Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Thank you for writting this. I always keep coming back to this article time and time again to keep things in perspective. :) Think we could get this permanently "sticky'd" so other collectors can view this? :)

Blessings to you and your family.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wow, just browsing SCF and found this. Teared up a bit. Love this.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @JamesBosoxfan1

Boehmz, I agree, got a few tears in the eyes. What great memories. I am going to share my experiences. My earliest collecting memories are of opening a box of 1980 Topps with my dad and my getting to chew the gum and him handing me a Ben Ogilve card. My first card. As years past we still collected but had set it aside around 85 or so. My freshman year in high school was 1989 and I remember a friend bringing in a Beckett. I asked to borrow this magazine and take it to my dad who had all of his cards from his childhood days in the early 50's. he and I sat up many hours that night going through his cards and laughing and surprised at his card values. This resurrected our hobby. We started going to local card shops and card shows together, and my dad teaching me the history of the game he grew up watching and the players he loved to listen to on the radio, of course many of them were Yankees. My dad collected vintage where I liked new cards and players I grew up watching including my all time favorite Wade Boggs. As time passed and I went to college our collecting again was pushed aside for a long while until I landed in the same town as Tracy Stallard. (he gave up 61 to Maris) I knew of Tracy from a mutual friend and he advised me to just go to his house and ask him to sign something for my dad for Christmas. I had a '61 Topps I was wanting to get signed for him. When I arrived I met this huge man whose hand should have wrapped around mine at least twice it seamed, and I politely asked him to sign my card for my dad. he graciously asked me to come into his house and stated he had something better for my dad, and he left into his house to retrieve whatever he was going to get for me. When he returned he had a poster of himself on the mound with Maris in the background circling the bases, and he signed to my dad. When I gave it to my dad, I still remember the excitement in his eyes as he first looked at it. He was so excited he had it professional framed and he hung it in his office. A few years later he retired and almost immediately found out he had esophagus cancer from acid reflux. he was pretty down in the dumps about this and I soon found myself looking for something to brighten his spirits even though I lived 4 hours away and I ran across this sight and others where I could write to his childhood heros and get them to write back to him. I started this right before my trip to Biloxi for work. I always called my parents when I travel to ease their minds and when I did this time my dad could hardly contain himself, he got his first 4 returns in the mail. Robin Roberts, Bobby Doerr, Stan Musial and Bob Uecker. He was beyond excited, so I kept writing and he kept his spirits up through his surgery, and follow up and then the return of the cancer. I would write and he would get the letters and I would call every night to see what was new and what he got in the mail that day. We spent so much time together that last few years even though I was away. When I was "home" we would pull out his albums and his returns and look at his cards and his autographs. Then I lost my dad on January 6th, 2010 but he won his battle with cancer, and the day after his funeral I received an autograph addressed to him and I pictured his excitement when he got one in the mail, this kept motivated to keep this hobby of ours going. In April of the following year, after years of trying and finally giving up, my wife was pregnant and I knew from day 1 it was a boy and sure enough he was. So now I write and collect for him and the time in the future we will go through my cards and my dads and share our time together and make our memories, and I can tell him stories of my dad and get on my wife's nerves, thank goodness for the man room. LOL, God love her, she tolerates me though. My son started Tball this year at 4 and so far he is loving it, and my memories have started!!!
    I don't update too often but here is my Photobucket
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Boehmz, I agree, got a few tears in the eyes. What great memories. I am going to share my experiences. My earliest collecting memories are of opening a box of 1980 Topps with my dad and my getting to chew the gum and him handing me a Ben Ogilve card. My first card. As years past we still collected but had set it aside around 85 or so. My freshman year in high school was 1989 and I remember a friend bringing in a Beckett. I asked to borrow this magazine and take it to my dad who had all of his cards from his childhood days in the early 50's. he and I sat up many hours that night going through his cards and laughing and surprised at his card values. This resurrected our hobby. We started going to local card shops and card shows together, and my dad teaching me the history of the game he grew up watching and the players he loved to listen to on the radio, of course many of them were Yankees. My dad collected vintage where I liked new cards and players I grew up watching including my all time favorite Wade Boggs. As time passed and I went to college our collecting again was pushed aside for a long while until I landed in the same town as Tracy Stallard. (he gave up 61 to Maris) I knew of Tracy from a mutual friend and he advised me to just go to his house and ask him to sign something for my dad for Christmas. I had a '61 Topps I was wanting to get signed for him. When I arrived I met this huge man whose hand should have wrapped around mine at least twice it seamed, and I politely asked him to sign my card for my dad. he graciously asked me to come into his house and stated he had something better for my dad, and he left into his house to retrieve whatever he was going to get for me. When he returned he had a poster of himself on the mound with Maris in the background circling the bases, and he signed to my dad. When I gave it to my dad, I still remember the excitement in his eyes as he first looked at it. He was so excited he had it professional framed and he hung it in his office. A few years later he retired and almost immediately found out he had esophagus cancer from acid reflux. he was pretty down in the dumps about this and I soon found myself looking for something to brighten his spirits even though I lived 4 hours away and I ran across this sight and others where I could write to his childhood heros and get them to write back to him. I started this right before my trip to Biloxi for work. I always called my parents when I travel to ease their minds and when I did this time my dad could hardly contain himself, he got his first 4 returns in the mail. Robin Roberts, Bobby Doerr, Stan Musial and Bob Uecker. He was beyond excited, so I kept writing and he kept his spirits up through his surgery, and follow up and then the return of the cancer. I would write and he would get the letters and I would call every night to see what was new and what he got in the mail that day. We spent so much time together that last few years even though I was away. When I was "home" we would pull out his albums and his returns and look at his cards and his autographs. Then I lost my dad on January 6th, 2010 but he won his battle with cancer, and the day after his funeral I received an autograph addressed to him and I pictured his excitement when he got one in the mail, this kept motivated to keep this hobby of ours going. In April of the following year, after years of trying and finally giving up, my wife was pregnant and I knew from day 1 it was a boy and sure enough he was. So now I write and collect for him and the time in the future we will go through my cards and my dads and share our time together and make our memories, and I can tell him stories of my dad and get on my wife's nerves, thank goodness for the man room. LOL, God love her, she tolerates me though. My son started Tball this year at 4 and so far he is loving it, and my memories have started!!!

Thank you for sharing your story! That was awesome. Like I've said before, cards may come and go, but the memories are priceless. May God bless you and your family and may you have many years of memories collecting with your son. Reading this post made my day and I really thank you for sharing!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Bsn8810500's Items on eBay Instagram:

Why I still collect.

My son was four years old, my daughter was 6, when we attended our first baseball game as a dad out with his kids. Team USA was playing Canada in Louisville KY. We had a blast. Team USA won and I would like to think it was all because of our chants of "We want a pitcher, not a belly itcher", "Hey batter, batter, batter, sswwiinngg!" and "Hey Ump, clean your glasses"!

After the game fans swarmed the wall looking for a chance to get an autograph from the next big phenom. My kids and I went down by the third base line near the backstop and we watched arm after arm, loaded with cards, balls, and sharpies begging for someone to sign something, anything!. We didn't have any item for the players to sign so we just watched the ball players making their way past the out stretched hands. I will never forget what happened next.

Charles Johnson, the catcher, came over to us and said to my son "What's up little dude?" He didn't know what to say except "We won and I saw fireworks". Charles smiled and asked if we had anything we would like for him to sign. All we had were the ticket stubs and no, we didn't have a pen. Without batting an eye he reached over next to us and grabbed a pen from some anonymous hand and signed my son's ticket stub and then my daughter's. Then he handed the pen over to Craig Wilson so he could sign them also. Craig said some kind words about how cute the kids were and he hoped we had a good time. We sure did!

The next day I went to a local card shop and bought cards with both players in their Team USA uniforms and placed the stubs and cards in protective plastic holders. That started my collecting adventures with my son.

I had collected baseball cards in the late 60's and early 70's when I was a kid but at that time was really only interested in the gum and how many cards I could clothes pin to my bike frame so that the cards would make a cool noise as I rode around the neighborhood. Yes, players like Joe Morgan and Tom Seaver had a short life expectancy when it was time to ride like the wind.

Collecting with my son was different. I knew that one day any cards we collected would be his along with the memories that came with them. His first big "special" card was a Michael Jordan insert from '91 Upper Deck baseball (still have the complete set and card). It was nice to spend time with him busting packs, arranging sets and just getting excited about getting any cool rookie card. Plus as a father I learned that it helped him learn his numbers. Doesn't hurt to have a hobby that can be, if only a little, educational.

Years would pass and our collection grew, stashed away in his closet, on the floor, in the bathroom, under his dresser. We had fun. After he discovered girls our collecting slowed but we still managed to find some time for it. A pack here and there. Still getting excited at pulling that special rookie we needed or common card to finish off a set.

This past Christmas I gave away almost every sports card, autographed baseball, Pokemon card, except for a few, to great nephews and kids of friends and co-workers. Still have the ticket stub autos, Michael Jordan insert, and a couple of sets we put together. Wanted to give the rest a new purpose and a new home.

My son's obituary hangs just above the computer so that every time I turn it on and log in it helps me to keep my perspective. He was killed by a drunk driver on the night of his 17th birthday. I quit collecting because it just wasn't important to me and I didn't have my "collecting buddy" to enjoy it with. Hopefully his cards will bring a smile to someone who would look at them, read them, trade them, have fun with them.

"Perspective" was a word I saw in one of the first posts I read after joining SCF. Hit me like a ton of bricks. Changed my perspective. Got bitten by the collecting bug again a couple of months back but decided to just do it for fun.

