Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 171 of 282 FirstFirst ... 71121161168169170171172173174181221271 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 2816

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

The price isn't ridiculous. I would be willing to pay $3-5 and the seller has it up for $10. If you read my post however, I'm not worried about the price, I'm more concerned with the seller's actions.

I'd rather not post the link because the seller may be a member on here. He/she has not done anything illegal in a manner that would jeopardize the hobby (i.e. selling fake patch cards). If I am overreacting, then I'd rather not drag his/her name in the mud. I just think that if you tell someone you are willing to sell a card, and provide a quote for shipping, there is some expectation that you will be offered a price. Especially when this card was not even listed. For the seller to put the card on eBay and expect the buyer who contacted them to compete for it with others is wrong. I'd understand if it was a big name player or a card from a premium set. This card is neither, it is a minor league card of a guy who played a few seasons in the league but left to little fanfare. I've seen a 4 or 5 copies of the card around, but for many reasons, (condition, willing to ship to Canada, reasonable shipping costs, etc.) I was hoping that I would be able to make a deal with this seller.

There are other copies of this minor league card that I can buy, so getting the card is not the issue. I just question how this seller handled the situation. Can you imagine making a deal through PM on this site to buy a card. The only thing you are waiting to hear back on is price, once the deal is posted and agreed upon everything will be great. Instead, you get a link from the seller telling you that he just put the card up in a thread and is waiting for about a week to see what he gets offered and you are free to post your offer. He's not breaking any rules, but to me that shows a complete lack of respect for me as a potential buyer who came to that seller, looking for a card he couldn't sell.

I have no malice towards the seller, its their card and they are free to ask what they wish, I just felt that they handled the situation poorly. It's like the old saying ... "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush."

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See habscards's Items on eBay

While I agree with you that it was not a very ethical means of selling. I will just play Devils Advocate here for a second.

If I had a person message me out if the blue and asked me about a card that I had listed a few years ago, I would think that the card may sell for a little more money than expected. As a seller I would assume that the card does not show up often. If no other copies of that card are available right now and if nothing shows up in completed listings then I would think that the card is a little more rare. If I were selling it I would hope that their would be one more person who is looking for this card as well and a potential bidding war may happen.

Now without knowing what card exactly that you are talking about it makes it a little harder to say. I still say that you are in the right and the seller may have a reason to think that his card may sell for a little more. Unfortunately for lots of sellers greed usually comes out ahead.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The seller can sell it for whatever he wants, regardless of the actual value. While trying to raise the stakes to make a buyer pay the highest price may not be the most ethical of selling tactics, he's still free to do whatever he wants. It's his card.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

While I agree with you that it was not a very ethical means of selling. I will just play Devils Advocate here for a second.

If I had a person message me out if the blue and asked me about a card that I had listed a few years ago, I would think that the card may sell for a little more money than expected. As a seller I would assume that the card does not show up often. If no other copies of that card are available right now and if nothing shows up in completed listings then I would think that the card is a little more rare. If I were selling it I would hope that their would be one more person who is looking for this card as well and a potential bidding war may happen.

Now without knowing what card exactly that you are talking about it makes it a little harder to say. I still say that you are in the right and the seller may have a reason to think that his card may sell for a little more. Unfortunately for lots of sellers greed usually comes out ahead.

Cool, thanks for the opinion. I never considered that angle. While I still think it was a poor tactic to use on a card that shouldn't really go up in value ever, I can't get into the seller's head to see what he is thinking. He does own a store on eBay and may operate an LCS in the real world. If so, then it would be in his best interests to get maximum value for the card.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The seller can sell it for whatever he wants, regardless of the actual value. While trying to raise the stakes to make a buyer pay the highest price may not be the most ethical of selling tactics, he's still free to do whatever he wants. It's his card.

If you reread my post, you'll note my second last sentence pretty much states what you have posted. No disagreement here.

Again, price is not the issue ... its the method he/she is using to sell the card after we discussed a potential deal.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

If i was in your spot I probably wouldn't be too pleased either, but all you can do is shrug your shoulders and say what you've already said, "His card, his rules."

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ebay issue, opinions please

Recently I saw a card on ebay selling for quite cheap, shipping on the listing was $70, I figured well maybe it was listed improperly and I can get it for a steal thinking maybe the seller would adjust the invoice for proper shipping within Canada. After a bit of thought I decided to contact the seller for a couple reasons: 1) I didn't want to pay $70 shipping if indeed that was what he was going to charge me. 2) I wanted the card and honestly didn't mind paying accordingly but hey who doesn't like a deal when they can get one.

I asked if shipping was indeed $70 and what that cost included (expresspost, insurance, a flight to my house to hand it to me etc) The seller replied that the cost of shipping was for both the card and shipping together. I explained I was interested in the card and that I had no issues paying for expresspost, tracking, insurance or whatever but that $70 was too much. The seller stated that included the card and shipping. I figured this is where it was going.

At this point I felt ok this guy is just trying to play the system to avoid paying extra fees on the final sale (does ebay charge fees on shipping now? I thought they did) I again stated I wanted it, I was going to bid but for my $70 I expected at the very least tracking, seller responds by saying no, only regular post. So, eventually I win the auction for a VERY low price but with the added ludicrous shipping charge I was in the ballpark of what I probably would've paid anyways.

Once again, I asked for an invoice with more reasonable charges for shipping (is there not an ebay policy regarding overcharging on shipping?) again, totally expected, the seller says nope $70 shipping regular post, if you're not going to pay I'll cancel the transaction and relist. He also sent me a scan of an invoice he printed off reversing the cost of the card and shipping.....not sure what that was supposed to prove but... So I bite the bullet and pay (I want the card)

Fast forward 3 weeks later, still no card, I msged the seller asking if he did send via tracking and I recieved some insanely garbled message and frankly I didn't understand. Now I know 3 weeks+ even within Canada is not the end of the world we've all had stuff take longer my concern is now the guy didn't send at all, if this all falls apart and I open a claim do i get reimbursed for the shipping charge as well or just the purchase price of the card? Was I foolish for paying the ludicrous shipping charge to begin with enabling this guy to thwart the system? Should I contact ebay re: the shipping charges?

Any opinions are welcomed.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Recently I saw a card on ebay selling for quite cheap, shipping on the listing was $70, I figured well maybe it was listed improperly and I can get it for a steal thinking maybe the seller would adjust the invoice for proper shipping within Canada. After a bit of thought I decided to contact the seller for a couple reasons: 1) I didn't want to pay $70 shipping if indeed that was what he was going to charge me. 2) I wanted the card and honestly didn't mind paying accordingly but hey who doesn't like a deal when they can get one.

I asked if shipping was indeed $70 and what that cost included (expresspost, insurance, a flight to my house to hand it to me etc) The seller replied that the cost of shipping was for both the card and shipping together. I explained I was interested in the card and that I had no issues paying for expresspost, tracking, insurance or whatever but that $70 was too much. The seller stated that included the card and shipping. I figured this is where it was going.

At this point I felt ok this guy is just trying to play the system to avoid paying extra fees on the final sale (does ebay charge fees on shipping now? I thought they did) I again stated I wanted it, I was going to bid but for my $70 I expected at the very least tracking, seller responds by saying no, only regular post. So, eventually I win the auction for a VERY low price but with the added ludicrous shipping charge I was in the ballpark of what I probably would've paid anyways.

Once again, I asked for an invoice with more reasonable charges for shipping (is there not an ebay policy regarding overcharging on shipping?) again, totally expected, the seller says nope $70 shipping regular post, if you're not going to pay I'll cancel the transaction and relist. He also sent me a scan of an invoice he printed off reversing the cost of the card and shipping.....not sure what that was supposed to prove but... So I bite the bullet and pay (I want the card)

Fast forward 3 weeks later, still no card, I msged the seller asking if he did send via tracking and I recieved some insanely garbled message and frankly I didn't understand. Now I know 3 weeks+ even within Canada is not the end of the world we've all had stuff take longer my concern is now the guy didn't send at all, if this all falls apart and I open a claim do i get reimbursed for the shipping charge as well or just the purchase price of the card? Was I foolish for paying the ludicrous shipping charge to begin with enabling this guy to thwart the system? Should I contact ebay re: the shipping charges?

Any opinions are welcomed.

You would be refunded the entire cost, including shipping.

SCF Rewards
    Country

There's something I don't understand. He says the shipping cost of 70$ includes the card and shipping, then why did he put the card for auction?
    If the real shipping is 6$, then the card would be 64$ according to what he says, so if the auction ends at 12$ despite the low bids, then he makes an extra 12$? Something stinks here...
    I would simply click on back or close the window and look up for other items instead of wasting my time with these weird sellers.
    I hope you get the item you bought.

SCF Rewards
    Country

There's something I don't understand. He says the shipping cost of 70$ includes the card and shipping, then why did he put the card for auction?
    If the real shipping is 6$, then the card would be 64$ according to what he says, so if the auction ends at 12$ despite the low bids, then he makes an extra 12$? Something stinks here...
    I would simply click on back or close the window and look up for other items instead of wasting my time with these weird sellers.
    I hope you get the item you bought.

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a card listed with exhorbitant shipping charges, if I was interested I always just pm'd the seller and 9 times out of 10 they say something along the lines of it being a mistake and yes I'll ship it for actual shipping costs. This guy stated from the get go that no the $70 only covers the $1.80 stamp and the card itself, again I suppose he thought he wouldn't be charged on the total sale including shipping. I do remember a seller posting cards for a BIN of $1 and shipping charges of what he actually wanted for the card and if I'm not mistaken even in the auction listing he was so bold as to explain why he was doing it a "screw ebay and their fees" kind of rant. He wasn't on ebay long.

Either way, I won't be dealing with a seller like this again, although I paid roughly what it would have cost me in any other auction this whole thing is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully the card arrives.

Page 171 of 282 FirstFirst ... 71121161168169170171172173174181221271 ... LastLast