Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Is my 85 McGwire USA Auto a Fake??? (See Scan)

I bought it a local card show in the 1988 era. I paid $20 or $25 at the time. It looks very close to others I've compared it to, but I'm no pro.

I request your opinions....
    Will trade for the following items:
    * Any Mike Greenwell cards I don't already have
    * 1985 Series 1 U.S. Garbage Pail Kids PSA 9's or 10's
    * Old coins with silver content or bullion
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See leong1's Items on eBay

It looks a lot like the real McGwire autographs I've seen. No way to tell 100% if it's real, since you bought it at a card show. That's the problem with buying them from a 3rd party. Have you considered getting it authenticated?

Ps. If it is real, that's a very very nice card!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings Detroit Tigers Michigan Wolverines

The auto looks legit to me. However, the problem today seems to be that looks can be and often are deceiving. I would suggest that you send it in for authentification.

-Lewis

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yea, I'm well aware of how good the fakes can look. I considered sending it to PSA/DNA until I checked their rates and found out they get $75 for Big Mac. Thats more than I want to spend for "peace of mind". If I ever decide to sell it, I will def. send it in to PSA, but I dont think I can justify the cost as long as its in my PC.

Anyone else wanna chime in with their opinions of whether or not its real?

Thanks,
    Wayne

SCF Rewards
    Country

Quote Originally Posted by bostonwayno
    I bought it a local card show in the 1988 era. I paid $20 or $25 at the time. It looks very close to others I've compared it to, but I'm no pro.

I request your opinions....

Your best bet would be to have an expert look at it.

Your next best bet would probably go here and see if you can match it up:

http://www.mcgwire.com/randall/autograph2.html
    http://www.mcgwire.com/randall/autograph3.html

There are different signatures of McGwire and if you click the link at the bottom of the pages it will tell you which ones are fake and which ones are real.

If the one you have looks like a legit one then I'd go with legit. If it looks like a fake one then its probably that. If it looks like none of them then I wouldn't know.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Pwaldo - I know talking to an expert would be best, but I'm not going to pay for such a service at this time. This is why I am asking for amateur opinions on the topic.

FYI: Thats a cool site .. I'm going to test myself and see how good I am. I routinely look up Mac autos on ebay just for comparison purposes to my card so maybe I will do well.