Maybe one day my daughter will bless us with a grandchild and I can give them the new cards I have. Until then I am going to continue to give cards to kids, be it for good grades or just a smile. Perspective! I still get excited about pulling a simple old fashioned rookie card. Not every pack is going to have a gold dusted, diamond filled autograph numbered 1 of 1 and it won't be delivered on a satin pillow resting on the butt of a unicorn. We are going to get a lot of "useless" cards but, give a kid a useless card and that card finds a new purpose.

My sons death taught me to enjoy the simple things in life. I miss the day when we would sit in the family room, cards all over the floor, furniture, the dog. But if I can still get a little rush out of finding a good card then it takes me back and makes me remember my son, Aaron, our first baseball game, our first special card, his excitement and laugh. That's why I collect now. To remember and to keep my perspective.

Thank you for allowing me to write about my hobby, and most importantly my son. I think he's proud of his old man and the cards "we" now have. I've had interactions with some very nice people here on the forum. Each trade and post lets me have him back if only for a while and for that I thank you!

The last words I said to my son were "Never get to big to hug your old man. I love you". I encourage all of you to hug those important to you, tell them you love them, and keep perspective in mind. One day our collections might be gone but the memories we make with others are much more valuable....priceless.

Chajones (SCF member) thank you for putting the word "perspective" in your sig. Charles Johnson and Craig Wilson thank you for being so nice to my kids and giving me a memory I will take to my grave.

And to Aaron, "Miss you big guy! I love you!"

Just doing this for fun! Perspective!
    In memory of my son (my collecting buddy), Aaron
    4/8/88-4/8/05

very beautifully written...I think every trader really should read this, it absolutely puts things in perspective.
    I find myself getting into too many arguments on here with people over trades, but after reading this I
    promise to take the high road going forward and keep things in perspective. thank you for opening up to all
    of us, your son would be very proud of you.

SCF Rewards
    Country

What a beautiful story. I'd be a liar if I didn't say it made me tear up. Thank you for sharing guys. Perspective. I like that. :)

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

What a beautiful and moving article; thank you for writing it!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Bears Chicago Blackhawks
    Twitter: @@DaveMitchner See squiresoldan's Items on eBay Instagram:
    Send PayPal to DaveMitchner Member is PayPal Verified

After I finished reading the article, it got awfully dusty up in this office. I know a little man (who isn't even18 months) that's getting a supersized hug when I get home tonight. My condolences, and thank you for this article.

Perspective is what I need to remember from this point forward. Thank you for sharing.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    The Bench (105)
    Country
    Kansas City Royals Chicago Bears St Louis Blues

Guys, I am moved with emotion myself, and would love to share some of my story in this very awesome thread, perfect for this Holiday Season, great memories.

My experience collecting began when I was small, and ebbed and flowed over the years. I no longer actively collect anything, but enjoy being on here seeing everyone's collections and successes....all the fun with none of the expense or maintenance!

My deepest condolences to papaperk, so sorry to hear about your son. My wife and I lost a baby last year, and while we didn't have the ability to love our baby Jordan for the 17 years you loved and continue to love your son Aaron, my heart and prayers go for you and your family. I am confident that your son is in Heaven, you will see him again someday. Your collecting and even more important, your giving, is a great way to keep his special memories alive. Incidentally, your son shared a birthday with my wife.

Dadandsoncards, I remember you from "the bench", and again, my condolences about your Dad, yours is also a truly heartwarming story, and a fun way to remember as well. Congrats on your baby, our paths have mirrored one another (infertility, Dad's death....all part of God's plan!). Glad all is well, and prayers for your family!

I have added my favorite Bible verse, and of course a thought about "Perspective" in my signature, as the very best of life passes us by oftentimes when we are otherwise occupied. Savor every minute!

Merry Christmas, God Bless!

Kevin

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Guys, I am moved with emotion myself, and would love to share some of my story in this very awesome thread, perfect for this Holiday Season, great memories.

My experience collecting began when I was small, and ebbed and flowed over the years. I no longer actively collect anything, but enjoy being on here seeing everyone's collections and successes....all the fun with none of the expense or maintenance!

My deepest condolences to papaperk, so sorry to hear about your son. My wife and I lost a baby last year, and while we didn't have the ability to love our baby Jordan for the 17 years you loved and continue to love your son Aaron, my heart and prayers go for you and your family. I am confident that your son is in Heaven, you will see him again someday. Your collecting and even more important, your giving, is a great way to keep his special memories alive. Incidentally, your son shared a birthday with my wife.

Dadandsoncards, I remember you from "the bench", and again, my condolences about your Dad, yours is also a truly heartwarming story, and a fun way to remember as well. Congrats on your baby, our paths have mirrored one another (infertility, Dad's death....all part of God's plan!). Glad all is well, and prayers for your family!

I have added my favorite Bible verse, and of course a thought about "Perspective" in my signature, as the very best of life passes us by oftentimes when we are otherwise occupied. Savor every minute!

Merry Christmas, God Bless!

Kevin

What a nice comment Kevin ... it's people like you and comments like that, that give me hope for this hobby as I have run into some really bad apples while collecting and have almost quit many times, but there are still a lot of good apples out there ... like you

Have a great day!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast