Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Christianity and our forefathers

I love when I here the USA was not founded on Christian principles, and the few sayings people take out of context to prove it.

But how do you explain these?

George Washington

.“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.”

John Adams

“We recognize no Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!” April 18, 1775

"Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." 1798

"The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity. I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God." June 28, 1813

The Holy Ghost carries on the whole Christian system in this earth. Not a baptism, not a marriage, not a sacrament can be administered but by the Holy Ghost. . . . There is no authority, civil or religious – there can be no legitimate government but what is administered by this Holy Ghost. There can be no salvation without it. All without it is rebellion and perdition, or in more orthodox words damnation. December 21, 1809

John Q Adams

In the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior. The Declaration of Independence laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity.

Ben Franklin
    “I have lived, sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that 'except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it.' I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel....Therefore, I beg leave to move that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations be held in this assembly every morning”

John Hancock

"In circumstances as dark as these, it becomes us, as Men and Christians, to reflect that whilst every prudent measure should be taken to ward off the impending judgments, …at the same time all confidence must be withheld from the means we use; and reposed only on that God rules in the armies of Heaven, and without His whole blessing, the best human counsels are but foolishness… Resolved; …Thursday the 11th of May…to humble themselves before God under the heavy judgments felt and feared, to confess the sins that have deserved them, to implore the Forgiveness of all our transgressions, and a spirit of repentance and reformation …and a Blessing on the … Union of the American Colonies in Defense of their Rights [for which hitherto we desire to thank Almighty God]…That the people of Great Britain and their rulers may have their eyes opened to discern the things that shall make for the peace of the nation…for the redress of America’s many grievances, the restoration of all her invaded liberties, and their security to the latest generations."

Patrick Henry
    “It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.”

Thomas Jefferson
    Almighty God, Who has given us this good land for our heritage; We humbly beseech Thee that we may always prove ourselves a people mindful of Thy favor and glad to do Thy will. Bless our land with honorable ministry, sound learning, and pure manners. Save us from violence, discord, and confusion, from pride and arrogance, and from every evil way. Defend our liberties, and fashion into one united people, the multitude brought hither out of many kindreds and tongues. Endow with Thy spirit of wisdom those whom in Thy name we entrust the authority of government, that there may be justice and peace at home, and that through obedience to Thy law, we may show forth Thy praise among the nations of the earth. In time of prosperity fill our hearts with thankfulness, and in the day of trouble, suffer not our trust in Thee to fail; all of which we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Washington quote is a fake and you should be ashamed for disseminating it when a simple Google search proves it as such. http://fakehistory.wordpress.com/201...rican-schools/

That first Adams quote also was never said by him. http://fakehistory.wordpress.com/201...an-revolution/

As for the rest, I'm not going to bother: showing the first two to be total fabrications is enough to bring the entire post into question. If you want to repost these things without bothering to check if they're factual, then I have nothing more to say on it. It speaks for itself.

that's funny, even the site itself is questioned, but since it is on the internet, "it must be true".

Quote Originally Posted by shrewsbury View Post
    that's funny, even the site itself is questioned, but since it is on the internet, "it must be true".

If people deny or confirm something long enough people will believe them, I call it the Slender Man effect. The simple fact of the matter is that most of these men were religions but were smart enough not to bind their religion on their new country. Not even sure what the point is in denying this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by boba View Post
    If people deny or confirm something long enough people will believe them, I call it the Slender Man effect. The simple fact of the matter is that most of these men were religions but were smart enough not to bind their religion on their new country. Not even sure what the point is in denying this fact.
    Both sides take the part they want and ignore the other half:
    "The founding fathers were Christian. So this is a Christian nation!"

"The founding fathers created a non-religious nation. So they weren't religious and there for not Christian!"

Neither statement is correct, but that won't stop people from saying them.

Quote Originally Posted by shrewsbury View Post

Here comes my date...he's a french model

Let's assume for the sake of argument that all of the formentioned quotes by our founding fathers were true and that they did indeed want the United States to be a christian nation. Why not just write it in the constitution? Why even include freedom of religion in the first amendment?
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Exactly, veg. It doesn't matter that they were Christian, they created a nation separate from religion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12