Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Steps & Photos For Using The Re-Inforced PWE Method Of Shipping

In speaking with Luc, this post will be made into a sticky a little later this morning, so that any that have not used this method, can follow the easy steps.

PWE - Security Envelops - 80 for $1.00 at Dollar Tree or similar outlets in the USA.

Materials

Hockey Card
    Soft Sleeve
    Top-Loader

2 Pieces of 20 gauge cardboard - cereal box strength
    1 Plain White "Security" Envelop - the kind you cannot see through
    Masking Tape/Painters Tape if you are in the USA
    Packing Tape in sufficient quantities

Figure 1 shows all necessary materials.

Step One: Cut cardboard protection pieces so that they are just slightly larger than the size of the Top-Loader. Tape Top-Loader in between both pieces of cardboard with masking tape. Attach both pieces of cardboard together with either packing tape.

Now you have a compact, well protected card, ready to go into the PWE. Figure 2 shows preparing card for protection.

Step Two: Place the protected card, top-loader, and cardboard sleeve inside the PWE. Make sure that you now tape the protected card into the actual envelop. This is Paramount. If you do not tape the card securely into the envelop, it will shift around and become damaged or it will damage the envelop.

Figure 3 shows card, taped inside the PWE.

Step Three Seal both envelop seams at the back with packing tape. Tape both the bottom and top edges of the envelop, and tape both sides. You have now created a secure environment for the card to travel in without sliding around.

Figure 4 and 5 shows completed package, both front and back.

*** It is important to remember, make sure that all edges, and seams are taped, and that the card in it's protective housing is securely taped inside the envelop.

This method ensures that you can either add a Postage Stamp, or have it sent Non-Machinable for an additional charge, in both cases, a Customs Form is not required.

The time saved in shipping to Canada by this envelop not sitting in a Canada Customs In-Bond Warehouse - 4-8 days. My overall Re-Inforced PWE's are arriving in Canada a full week ahead of any Bubble Envelops that I send, as a bubble envelop is a package and subject to sitting in a Canada Customs In-Bond Warehouse before being released to Canada Post.

The time savings in shipping with this method, is staggering.

If anyone has any questions, just drop me a line with a PM. I Used to ship like this on eBay from 1999-2002 until people got so fussy about Bubble Envelops. Now that it costs a small fortune, my customers do not complain about this method at all. 5 Months now, with no issues.

Cheers!

Tim
    Last edited by centrehice; 01-16-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: error

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

I ask Tim to explain his method due to how much the cost has gone up shipping from USA to Canada this January 2012, so I can make it a sticky in refence for other. I do not recommend this for certain cards of value but sure can help fellow american to do lower end trade at a cost that make sense. Also I do recommend for Candian to still use a buble mailer that only cost us $2.20 unless the trade is really low in value. If you are to use this method to ship from USA to Canada, I suggest you tell your fellow canadian trader as manay member do not want to see PWE. But for lower end, if done right, it will do the job. Also SCF does not have rules on how to ship but you are always 100% of the time responsable for any damage no matter what shipping method you have used.

Remember that it's better to pay a little more to have it sent as "Non-Machinable" and still do not need a custom form and will cost you just a little more. This is really for base card and insert, not for valuable card, tick jersey ect...

In the end it may help our hobby for the lower end deals as USPS is certainly not helping the hobby this year with the raise cost. Now the new cost at a little over 6$ does provide a tracking ID and should be used for valuable or with many cards deal and will protect you via the Tracking ID provided. Let hope our American member do not stop trading with fellow Canadian.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

This is a fantastic resource for those curious about how to ship lower-end transactions and save money on shipping.

As Luc noted above, if using this method please ensure to disclose it to your trade partner (discuss with them - as we always say, communication is key!) so that they know it's forthcoming in this fashion. As always, if the card does arrive damaged you can be held responsible per SCF Rules.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

BANNED

Country

Yes. This is an excellent method, however both parties must agree on this format and if Re-Inforced PWE is used it should also be reflected in text and posted within the trade, itself.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

From US to Canada, how much do you charge for this shipping? With my last sale on ebay costing the buyer $7.50 in shipping, I need a new way to roll.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

From US to Canada, how much do you charge for this shipping? With my last sale on ebay costing the buyer $7.50 in shipping, I need a new way to roll.

I'd probably charge $1.50-$2. As I believe pwe's outside the U.S. have now jumped to 1.25.
    Trading for Steelers,Penguins,Pirates and Michigan players in Michigan uni

Hidden Content

Thanks to the USPS Shipping only to US addresses.

Shipping done on Saturdays no matter when the trade is confirmed

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See montagna2006's Items on eBay

Ingenious...what a great post! Great timing with the recent USPS rate increases.

Just to clarify, you can still use the #000 bubble mailers and mail it First-Class Mail International Large Envelope. While not quite as cheap & easy as the PWE method, it's a tried-and-true method for very secure packaging and costs around $3 for a 3 oz mailer, varying slightly on the destination. This is only feasible if sending a few base cards or one thicker patch card due to the strict size rules they enforce on packs mailed with this service. It's basically the 1/4 inch thickness limit & 3.5 oz limit that is the most constraining.

The important thing is that the pack meets these criteria:

• Must be rectangular.
    • Minimum size is 5 1/2" long x 3 1/2" high x 0.007" thick.
    • Maximum size is 11 1/2" long x 6 1/8" high x 1/4 thick.
    • Maximum weight of 3.5 oz.

If it violates any of these descriptions (basically if it's over 1/4 inch thickness or weighs more than 3.5 oz), you have to bump it up to First-Class Package International Service which starts at $6.91. So if you're mailing more than a few cards, basically double the cost for shipping to Canada.

Pic description:

• Letters will be charged a nonmachinable surcharge if it’s a square letter of 5" x 5" or larger, it doesn’t bend easily, has clasps or similar closure devices, has an address parallel to the shorter dimension of the letter, contains bulky items like pens, or the length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5.
    Last edited by fleemur12; 01-28-2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Clarify option

BANNED

Country

Tomorrow the new prices take effect.

Old Price of Re-Inforced PWE to Canada - 1-3 cards max in only 1 Top Loader - $1.30

New Price of Re-Inforced PWE to Canada - 2 Ounces total - which is a lot probably 6-7 cards - $1.36

*** NB: I have to take a bunch of cards tomorrow and weigh them to come to 2 Ounces. I will let the board know exactly how many cards that is, and how many top-loaders.

*** This price has been amended and changed to $1.36 as of January 30, 2014. USPS New Pricing and again a further increase. ***
    Last edited by centrehice; 03-06-2014 at 02:02 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See harpercollector's Items on eBay

Thanks for the info, helps a ton! I tried the reinforced PWE for my first time from Can. to USA and it got there safe and extremely fast compared to regular bubble mailer, I assume because of customs? Anyway thanks a ton!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

Remember that it's better to pay a little more to have it sent as "Non-Machinable" and still do not need a custom form and will cost you just a little more.

I hate to rain on this thread but it needs to be made clear that you can no longer ship via reinforced PWE from USA to Canada. I went to two different post offices today and both told me that because the package can't bend, it has to be sent as a parcel. I specifically asked if I could send it "Letter Rate, non-machineable. ANd they told me there is no such thing as. Of course, one of these post offices did ship a card for me via this method just last week. It looks like the PWE's have clogged their system. I'm sure word will spread to the rest of the post offices soon. PS- Parcel rate=package rate=$6.55 for 3oz.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast