Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Heads-Up re: History of Hockey Buyback Autos - DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!

Just want to give all collectors a heads-up that there are some eBay sellers who are posting their own PSA/DNA Certified autographs and including "History of Hockey" in the title in an effort to increase their views.

If you do a search for "History of Hockey Dryden" to find any Ken Dryden cards included in the product you will see that there is a seller who has 11 PSA/DNA certified Ken Dryden autographs for sale. My first thought was this guy must have busted a ton of the product and gotten EXTREMELY LUCKY. Then I took a peak at the History of Hockey autograph checklist. None of these are actually from History of Hockey.

There is just one Ken Dryden autograph card in HoH, which is posted on the product preview page, and noted on the checklist as a 1974-75 Topps card. As you can see from the preview it's a thick blue Sharpie autograph on the card.

This card is posted on eBay being represented as a History of Hockey autograph:

Normal blue BIC pen, OPC card. If a person didn't do their proper research they'd be thinking that this was from History of Hockey.

I'm sure that this is going to be one set of examples in a sea of them. Make sure that you're looking for the right cards and don't get taken in by somebody looking to make a buck off of the ITG name. Yes, they're still PSA/DNA certified autographs and you are getting an authentic autograph of Ken Dryden or whomever you may seek to purchase, but it is not a card from History of Hockey.

I know that there's a lot of player collectors out there who are weighing how to consider these cards and whether a History of Hockey card is a unique item for collection vis-a-vis the regular issue of a particular card. If you are one of those folks who is integrating a History of Hockey RC buyback as a card distinct from the standard issue RC, or you're doing the same for the autographs, make sure that you're aware of what's out there and that you're actually getting the History of Hockey card and not just a random buyback or certified autograph.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Blowout (8)
    Country
    See billindallas75's Items on eBay

On a somewhat related note, I'm actually considering (well actually beyond considering since I have the card with me, ready to mail off) having the Patrick Roy RC Topps auto graded by PSA/DNA. I likely would move the card at some point, but am wondering if people thought I might diminish the value. I think with a special card like that, getting the grading can only help, as the population report shows there's only a few that exist. Thoughts?

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

To be honest I saw crazy sale way over the grading BV one could have gotten. Many saw these cards as unique 1/1 but the fact is that anyone can take a patrick roy RC send it for authentification to beckett and the card would look the same and then he could say it came from HoH. So I was surpise to see some of the sale on these cards as for RC and IP auto, there is no way to trace them for sure to the History of hockey release. This is also why in the SCF Inventory, we took the decision to list only the art cards (original cards) and the ITG buyback since the are in a case, identified to the ITG HOH release and have a unique serial number. But in the case of the RC and IP auto there is no way to trace them back to the release.

If the card is really nice maybe if can raise the value but with some sales I saw on other rookie, hard to say but down the road this effect will fade when all relaise there is no way to trace them back. So the 1/1 aspect is not there at all and I feel some over paid for certain cards. I know I never buy IP auto because they normaly do not carry premium and for certain collector they destroy the card. Now with the auto certified as authentic, maybe not but still many do not collect cards with IP auto and would not be interested in paying premium. As for the rookie, the good thing is many really look in very good condition so that is the bonus in getting them. they are also certified as authentic. But for big rookie, down the road, a nice grade will help to sell a card IMO.
    Hidden Content

I collect all Montreal Canadien. Hidden Content for player, teams you collect

SCF Rewards
    Country

Coolhandluke;

The Rookie cards are identified on the Beckett label as being part of the History of Hockey product.

If I had it to do over again, I would have done the same with the Autographed Cards, PSA/DNA did not want to do this but I should have insisted.

I have contacted the eBay seller and asked him to remove the term History of Hockey from his auctions as the cards did not come from our product as RGM81 has pointed out.

Brian Price

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Blowout (8)
    Country
    See billindallas75's Items on eBay

I think with the Roy that the lack of HoH support will be moot. On the 1986 OPC release, 5 autographed cards have been submitted, 2 were only examined as being authentic autos, 2 were graded as 7's, and 1 as an 8. For the Topps release 6 autographed cards have been submitted, 2 as for authentic autos only (one of which now being mine), , 1 graded a 5, 2 graded as 7's, and 1 graded as an 8. Now I don't have access to any PSA hockey cards in this part of the country, so I've looked at scans on Ebay of PSA 7-8 and I think my card is likely to fall closer to 7 than 8, but maybe I'll get a nice surprise. Even if it does come back as a 7, it's of a small, select group of cards. I think not being a part of the HoH group will not be an issue, there's already enough of a premium.

I'm not sure if people are buying the autos because they're part of the HoH release moreso than they are unique cards that haven't been available to the market for a while as many were locked up in one collection. I've spoken to several people that have pointed to the chance to get a unique card as the reason they were going after it rather than the fact it's related to the HoH release. I'd be curious what those that have bought some of them say.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

I am so glad that I don't open boxes anymore.

Fraud, Theft, Forgery is the order of the day for anything made from 2005 onward.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have contacted the offending eBay seller who at first said he would remove the reference to History of Hockey on his auction.

He did not open product, these were his own cards and the inclusion of "History of Hockey" in the description can only be there to mislead buyers for whatever reason.

Let's see if he does make the change.

Brian Price

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

So, if ITG comes out with a set called Old Hockey Cards, will that phrase be banned to?
    I'm not defending this guy, as it's pretty obvious what his motives are, just thinking of future potential problems.

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

Coolhandluke;

The Rookie cards are identified on the Beckett label as being part of the History of Hockey product.

If I had it to do over again, I would have done the same with the Autographed Cards, PSA/DNA did not want to do this but I should have insisted.

I have contacted the eBay seller and asked him to remove the term History of Hockey from his auctions as the cards did not come from our product as RGM81 has pointed out.

Brian Price

I went over the box break section to look at image and my bad as the first time I check it, I totaly miss the fact they put In the Game Hystory of Hockey. So I will consider adding the rookie to the card database. Just not sure if I will make one entry per card with a print run or simply use the 4000 list you have on your site and use the number as the card number in the database. At least these can be trace to the release and would explain why some ebay buyer spent so much.

This also mean that having the card graded could potentially reduce the value in certain case.

Sorry for missing this and thank you to clarify the point to us.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Devyn0417's Items on eBay

Same seller is doing it with more then just the Dryden, has 48 auctions (Orr, Gretzky, Belliveau, Howe etc.) with History in the name, and people can be naive and think its innocent but we all know why the title is the way it is. Removing , blocking this seller from any of my future searches. Thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast