Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Early projection for Canada's Olympic hockey roster

USA TODAY Sports hockey columnist Kevin Allen's first projection for the Team Canada roster for the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia:

Coach: Ken Hitchcock (St. Louis Blues)

Discussion: The Detroit Red Wings' Mike Babcock certainly deserves the job after helping Canada win gold in Vancouver, but it is Hitchcock's turn.

Goaltenders: Carey Price (Montreal Canadiens), Cam Ward (Carolina Hurricanes) and Marc Andre Fleury (Pittsburgh Penguins)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...oster/1900751/

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Babcock was not a good Canadian Olympic Coach. He stifled his team too much with that "Too Patient" attitude. The Red Wings lost the last Stanley Cup partially by Babcock being too patient. Why do Babcock's teams get out of the gate so slow? With the Red Wings, He waits until there is 5 minutes left in the game to get on their horses.. I've lost too much hair already for this type of coaching.

Hitchcock is not the answer. I'd rather have Claude Julien. He reads the game extremely well, and makes immediate changes to affect on-ice play. He loves the fore-check, which is something that cannot be taken for granted when it comes to coaching.

Alain Vigneault is also a better choice than Hitchcock.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I'm a Canucks fan and I'd take Hitchcock over Vigneault. Yes he makes changes during a game, butto fix what he wants he almost always ends up breaking what is working.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

With any luck the article doesn't have a single name right - becuase the NHL will stop shutting down for the Olympics.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

I'm backing the NHL over the Olympics.

It's not the amateur thing to me, it's control and perception. The Olympic Federation acts like the King Of Kensington. Their way or the highway. They have never heard of the word compromise in their lives.

They dictate absurd terms, and allow no comeback from anyone. They need to be put in their place. They seem to think that the NHL is not a business, and that they, the Olympics, are the only game in town.
    Last edited by centrehice; 02-08-2013 at 03:37 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I think Luongo won the gold last time, if he keeps playing the way he does I think he should be considered, ...you need to be an elite goalie to get your team to game 7 of the finals, and just because his team lost game 7 suddenly he stinks? Obviously the Canuck's are realizing, no he doesn't. His experience would be an asset under pressure. I like the idea of Julien as coach, Seguin plays great on the bigger ice and is good on shootouts which needs to be considered. I doubt this would ever happen, but considering how lethal the Tampa power-play is, I would seriously consider Lecavalier for the 13 forward.
    Don't know about Crosby and Giroux together, seems really weird, to me they are so similar, both left hand shots but who knows, maybe it would work....could see Crosby with Eberle on the right wing, Giroux with Seguin on his right, so many possibilities.
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI(20)
    Country
    See mojobreaks's Items on eBay

Looked at the goalies first and stopped there.

Cam Ward, over Luongo. Haha bad list is bad

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See masonraymond0320's Items on eBay

overall cam ward maybe a better goalie than luongo..the NHL is 9 games in..i dont think anyone should base Cam Ward's stats 9 games in, on weather or not he'll make team canada..obviously luongo has played amazing in the 4 or 5 games hes played in, but no one would have even considered him before the season even started? Main point is no one should base their opinion on only the 4 or 5 games luongo has played in..if he plays well in 20 games then ya id consider him, but the 5 games hes played in, is just a glimpse of what he maybe capable of..who knows..

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I forget who the Canes beat 3-2 last week, but it was all Wardy, 45 saves!...so not saying he isn't worthy as well, if I were to question one choice, it would be Price, he is good but inexperienced and hasn't won anything.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI(20)
    Country
    See mojobreaks's Items on eBay

overall cam ward maybe a better goalie than luongo..the NHL is 9 games in..i dont think anyone should base Cam Ward's stats 9 games in, on weather or not he'll make team canada..obviously luongo has played amazing in the 4 or 5 games hes played in, but no one would have even considered him before the season even started? Main point is no one should base their opinion on only the 4 or 5 games luongo has played in..if he plays well in 20 games then ya id consider him, but the 5 games hes played in, is just a glimpse of what he maybe capable of..who knows..

I am not even basing it off this season. I am basing it off the fact that Luongo won the gold medal, he is automatically in contention for the starting job unless he bombs next season. Any article that did not have him slotted in for the roster shouldn't be taken seriously.

As for Cam Ward, there are fewer goalies as overrated just from judging what fans outside of Carolina see of him. I am not basing it off of this season, he will go on a tear down the stretch again, but he is far removed from his Conn Smythe winning season. People are always skeptical of Fleury and ignore or aren't aware of Ward's lack of consistency.

However to be fair, he is playing behind an abysmal defense.

It's Luongo, Price and Fleury or Ward.

US is pretty solid with Quick, Miller, Schneider, and Howard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast