Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TheBench(150)
    Country
    See tpeichel34's Items on eBay

I'm just pointing out that it is hypocritical to prosecute some businesses for discrimination, but not others. If you really are a believer in equalitarianism then you should want an exercise facility that accommodates all people, right? Personally, I could care less if a business caters to a subset of society. It's a private business, if I don't like how they run it, they won't get my money.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I'm just pointing out that it is hypocritical to prosecute some businesses for discrimination, but not others. If you really are a believer in equalitarianism then you should want an exercise facility that accommodates all people, right? Personally, I could care less if a business caters to a subset of society. It's a private business, if I don't like how they run it, they won't get my money.

No not really there are certian business that are designed for certian reasons. For example a gay guy would have no case if he was denied for a job as a female stripper. Also an OBGYN is generally only to see female patients. If a man cannot go and tries to sue he would be laughed out of court. However there is no good or legal reason why a bakery does not have to sell food to someone because of their race, religion, or sexual preference. Yes it is a private business but it is open to the public and therefore cannot discriminate against the public.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Really ..... in terms of business, an operator only has to say, I will not do business with you, Full-Stop, and should not elaborate, he only has to say, "I cannot fulfill your order"

When you elaborate that you will not do business with somebody because they are gay, then you have just pulled hard on the squeaky wheel, and we all know what the squeakiest wheel gets.

You should not be allowed to conduct business if you are socially or culturally insensitive and make a point of it publicly.
    Last edited by centrehice; 02-22-2013 at 03:16 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

it's not a sin to eat meat, nor is it a sin NOT to eat meat (that second was in kind of silly) we are not Jews nor are we the 1st covenant who had the rules you speak of.

here are two things Jesus said (not word for word, but close)

go into the lands and if accepted, eat what is offered and heal the sick among them

it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles one, but what spews out from it

and on another note;

if I was in this store when this happened, I would have made a huge scene, then left

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TheBench(150)
    Country

Really ..... in terms of business, an operator only has to say, I will not do business with you, Full-Stop, and should not elaborate, he only has to say, "I cannot fulfill your order"

When you elaborate that you will not do business with somebody because they are gay, then you have just pulled hard on the squeaky wheel, and we all know what the squeakiest wheel gets.

You should not be allowed to conduct business if you are socially or culturally insensitive and make a point of it publicly.

You make a good point.

I'm just not sure if overt discrimination is any worse than hidden discrimination though.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I'm not sure where this falls as far as legalities go. I don't find it very smart from a business perspective. If a business restricted who they do business based off of their customers ideals matching theirs they wouldn't have too many customers. Can you imagine a company that asked a couple if they had premarital sex before marrying and then refusing if they had? It's absurd in most cases.

as far as the separate gyms or clubs for people based off of sex or weight or whatever I really don;t have an issue with that.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TheBench(150)
    Country

No not really there are certian business that are designed for certian reasons. For example a gay guy would have no case if he was denied for a job as a female stripper. Also an OBGYN is generally only to see female patients. If a man cannot go and tries to sue he would be laughed out of court. However there is no good or legal reason why a bakery does not have to sell food to someone because of their race, religion, or sexual preference. Yes it is a private business but it is open to the public and therefore cannot discriminate against the public.

Is there a federal law that prohibits discrimination against homosexuals? I know race would fall under the Civil Rights Act and there is a Federal Disability Act, but I'm not aware of federal protections for homosexuals.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I wonder how this would work if all businesses in any certain town decided to stop serving a particular group of people because they believe they are all private businesses with the right to do so.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

You actually bring up a good point. I do have a slight problem with women's only gyms. I understand the market and need for them, but at the same time, if an overt "men only" gym opened up for the same reasons (men have body image issues too) the owner would be crucified for discrimination. It's at a point where, in some areas, we have not only achieved equality, we have surpassed it and begun to put those who were on "the bottom" on "top" to a place where they are untouchable.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

actaully this was added to the hate crimes list, but only 24 states uphold it (at least that is the last I have heard about it)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast