Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jta272's Items on eBay

New to collecting and completely lost...

I'm just getting into collecting modern hockey cards and I'm completely lost. Take Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for example; I would like to start collecting some of his rookie cards, but which cards are rookie cards and which are parallels and which are considered inserts? Why does his 'The Cup' /99 rookie go for more than his 'The Cup' /93 rookie? Isn't the /93 rookie rarer and therefore should be more valuable? I'm not in this to make money but I don't want to make stupid purchases, either.

Any help is appreciated.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Hahahaaaaaaaa, I've been at this for 30+ years and your question has me just as stumped. Posssssbily because the /99 is part of the regular set and the /93 is a parallel...........the Beckett Guide and its little RC is very helpful with the whole "what is and isn't a rookie card"....... Why did you pick RNH to start collecting, if I may be so nosy?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See flopscards's Items on eBay

As Sluggo stated, it's because the /99 is the true rookie, in other words the one that is a part of the main set. The /93 is the Gold parallel.

Here is a list of his true rookies: http://www.beckett.com/search/?resul...694&attr=24464

Welcome back to collecting!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (62)
    Country

When I'm in doubt about a card I'll use the Inventory Manager here to check whether a card is a RC or a parallel. There should be a FAQ around somewhere to help you learn to use the Inventory Manager. I find it to be a really easy to use reference tool.

I've never understood why a lower numbered parallel of a RC would sell for less than the RC either but that's what the market has decided.

BANNED

Blog Entries
    Country
    See ajk0565's Items on eBay

As everyone has already said it's his true rookie

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

I'm just getting into collecting modern hockey cards and I'm completely lost. Take Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for example; I would like to start collecting some of his rookie cards, but which cards are rookie cards and which are parallels and which are considered inserts? Why does his 'The Cup' /99 rookie go for more than his 'The Cup' /93 rookie? Isn't the /93 rookie rarer and therefore should be more valuable? I'm not in this to make money but I don't want to make stupid purchases, either.

Any help is appreciated.

Each brand/release has only one true rookie and it normaly the one part of the main base set. For instance The CUP Carey price rookie the gold parallel as only 31 cards because the gold cards use for print run the jersey number. SO some gold parallel are with very low print run, in Carey Price case both card were selling around the exact same price. Yet the gold version has three time less cards. That can explain why they carried the same prices. In other sport they often have more value then the rookie but in hockey, for some reason, collectors always valued more the rookie card.

You can use SCF Inventory to verify wich are rookie or not and all other card attributes. When you collect a player, the inventory is a pretty good tool to track them. I use it for my Carey price collection and you can add a player in the fast PC Link section and as you had the cards you collect, it will keep stats of what you have broken down in attributes and print run. Plus you can add the value to keep a collection value of your player.

When I'm in doubt about a card I'll use the Inventory Manager here to check whether a card is a RC or a parallel. There should be a FAQ around somewhere to help you learn to use the Inventory Manager. I find it to be a really easy to use reference tool.

I've never understood why a lower numbered parallel of a RC would sell for less than the RC either but that's what the market has decided.

There are tutorial on how to use the inventory, hit the help tab and you will see a list of tutorial and if you have more question, just ask them in this forum: Inventory/Storefront Feedback. I coded it and can answer any questions but not via PM please post them in the forum.
    Hidden Content

I collect all Montreal Canadien. Hidden Content for player, teams you collect