before my friend left, he said that was no good but I could mail him a MO and he would mai lthe card. When I said I would send a messenger service with cash he said I was being disrespectful and an SOB. I think he was trying to pull a scam. Caveat Emptor indeed!

Good thinking on your part. I would never, ever send a MO to someone for an item that expensive. You are entirely at the mercy of the seller in that case.

The price was a little to good to be true, which is why I put the caveat emptor in there in the first place.

By the way, a Mint(9) 51 Bowman Mantle is $55k, a NM(7) one is $8k. :)