Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redemption Question

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ari4l2010's Items on eBay

Redemption Question

Have a couple of questions for all you smarty pants here. :) Looking to buy a redemption card on eBay but not familiar with the process. Card is an Honorable Numbers redemption so needs a signature and fabric piece on it.

1) How do you redeem these cards? Do you send them away to the company and then they send the card back to you? If so, what is the turnaround time?
    2) With the Lockout in effect, are players even signing cards? Am I looking at a long wait for it?
    3) Are they even worth it? Better to buy a card being able to see the signature and fabric on it or better to buy it blind?
    4) What about price comparison? Which "should be" the cheaper option or are they both in the same price range regardless of card in hand or not?

Thanks a lot guys,

Alberto
    Last edited by RGM81; 12-22-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Mind the language

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See memorylanekidsonline's Items on eBay

ya 1) go on ud website and redeem it the info is on the card
    2) ya they are signing
    3) its usually a nice card
    4) redemptions are usually cheaper a little

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

First off, who is the player? Depending on who it is, the card may already be live. Some guys have already returned cards and UD will be shipping them out. As to the specific questions...

1) How do you redeem these cards? Do you send them away to the company and then they send the card back to you? If so, what is the turnaround time?

UpperDeck.com or your Certified Diamond Dealer. Your LCS may be able to redeem the card for you - apparently there's a better turnaround time because LCS get preference over just individual buyers. You'll have to create an account on the UD website if you choose to go it alone, and they will have a FAQ to guide you through the process. As far as turnaround time, it all depends on the player and whether they've returned the card. If it's already in stock they say 8-12 weeks, but if it's not been returned by the player/agent it's a total crap-shoot.

2) With the Lockout in effect, are players even signing cards? Am I looking at a long wait for it?

Yes they are. Wait times always vary.

3) Are they even worth it? Better to buy a card being able to see the signature and fabric on it or better to buy it blind?

I personally have made a point to avoid redemptions entirely. I've only ever had one card not get produced but I really don't like the waiting game.

4) What about price comparison? Which "should be" the cheaper option or are they both in the same price range regardless of card in hand or not?

Usually redemption cards are a fraction cheaper than the actual live card. Many collectors, myself included, prefer to just wait until the actual card is in collectors' hands before committing to the purchase. When a card goes live, the first couple live copies tend to sell for higher than the redemption.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Sdig14's Items on eBay

As a disclaimer, SOME players are signing during the lockout.

For example, I have been waiting on a SOTT for Ovechkin, Sid, and Malkin since July and UD has said numerous times they are trying to get dates but have nothing confirmed.

Normally these guys are not signing all that much in a normal year, usually a few times throughout the year, but I don't think any of them have signed for UD in the last 6 months or so IMO.

That being said, the redemption should be a bit cheaper, but that's also because you are not seeing the live card. You may get a one colour patch with a less than stellar auto, or you may hit it big with the best patch out of the entire run, it's a toss up.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So I got the Redemption and submitted it to UD online. The card is a Crosby Honorable Numbers /87. Any idea of what a fair wait time is?

SCF Rewards
    Country

So I got the Redemption and submitted it to UD online. The card is a Crosby Honorable Numbers /87. Any idea of what a fair wait time is?

Is it giving you a message when you check the status on their site? If it's in stock, then it will be fast. I'm guessing, though, that you may get something like "Athlete committed to signing. Please be patient." In that case, they're really at the mercy of the player although a single auto is always easier to fill than a multi-player auto (at least hard-signed ones).

Players are definitely signing. I had Panini tell me three weeks ago that they were waiting on a signature for one of my redemptions, and now it's on its way.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Should I even bother calling UD or is it too early? You are spot on with the quote Craig ;)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Send them an email, it's cheaper lol. If the card has been fulfilled, then you should get the card in a couple of weeks. If not you could be waiting for who knows how long. What year is your card?

SCF Rewards
    Country

It's 11-12 Crosby Honorable Numbers /87. What is a fair amount of time to wait. I submitted it on Jan 8.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Sdig14's Items on eBay

As a reference, Crosby still has not signed some early products from 2011, i.e. SPA, which has been almost a year.

My guess is guys like Sid, Ovy, Malkin, etc will do one big signing when they get them to do new 2012 stuff and do a mass signing, because it's clear they are having issues getting these guys to sign during the shortened season.

My guess is they sign after the playoffs are over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast