Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Political Pet Peeves

SCF Rewards
    Country

Political Pet Peeves

Anything happen in politics that gets your blood boiling that really shouldn't? I have two that get me annoyed.

#1. Politicians who don't seem to know that the country they serve is the United States, not America. Seriously, when did it become ok to use the name for all the lands in the Western Hemisphere as the name for our country?

#2. The USA is a Democratic Republic, Democratic being the adjective for Republic. We are a country that is governed by representatives, not popular vote. So why does everyone think we live in a democracy? Just last week I got into an argument in class with one of my history teachers because she kept on calling us a democracy. I was annoyed because she kept saying it, so I asked her if she knew we were a republic, (yeah, I was trying to be a smart alec, I can't stand this teacher) to which she responed that we were not a republic, and that we were a democracy. Anyways, the reason I tell you this story is because the whole class (other than me) thought that the USA was a democracy (and my teacher still does ). In fact it seems like the majority of people think we are, which really annoys me.

Who else has political pet peeves?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

1 - You aren't the United States. That can technically refer to a few countries, Mexico and Brazil coming to mind (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) You are the United States of America. As such, you have, through the years, usurped "United States" and "America" as your own. Europeans consider Canadians to be "Americans" and they're not wrong.
    Basically, it's become acceptable to refer to the United States of America as:
    America
    The United States
    USA
    US
    All are incorrect in the context you're referring to, but as abbreviations, they're generall accepted.

2 - This is a major pet peeve of mine, but not just this. People using words incorrectly en masse. You guys are very democratic in that you vote on any and every issue imaginable, but that's as far as it goes. This is a case of people not knowing the difference between democratic nation and democratic republic. In short, ignorance of meaning. They see that there's voting and they think "democracy" without realizing the differences within democratic systems.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

A simple one

When people use this statement - "We are a Christian Nation"

We are not even close and nor should we be....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vivchuleta's Items on eBay

When they close the doors to the White house and then can't take a pay cut themselves.

When they send weapons and rebuild countries that hate America

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

A simple one

When people use this statement - "We are a Christian Nation"

We are not even close and nor should we be....

Conversley "The US was not founded on Judeo-Christian principles"

All modern western society is.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I hate the two party system. Often you are not voting for the best canidate but the lesser or two evils. I also hate how people use their religion to attempt to legislate how others should live their lives. Or better yet politicians picking and chosing what parts of the bible they want to go by but ignoring the rest.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

In reality a multiparty system just leaves you picking the lesser of more evils.

SCF Rewards
    Country

In reality a multiparty system just leaves you picking the lesser of more evils.

That's ok though. I would rather have more evils to chose from than two.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

That's ok though. I would rather have more evils to chose from than two.

Just letting you know it isn't actually better. In fact, in the US, I think more parties popping up would lead to the two main parties looking the sanest and very 'middle of the road'.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just letting you know it isn't actually better. In fact, in the US, I think more parties popping up would lead to the two main parties looking the sanest and very 'middle of the road'.

So what's the alternative? Just suck it up and continue to deal with the garbage that is put out by the two parties who often make back room deals with each other?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast