Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Everyone here is for different reasons and for various reasons. I often do buy to resell. If you check my threads about buying it is often mentioned exactly what I am looking for. I never try to hide or deceive anyone...

Aslong as people are honest in there trading, buying and selling here I don't see any reason why everyone can't peacefully coexist. For cards I want as part of my PC I have no issues with paying the going rate or even above.

This isn't just a hobby anymore, it's a business.. I understand some people don't like it but it is what it is.

That's exactly what I am talking about. People just need to be honest with what their intentions are instead of not communicating at all. How many times have you gotten an offer for a card and then the person just stops talking b/c they don't want your offer? How hard is it to negotiate over a couple of dollars? I seriously don't get it!

SCF Rewards
    Country

When I was 8 or 9 I spent all my money on cards Walmart. Had no idea what a packsearcher was. Really didn't even know what an auto/GU looked like. Does anyone think the hobby will die out?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

I think as long as people put money into the hobby, it will continue to be strong. That after all is the motor to any good running business and as been said in this thread, that is what the hobby is now.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Knicks New York Yankees New York Giants
    See don't have an eBay account...'s Items on eBay

It is dying a slow death in this, Panini Tyranny Era. It won't die out though but the hobby has mightily regressed in my eyes. But whenever I need a pick-me-up I just start browsing through my basketball collection... and it makes my frown turn upside down! ^^
    Last edited by adam1bancroft; 03-09-2013 at 08:18 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

When I was 8 or 9 I spent all my money on cards Walmart. Had no idea what a packsearcher was. Really didn't even know what an auto/GU looked like. Does anyone think the hobby will die out?

No it won't die out but now days it seems everyone wants a hit in every pack they open, if the pack does not have a hit in it then it was a wasted pack in many peoples opinions. Now companies are also making garauntee that each pack has a rookie or prospect in it for the lower end products. Blasters now contain most of the time some kind of gimmick relic or special refractor packs. This is all good in some ways but also devalues the cards at the same time, but if you like getting cool cards it is interesting and better, then just getting all base cards which were the case before.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I just wanted to add my two cents. I have only been back in the hobby for a little over a year after I stopped collecting when I was a kid back in the early to mid 90s. I find that collecting cards only has enhanced my love and passion for basketball, primarily college and some NBA, but really only former KU alumni. I am sure that would change if Kansas City had a professional team.

First, I understand about people wanting to make a profit and flip cards. My other hobby is building armor and aircraft models and there are people there who do the same thing – tough slightly different in some sense. I find that there are people on here that are great to work with who are trying to make a buck – bdoody42 being one of them. However, there are some on here that are really pushy and rude when you turn down their offers and I hate to say a little over priced. I am sure that some who I have inquired about price of cards think that I am cheap or I am just trying to lowball them in order to flip them, when in reality it is because I am working with a certain budget or I feel that the card itself is not worth that much to me. At the same time I know I probably over paid for a card, because it is something I REALLY want for my collection.

I know a lot of people like to work or go off of a price guide, whether it is Beckett or another guide. But, this is a guide and not a set actual market price! I think that people need to realize that this, I think most of us do. But, I am often still amazed how many people say “well the price of it is listed at . . . . “ I do buy a lot of cards on ebay, as it is just easier to find cards that I am need for my collection, but I find that the prices on ebay fluctuate. In addition, just because you have a /5 or /25 card does not mean it is worth a crap load of money and that there is a high demand for it. An example is Josh Selby. He recently got traded to the Cavs and was let go about a week ago. No one has offered to pick him and I am willing to bet he will be overseas. I doubt that very few people have even heard of him or even know what is going on with his career. Yet, people sometimes on SCF and ebay think his auto card should fetch a decent size amount. The only reason I collect him is that he is a former KU player – though not one of my favorites.

Chakhae1 noted : “Sure there are those that buy for their PC, but that is more of an rare occurrence than in years gone by.” I hope that we are buying cards because it shares a symbiotic relationship with our love of the sport. If you are truly trying to make a buck there has to be a better way to do it then flipping sports cards. I swear I will never buy another pack or box ever again . . .

Okay I have rambled on long enough . . . but, in conclusion if Panini or whoever stopped making basketball cards my love of the game as both a fan and coach is not going to really stop.
    Last edited by rockchalk; 03-06-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: I fail at grammar

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

I agree as well. A big reason why I collect is b/c I love sports and I follow the players I pull and it makes sports more interesting. Most collector that I know has some sort of PC or side collection, but it seems to me at least that their main focus is picking things up to flip them for a profit now or later.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I just wanted to add my two cents. I have only been back in the hobby for a little over a year after I stopped collecting when I was a kid back in the early to mid 90s. I find that collecting cards only has enhanced my love and passion for basketball, primarily college and some NBA, but really only former KU alumni. I am sure that would change if Kansas City had a professional team.

First, I understand about people wanting to make a profit and flip cards. My other hobby is building armor and aircraft models and there are people there who do the same thing – tough slightly different in some sense. I find that there are people on here that are great to work with who are trying to make a buck – bdoody42 being one of them. However, there are some on here that are really pushy and rude when you turn down their offers and I hate to say a little over priced. I am sure that some who I have inquired about price of cards think that I am cheap or I am just trying to lowball them in order to flip them, when in reality it is because I am working with a certain budget or I feel that the card itself is not worth that much to me. At the same time I know I probably over paid for a card, because it is something I REALLY want for my collection.

I know a lot of people like to work or go off of a price guide, whether it is Beckett or another guide. But, this is a guide and not a set actual market price! I think that people need to realize that this, I think most of us do. But, I am often still amazed how many people say “well the price of it is listed at . . . . “ I do buy a lot of cards on ebay, as it is just easier to find cards that I am need for my collection, but I find that the prices on ebay fluctuate. In addition, just because you have a /5 or /25 card does not mean it is worth a crap load of money and that there is a high demand for it. An example is Josh Selby. He recently got traded to the Cavs and was let go about a week ago. No one has offered to pick him and I am willing to bet he will be overseas. I doubt that very few people have even heard of him or even know what is going on with his career. Yet, people sometimes on SCF and ebay think his auto card should fetch a decent size amount. The only reason I collect him is that he is a former KU player – though not one of my favorites.

Chakhae1 noted : “Sure there are those that buy for their PC, but that is more of an rare occurrence than in years gone by.” I hope that we are buying cards because it shares a symbiotic relationship with our love of the sport. If you are truly trying to make a buck there has to be a better way to do it then flipping sports cards. I swear I will never buy another pack or box ever again . . .

Okay I have rambled on long enough . . . but, in conclusion if Panini or whoever stopped making basketball cards my love of the game as both a fan and coach is not going to really stop.

With very rare exceptions no one makes a profit of cards unless they are dealers and can get boxes at wholesale and then resale them. But opening packs of cards purely out of the gambling aspect of it is fun at times and therefore unopened boxes will always be able to be moved easily and readily.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Busting wax I agree it is impossible to make money as a common collector, but if you take the time and are smart about it, making money off ebay and other means is possible. Even I've had some success in the couple of months I have been doing it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tsk20a2's Items on eBay

No it won't die out but now days it seems everyone wants a hit in every pack they open, if the pack does not have a hit in it then it was a wasted pack in many peoples opinions. Now companies are also making garauntee that each pack has a rookie or prospect in it for the lower end products. Blasters now contain most of the time some kind of gimmick relic or special refractor packs. This is all good in some ways but also devalues the cards at the same time, but if you like getting cool cards it is interesting and better, then just getting all base cards which were the case before.

I bet the people that wants a hit in every pack they open. are the same people that wants to buy cards way below ebay. LOL!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast