Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing your collection

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I am a team collector. As one, I have thousands of wants so I have the luxury to pick and choose which cards to chase and when. I tend to collect cards through trading and buying that are already a few years old. It has nothing to do with "investment" value to me, I collect to KEEP my cards and I have found I can obtain more cards on my limited funds by focusing on older cards. The only exception I make to this is my search for Habs #'d 24/xx. For those, I chase them whenever they become available.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

I collect players, teams, sets, genres.......at least I DID until it had to come to a temporary halt, because I chased what I wanted like there was no tomorrow, like that card was a 1/1 hahahaaaaaaa! Now I'm poor, but I have cardboard up to my neck :)

Selling? Me?? I think not.

I bought a Carey Price SPX RC on a BIN for $250 way back in the beginning. Then he started sucking a bit, or more accurately the team in front of him was god-awful, so I decided to stop the PC and and sell, and it went for $114. Then, of course, Halak got the boot, and I re-newed my faith in Carey and bought the card again for $200.

NO MORE SELLING!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (116)
    Country
    See patsfan12's Items on eBay

A few years back I decided to add Jordan Eberle as a PC. Collected all of his ITG stuff (H&P and Ultimate) and had every card out there except a couple of 1/1's. After his WJHC heroics I decided to sell due to the inflated prices for his stuff that was coming out in H&P. Ended up getting about 3x back compared to what I had paid.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Very rarely have I ever played the "investment" game with cards. I only buy what I want, and don't buy with the intent to flip.

Having said that, a couple of years ago I got it in my head that I wanted to collect Jonathan Quick. He didn't have many cards at the time.... a couple of ITG cards (Auto, GU) and a handful of RCs (SPA, Ultimate, BAP). I had picked up a copy of everything, except 1/1 versions - this included an SPA /100, and the BAP /10, and had a Cup Printing Plate (from Ultimate).

Last Spring, someone posted on here that they had seen his SPA RC sell for over $100 on eBay, and that's when I realized it was time to get rid of all my Quick stuff. I lost interest in the cards pretty quickly, and they had just been tucked to the back of a box for a couple of years. I made more than 5x what I paid for those cards in the first place.

I doubt that's going to happen again though, lol.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Very rarely have I ever played the "investment" game with cards. I only buy what I want, and don't buy with the intent to flip.

Having said that, a couple of years ago I got it in my head that I wanted to collect Jonathan Quick. He didn't have many cards at the time.... a couple of ITG cards (Auto, GU) and a handful of RCs (SPA, Ultimate, BAP). I had picked up a copy of everything, except 1/1 versions - this included an SPA /100, and the BAP /10, and had a Cup Printing Plate (from Ultimate).

Last Spring, someone posted on here that they had seen his SPA RC sell for over $100 on eBay, and that's when I realized it was time to get rid of all my Quick stuff. I lost interest in the cards pretty quickly, and they had just been tucked to the back of a box for a couple of years. I made more than 5x what I paid for those cards in the first place.

I doubt that's going to happen again though, lol.

If you've pickewd up any of Schultz's Wisconsin cards, now is the time to lose them.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See babyblueboy's Items on eBay

I just started collecting Marcus Kruger at the start of the season. He has played really well the last couple weeks. Now, card values on ebay are going for double or sometimes triple of what they had just weeks ago. Really frustrating when I'm trying to add to my PC haha

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings Minnesota Vikings Phoenix Coyotes
    See mattdmc2931's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

Since the trade from Philly to Columbus Bobs prices have dropped off quite a bit which has made picking them up much more pleasant on the wallet but now the only problem is he hasn't really been in much all season other than score, OPC, and Certified (goalie pulls). Nothing really new to chase down or pick-up kind of sucks but at the same time allows me to focus on going back and filling in the several holes I still have to fill in the collection.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See auktions_welpe's Items on eBay

A couple of weeks ago, I unloaded a lot of my (very rare) Voracek PC cards.
    I lost interest in Voracek a long time ago and just "still had" the cards (all being RC-year).

Now that I turned my back on them, Voracek is getting 4-Point-Games, Hattricks, 1st Line minutes...

I am feeling a little bit jinxed right now

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bmarchand17's Items on eBay

I used to have a massive Dustin Brown collection but began to break it down during the run to the cup last year and during the regular season. Since his cards had skyrocketed it was a must sell. I do still have over 100 cards of him an kept some of my favorites of course, but the interest just isnt there anymore. I think i enjoy rookie players more for the card sets are usually alot nicer and theres is always a card in every set unlike how brown was a couple years back. I have started a maxime sauve pc because he plays for the team i have season tix for an i like his style, and also Ryan Johansen for i know he will be a number 1 center in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12