Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Basketball collecting... going downhill!

Anyone else noticed, not just on here but everywhere, seems like basketball collecting is going down?

I am, and have been, a basketball fan and collector primarily up until about a year ago.

Reasons being:

1.) Not as good as product.
    No Topps chrome and refractors to chase.
    Very limited product. Either really Highend or low end like Hoops
    On top of that, the blasters and hangers really, really suck!

2.) Besides the top 10 names, nobody really collects other players like Tony Parker, etc that are SOLID stars.

3.) Most importantly, I feel the last really good year that RC's were produced was 09-10. I still grab as much as I can from that year or previous. You had Harden, Griffin, Curry, Rubio, Holliday, etc. From there on out... It's been what? John Wall and Irving?

Most product that you buy that is new, you want to hit the latest RC's and get some HOF and star stuff, with most everything being the RC's. Well, if there are bad RC's, why would anyone go after the product?

My 2 cents, anyone else feel B-Ball is declining and hard to sell/trade for them?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

You are correct about #1 and #3, but I know lots of people who collect beyond the major ten stars. I had a ton of trades last month. Overall, though, yeah, basketball has declined slightly. 2006-09 were my best collecting years.

SCF Rewards
    Country

true. I love product like limited in football. Was buying 11-12 limited and just got nothing. I pulled a Gasol patch /25, Daye Auto, Deng Auto, a few no name rookies, a Shaq GU, etc.. I was thinking it was alright- it's been 2 years and I still have most of that stuff- can't get rid of it without selling or trading for low low amounts.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

It depends on who you ask. All of my trades for some reason happen on a sparatic basis. Either a bunch at one time or none for a while. Most of my trades are 80% basketball and 20% football. I also get a lot of cheap singles off the bay. Once I get everything sorted out I should have more tradebate and I can see myself making more trades. I also see why the OP said what he did. The 2009 draft was the great draft of point guards and it also included some guy named Blake Griffin. None of the recent drafts have game close to 2009. Hopefully things over the next few years will take a turn for the better.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I always wonder too... I pulled a few Blake Griffin Autos, some even short print a little more than a year ago. The short print one was around $500. I decided not to sell, because it was my first big hit (my first hobby box actually) and I like Griffin's playing.

Well, I looked at the bay a few days ago and noticed that same card that a year ago was going for $500 was now selling for around $100. OBVIOUSLY, stuff like this happens in collecting... but he didn't go down in playing!? He is still one of the most exciting players to watch and he is a monster with @ a double-double every game. And like I said, it happens in the market of things going down... but when you hit a star rc player auto /50 for $500 and he is still in his prime and it drops THAT much-egh!!! You don't see THAT much of a drop in Baseball and Football's top tier guys.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Rocksaysits420's Items on eBay

One of the reasons the prices of Blake's autos have declined in price is the amount of them out there and that he prolly had peaked as a player. He may be exciting to watch, however he's never going to carry a team or make his team/players on his team better. There's other players in the league that have been double-double machines for years (Z-Bo for one) who's cards don't sell for much.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Rocks- yeah, exactly. B-ball players don't get as much love in the hobby as other sports. Your right about people like Blake who will never be that Superstar-HOF person-but are fun to watch.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Rocksaysits420's Items on eBay

I also agree with you on why the card collecting has gone down hill, the product for the most part sucks, way to many rc autos, not enough star auto, when there's star auto in product, it very low number just so Panini can say the player is in the auto checklist, the product is starting to look like previous product panini has released, and most of the time box breaks are terrible (prolly like 95% of the time).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Knicks New York Yankees New York Giants
    See don't have an eBay account...'s Items on eBay

If anything it's the b.s. Panini Era of basketball cards that currently has basketball card collecting on a free fall decline, don't get it twisted. Upper Deck, Topps and Fleer basketball cards are not declining, if anything they're rising in value.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Mainecards42's Items on eBay

The historical double rookie class this year for panini has made wayto many rookie autos available of players that many people are not interested in. Kevin Murphy and Courtney Fortson? That isn't what the majority of buyers want. The hot rookies from the last two years have basically been Irving, David and Lilliard. Lilliard only signs for leaf so that doesn't help the cause.

Panini has put out some good products this season such as certified and Prizm. They also have put out some products that I think bombed such as absolute,limited, and contenders. I am hoping preferred and some of the next products panini releases will come out and do well. I know many people are waiting for the rookie patch autos out of preferred.

This years draft also doesn't look like it will produce many superstars. When that happens many products don't do well. Panini would help there case if they would focus on getting more veteran stars to sign.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast