Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I write UD??

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks

UD is not exactly in control of the market and how much their cards sell for.

+1

You can only blame the people that buy the cards for what they sell at.

If you received the number of "hits" that are stated on the packaging you have no complaint.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See thegreateight8's Items on eBay

imagine the card you could have bought from ud ultimate 11-12 if you spent the money on the card you wanted. People who open mid to high level boxes and then complain because of a small return? you still got what you paid for, hockey cards. If its that huge of a deal that you are now willing to complain to a company that gave you what was listed on the pack, maybe you shouldnt be breaking that product. I dont break the cup because its too risky, instead just purchase what i would like. We have all had bad breaks and most of the time when i see other people complain ive usually done worse then they have...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See steviey2493's Items on eBay

I understand what everyone is saying, and I am not in it for making money at all. I guess part of it that I haven't mentioned is the past few UD boxes of previous years like 08/09 or 09/10 I have gotten (and split with my buddy) seemed to have a general pattern of quality where there seems to be an increasing amount of crap/less quality in a mid/high end product like Ultimate.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I understand what everyone is saying, and I am not in it for making money at all. I guess part of it that I haven't mentioned is the past few UD boxes of previous years like 08/09 or 09/10 I have gotten (and split with my buddy) seemed to have a general pattern of quality where there seems to be an increasing amount of crap/less quality in a mid/high end product like Ultimate.

I think it's more a case of, other than rookies, it's the same card of the same player as last year. Duchene is a good player and people went bananas for him in 09-10. Since then, he's been good, but not a superstar. There are now 4 years worth of Duchene autographs. You've lost markets on him.
    The people who go after the big rookies year after year are gone in 10-11
    Avalanche fans unhappy with his play
    If a guy gets traded, everything but his true RCs sudenly drop. (I don't think Rick Nash cards would be going any better if he were in a Chicago or Montreal jersey now that he's a Ranger)

And then there's a market people forget. The average casual-or-non-collector who just wants A Duchene RC or autograph or jersey card. After 4 years, those people are gone. They have theirs and don't want anymore.

More supply+less demand=$3 Duchene autos.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators
    See atmx093's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Formulating a complaint on that basis would make a lot more sense and I'm sure you'd find a lot of fellow collectors who will agree with you, but again I think your complaint may still be driven by the preferences of the secondary market. I'm guilty of the same sin; I always hope to get something that will make the box worth every dollar I paid for it!

It would be nice to try to re-focus on enjoying these little pieces of cardboard we pull out of our packs and to get back to the roots of why we started collecting. I think for most of us it started as children and back then there was no desire to break even (a very alien concept to a kid). We just enjoyed the cards. My 8-year old goes nuts when he pulls a Carey Price base card out of a pack and I find that so awkward, but he's RIGHT! Anyways, there's one feeling that I still have that I kept from back when I was a kid: Excitement! Even if I am upset with the results, I will still eagerly wait for the next wax busting session. So screw the secondary market and feel the excitement! :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Pittsburgh Steelers Cincinnati Reds
    See sxetnrdrmr2112's Items on eBay

Formulating a complaint on that basis would make a lot more sense and I'm sure you'd find a lot of fellow collectors who will agree with you, but again I think your complaint may still be driven by the preferences of the secondary market. I'm guilty of the same sin; I always hope to get something that will make the box worth every dollar I paid for it!

It would be nice to try to re-focus on enjoying these little pieces of cardboard we pull out of our packs and to get back to the roots of why we started collecting. I think for most of us it started as children and back then there was no desire to break even (a very alien concept to a kid). We just enjoyed the cards. My 8-year old goes nuts when he pulls a Carey Price base card out of a pack and I find that so awkward, but he's RIGHT! Anyways, there's one feeling that I still have that I kept from back when I was a kid: Excitement! Even if I am upset with the results, I will still eagerly wait for the next wax busting session. So screw the secondary market and feel the excitement! :)

I am 43, and I still go nuts at getting the base cards - especially Leafs! I still don't understand how anyone would expect to make money on every venture they tale in the activity. To me, the prospect getting a "gem" card randomly is much of the draw. I would get extremely bored by going out and actively seeking high end cards, and not finding the diamonds in the rough. It seems though, like the hobby has sort of "split", and you are either in it exclusively for one or the other.

CAn't feel sorry for people who lose money gambling, no matter what the forum

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I am 43, and I still go nuts at getting the base cards - especially Leafs! I still don't understand how anyone would expect to make money on every venture they tale in the activity. To me, the prospect getting a "gem" card randomly is much of the draw. I would get extremely bored by going out and actively seeking high end cards, and not finding the diamonds in the rough. It seems though, like the hobby has sort of "split", and you are either in it exclusively for one or the other.

CAn't feel sorry for people who lose money gambling, no matter what the forum

It's funny. I don't collect much base, but I always separate all the Canucks from the rest when I bust. Old habit from when I was a kid. They go in the same pile as the other base (when I was a kid they were destroyed with love) and end up with the same fate, but I still pull them all and count them up. It's part of the fun.

The funny thing is, everyone seems to be in the same mindframe. The last few breaks I've done have been less than stellar. I don't mind a bad break, but I will describe one as such. The second I do though, there's someone telling me that if I'm going to complain I shouldn't break anything or I should save up for the Cup only or leave the hobby. The thing is, I'm not complaining, I just know a bad break when I see one. People immediately get up in arms if you say you're disappointed. If I get all the right hits, but less-than-great players or no name rookies, that's disappointing. It doesn't mean I'm angry about it. It doesn't mean I'm complaining. It doesn't mean I regret the purchase or hate the companies. It's like a lottery ticket. If I don't win, people will agree to, "That's disappointing" but if I open a box I'm not supposed to be disappointed.

My point here is even those who get the gambling aspect and who understand the bad breaks will always outweigh the good still see it in terms of "investment vs return" and act as such. I don't agree with writing UD over something like this (no offence) but at the same time, expressing displeasure at a bad break is no different than looking at a losing lottery ticket and thinking "crap!" yet is often seen as whining moaning or complaining.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See nhanna45's Items on eBay

If there was gold in every box then they still wouldn't be worth much because the great cards would be easier to pull. This isn't a money making business. It is a hobby for a reason.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Pittsburgh Steelers Cincinnati Reds
    See sxetnrdrmr2112's Items on eBay

It's funny. I don't collect much base, but I always separate all the Canucks from the rest when I bust. Old habit from when I was a kid. They go in the same pile as the other base (when I was a kid they were destroyed with love) and end up with the same fate, but I still pull them all and count them up. It's part of the fun.

The funny thing is, everyone seems to be in the same mindframe. The last few breaks I've done have been less than stellar. I don't mind a bad break, but I will describe one as such. The second I do though, there's someone telling me that if I'm going to complain I shouldn't break anything or I should save up for the Cup only or leave the hobby. The thing is, I'm not complaining, I just know a bad break when I see one. People immediately get up in arms if you say you're disappointed. If I get all the right hits, but less-than-great players or no name rookies, that's disappointing. It doesn't mean I'm angry about it. It doesn't mean I'm complaining. It doesn't mean I regret the purchase or hate the companies. It's like a lottery ticket. If I don't win, people will agree to, "That's disappointing" but if I open a box I'm not supposed to be disappointed.

My point here is even those who get the gambling aspect and who understand the bad breaks will always outweigh the good still see it in terms of "investment vs return" and act as such. I don't agree with writing UD over something like this (no offence) but at the same time, expressing displeasure at a bad break is no different than looking at a losing lottery ticket and thinking "crap!" yet is often seen as whining moaning or complaining.

I am also in your camp as well. Iam not saying that people shouldn't get to vent, but when it gets taken to another 9sometimes) unnecessary level, it just creates more drama than needed...

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

I don't think you can compare group breaks to busting wax at all since any product you bust you are guaranteed something, but with group breaks you aren't guaranteed anything at all. That being said some topics are worth venting about and others there's nothing you can do and you might as well stay quiet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast