Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See masonraymond0320's Items on eBay

I agree that the base card trade is a Bit extreme but basecards r cool. Everyone is always like wow that Stanley cup day with the cup cArd is so beautiful when it actually looks mostly like a basecard.. I actually thought it was a basecard hen I first looked at it..it's only cuz the "Stanley cup day with the cup" insert is worth so much is why people think its a beauty and nice lookin card...if it were a base card and worth a penny and somoene showed it off I doubt that it'd get Any praise ..

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

I think location has something to do with it as well. I'm in the Greater Vancouver area, I have access to the monthly card show, as do the people in Montreal and Toronto and the other big cities, so I can pick up a stack of 50+ base cards for five bucks and so develops the "worthless" mindset. If you're in Fort Nelson or Medicine Hat or Seattle or Las Vegas then good luck finding a hockey card show every month, all of a sudden those cards are a lot harder to get.

I don't have a problem giving my extra stuff away, if it's not PC it's worthless to me, and I do it on my time and my schedule, AND it helps me from appearing on a future episode of Hoarders............

BANNED

Country

For a slightly different view...

I've dealt with star player collectors who are looking for specific base cards of their player going back many years. I decided to help out and went back and sorted through numerous boxes to look for their want list. After spending quite a bit of time, I sourced out a nice group of the base cards they wanted. Then when I took the time to list each card with a good description (taking more time to do so), they only wanted to barely pay for the ship cost associated with them receiving the cards.

The point they didn't get is that my main "investment" in the proposed deal was my TIME. If you think base cards have no value and you should get them for free (ie. the cost of ship only), that somehow suggests that my attempt to help your collection is something you're entitled to and my time/effort is something I somehow owe you (???). Sorry...but we're not related, we've never met and we're not best friends and yes I'd like to help with your collection since I too have collections of cards and I understand your desire to fill your want lists, but why would you expect to get something for nothing? It's a two-way street and both sides have to be happy for any deal to work.

If base cards are valueless, then you'd have no reason to collect them. If you're asking people to track them down for you because they fill a collecting need, they have value to you and you should expect to "pay" (in money or trade) a reasonable price for them or the effort it takes to track them down. If you become a slave to the idea that "I'll never trade a memorabilia card (auto/jersey/etc) for any base cards", realize you become the loser when you never find your base cards and the holes in your collection remain... Sure: in a perfect world you'll find someone else collecting base cards of a player and you can both happily trade base cards for base cards. Sure, I don't mind throwing in some base cards if I can easily find them and they're part of a larger deal. Sure, I too give away many of my base cards at my LCS knowing they'll be given to kids and that helps develop the hobby. Sure, I too have given away base cards at the hospitals when they were accepting them. But remember the "do unto others" adage: can you see yourself spending lots of time to try and fill another collector's needs, for nothing? Many times I've dealt with people who attribute absolutely no value to the time it takes to track down cards. People who post "WTB/WTTF" threads...then don't want to pay a reasonable price when you offer up the cards they want, hurt the hobby. I'm moving beyond base cards now but the point remains the same: when you ask for cards then refuse to pay a reasonable amount for them or the time it takes to find them, we all suffer because future efforts by yourself (and others in the hobby) to find cards will be met with a resounding silence: people learn to ignore posts asking to find cards...when they've been taught it's likely to be a waste of time, so why bother...

I'm NOT suggesting that anyone looking for base cards must expect to pay exorbitant amounts for them...or trade (for example) a Crosby rookie auto for 200 base cards, or other nonsense. I AM suggesting that it's much too convenient/self-centered to think you're collecting base cards and since they have little value, you should get them for nothing and other collectors should somehow cater to your collecting needs "out of the goodness of their hearts". The hobby works better and your collection will grow, if you look at both sides of a deal and recognize that both sides getting something will result in a successful deal/trade.

I'm just gonna disagree with the whole post, I don't think someone should charge time. And I don't think it should be free, just don't charge $.50 per for penny cards.

BANNED

Country

Another deal that falls through due to people wanting so much for base cards. This is stupid.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (61)
    Country
    New Jersey Devils St Louis Cardinals Carolina Hurricanes
    See FFEMT840's Items on eBay
    Member is PayPal Verified

Most of the time I use base and low end inserts as just throw ins for fun. I could see high end product base being valued more like Prime or The Cup as compared with OPC.

I think this is one part of a large problem where everyone wants a ton of money or value for their cards but will not give you a dollar for a rare NPDTS card. It doesnt make sense and it is pushing me out of the hobby.

BANNED

Country

Most of the time I use base and low end inserts as just throw ins for fun. I could see high end product base being valued more like Prime or The Cup as compared with OPC.

I think this is one part of a large problem where everyone wants a ton of money or value for their cards but will not give you a dollar for a rare NPDTS card. It doesnt make sense and it is pushing me out of the hobby.

I mean literally most deals being declined are over score and victory base. Someone wanted to trade 18 BV for a YG and common jersey for my one 15 BV auto. I figured it is fair. Both get PC. But there was a few base cards added that made it 22 BV to 15 and they wanted me to take out something to add it up. probably wanted me to take out the YG or jersey. I mean it seems people just try to "win" deals. It shouldn't be that way. If both get PC and values are similar, that should be the perfect trade.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (61)
    Country
    New Jersey Devils St Louis Cardinals Carolina Hurricanes
    See FFEMT840's Items on eBay
    Member is PayPal Verified

I mean literally most deals being declined are over score and victory base. Someone wanted to trade 18 BV for a YG and common jersey for my one 15 BV auto. I figured it is fair. Both get PC. But there was a few base cards added that made it 22 BV to 15 and they wanted me to take out something to add it up. probably wanted me to take out the YG or jersey. I mean it seems people just try to "win" deals. It shouldn't be that way. If both get PC and values are similar, that should be the perfect trade.

Exactly. It is about helping each other out. It is a hobby for a huge majority....not a business.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

I am happy to take low-end inserts for trade for Base Cards. Let me give you an example:

Let's say you needed exactly $60.00 in base cards, each base card priced by it's own BV. I often will trade for a mix of low-end inserts, and base and come in around the $45.00-$50.00 mark, allowing for the difference in the ability to move an insert a little easier.

I've never had a problem in giving the base card trader some extra dollar Leeway. I've always had success moving my base cards in trade on SCF because I am prepared to be fair.

If I don't trade this way, then I sweeten the deal by throwing in 10-15 base for free.

BANNED

Country

I am happy to take low-end inserts for trade for Base Cards. Let me give you an example:

Let's say you needed exactly $60.00 in base cards, each base card priced by it's own BV. I often will trade for a mix of low-end inserts, and base and come in around the $45.00-$50.00 mark, allowing for the difference in the ability to move an insert a little easier.

I've never had a problem in giving the base card trader some extra dollar Leeway. I've always had success moving my base cards in trade on SCF because I am prepared to be fair.

If I don't trade this way, then I sweeten the deal by throwing in 10-15 base for free.

It is pretty fair depending on the inserts. Inserts are becoming like base nowadays. Heck, GU is becoming like base in a way. Crazy hobby this is.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Low-end Game-used does not even sell. I cannot be bothered with an Upper Deck Jersey Card from 2005 onwards of a 4th Line Thumber, they don't even fetch .25 cents.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast