Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See football-4ever's Items on eBay

What happened to traders just wanting to help other traders ?

I know my want list is small and rather specific, but what happened to just trading to help each other out. I've repeatedly sent cards to other traders who didn't have any of my needs, but I could always find something in their list that a friend or fellow trader may be able to use. Guess it's become all about the money value and less about the sport of trading. I'm also very willing to give up a higher end card to obtain several lower priced cards from my want list, and although I realize it's my choice, it very rare that other traders feel the same way. I will always continue to help any trader if I have something they require, even if it does cost me a postage stamp.

WANT LIST UPDATED NOV 4, 2012

2008-09 UPPER DECK BLACK DIAMOND HOCKEY: (-1)

QUAD DIAMOND: 209 (STAMKOS) will purchase at a fair price......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2009-10
    UPPER DECK BLACK DIAMOND DOUBLES, TRIPLES AND QUAD
    CARDS (-17)

112-126-182-187-192-193-199-200-202-205-210-211-214-217-218-221-222

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPPER DECK BLACK DIAMOND DOUBLES,TRIPLES AND QUAD CARDS
    (-19)

188-189-199-200-202-203-205-206-207-208-212-213-214-215-217-218-220-221-222
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010-11 PANINI STICKERS: (-5)
    #'S 8-38-48-158-187

Currently updating my photo bucket, but please view my traders at the linc below: (please let me know if this linc isn't functioning properly)
    s1151.beta.photobucket.com/user/bucketsago/library/

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Well, there are several reasons. Mostly 4-Fold.

1. Market is saturated with cards, collectors feel lost when they see issues that may have as many as 20 cards per specific player including some very low-printed cards that they will never see.

2. The Lockout puts a real damper on trading for those that are not hard-core. The part time Trader loves trading during the season....... No season, no trading.

3. New Issue Cost vs Older Issue cost and lower Re-Sale. Let's face it the 2-3 higher end products at the top are increasing their Retail Price Point. Are single card sales prices increasing in re-sale to match the box increases??? - Absolutely not - Re-Sale prices are low on everything except fools that pay thousands for Shields.

4. Shipping Cost: On January 22, of 2012 The United States Postal System increased it's International Shipping fees by a whopping 83.7%. The two cards in a bubble envelop from the USA to Canada used to cost between .93 cents and $1.13. Those now cost $3.00 exactly.

You don't see helping hands and 1 card low-end trades anymore. Why would any SCF Member ship a $1.00 card at a $3.00 cost.

We are all still here and helping each other when possible,, but we are squeezed from all sides now. Our hobby dangles on a cliff.
    Last edited by ravens_creed; 11-08-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: removed profanity

SCF Rewards
    Country

Agree 110% with you.
    stupid society and lock out...

Well, there are several reasons. Mostly 4-Fold.

1. Market is saturated with cards, collectors feel lost when they see issues that may have as many as 20 cards per specific player including some very low-printed cards that they will never see.

2. The Lockout puts a real damper on trading for those that are not hard-core. The part time Trader loves trading during the season....... No season, no trading.

3. New Issue Cost vs Older Issue cost and lower Re-Sale. Let's face it the 2-3 higher end products at the top are increasing their Retail Price Point. Are single card sales prices increasing in re-sale to match the box increases??? - Absolutely not - Re-Sale prices are low on everything except fools that pay thousands for Shields.

4. Shipping Cost: On January 22, of 2012 The United States Postal System increased it's International Shipping fees by a whopping 83.7%. The two cards in a bubble envelop from the USA to Canada used to cost between .93 cents and $1.13. Those now cost $3.00 exactly.

You don't see helping hands and 1 card low-end trades anymore. Why would any SCF Member ship a $1.00 card at a $3.00 cost.

We are all still here and helping each other when possible,, but we are ff™™™™g Squeezed from all sides now. Our hobby dangles on a cliff.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

all of the above, plus EBAY vs breaking expensive $$$$ packs and having non pc stuff to trade away to someone else who would appreciate it more ie, opened 4 packs of artifacts and got zip, so out of frustration bought the last pack in the box, got a Jagr js/125, so for my 50$ I got one js card. I felt like I tossed away $50 bucks...but on ebay I won a Schwartz emerald for $3.50...So for the most part I just buy what I want, but on the other side, don't have very many traders...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See fifthcup90's Items on eBay

While those are all accurate reasons, I still think it is sad if collectors can't drop a couple of bucks to help a fellow trader out. I didn't post to toot my own horn, but once or twice a month I send out some little oddball something or other at a loss of envelope, postage and time, and feel good about doing it. Just sent something out today. Not looking for anything in return, just glad to help someone who needs something I have. I've had plenty of traders throw in generous things for me, and it just goes around. Would be nice to think hobbyists could find pleasure in helping each out, even if it costs a couple of bucks.
    I collect: Kurri, '70s Kelloggs and Topps hockey(also OPC), football, and baseball cards, vintage stars and World Series subset cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dmaksymyshyn's Items on eBay

I do what I can for others...and often feel the same way you do...but nothing I can do about it. Is what it is I guess. Kind of sucks.

New Member Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See manthis02's Items on eBay

if i had something you needed i'd still send it to yous for free..

so like
    free bump eh.
    my new flicker

Hidden Content

- ( IN ROCK WE TRUST )= (ITS ROCK or BUST)-

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well, seems to me, a lot of people on here are big time traders. I have only been on the site for 5-6 months, but I'm just a small time trader looking for specific cards for older sets...in 07-08. Most of the stuff I see on here is all newer cards and a lot of hem are in the $75-300 range. I'm not looking for many cards in that price range. Some of the responses I have gotten are for BV $8-10 jersey cards I need that they will sell for $10-12 delivered. That is ridiculous the offer price is the BV or above that.
    Whenever I have something I see someone wants, I will help out and get it to them, because if it's not in my personal collection, I don't need it at all. I am also one that doesn't care about the shipping charges. It's only $2-4 per package. If someone has something I want, I will gladly trade for over BV or help out pay for shipping costs if that's the issue. Just keep the trades happening and have everyone's want lists keep getting filled...
    Last edited by whbonney014; 11-06-2012 at 10:06 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree its not like it used to be .... when i was young, my friends and I didnt know the BV or SV of cards ... it was awsome to trade say kelly chase for rob blake depending on your idol.... but now i see more and more ,people only wanting to trade the Best Cards at High end prices.. for better or same value .... i guess as we grow up we tend to forget why we started doing this !!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

only on here for about a week. Just made my first trade today and it was a hockey trade :) (just have to see if we both get our cards lol) I gave him two 11-12 titanium game gear cards mid to low end players(for his set) and geoffrion artifact emerald /99(he is habs fan) and I got a 05-06 shocase ink briere(wanted briere auto for pc) and benn YG rc( I like benn and didnt have a rc of his) and we never tried to get the better price out of the deal it was a nice solid hockey trade. Reminded me of the good'ol days back in pre-school lol. But have had some people trying to clean out my fridge for a couple inserts and low end jerseys card, even after I counter with a decent trade they re-counter with a fridge cleaner lol. Anyways hope to make some more deals in the future and happy trading!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast