Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

Good post, Star. Could be this is his "moment of realization" like yours? Who knows. I get the issue, but do think it's blown out of proportion a little.

ah... very true!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

Many black Americans, and only in the USA call white Americans, particularly women, "Honkys" as it most correctly describes them as they talk through their noses. Many whites find this offensive, when it's not offensive in the least.

Listen closely...... I can point out 30-40 that I see daily here in Oregon that speak so nasally that I want to pull my hair out. The funny thing is that most honkys don't even know that the word is used to describe the wretched way in which they speak/sound.

I have a female friend here that is 50 and does not talk through her nose, when I provided the explanation of "honky" she didn't believe me. She was certain that it had to be something far more worse than that, but she was unable to come up with anything. She actually thought I was making this up. Then there are some whites that are so sheltered in their white world that have never even heard the term, this also included gaggles of people from the Oregon town in which I live.

If you live in a bubble like 30% of most American white people, you will never find things out. The original meaning I believe comes from Africa and was a hard H - Xonk meaning Red Ears. Later on in the USA white men looking in areas for black and white prostitutes would honk their car horns instead of getting out and being part of the solicitation.

The explanation I provided, is the most fitting and appropriate. Most whites just think it means the same thing as the Hillbilly "C" word. I won't transpose that word, as we have a mod on here that threw me off for a week for using it in the past.

Today honky has become completely offensive. If something adequately describes an action or a repetitive behaviour, I don't see all the fuss.

interesting. I had no idea of the background of honky. I wonder if the term HonkyTonk might be an example of whites taking a derogatory term and taking ownership of it to take away the power of it's negativity.

As far as the term honky, I find the term absurd and mostly comical. If a person called me that even in anger I still may laugh.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Star:

A fourth meaning of honky also comes from the shortened Western Country bar, or Honkey-tonk visited at one time by racist whites and still today. This is another meaning that many in States like Texas believe is offensive.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Besides this website you and I do know each other on a personal level. If you called me that on the street then there would be a serious problem.

If I'm not using it in a derogatory way, again, why can't I say it besides the fact I'm white? There isn't another reason, it's only because I'm white.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

If I'm not using it in a derogatory way, again, why can't I say it besides the fact I'm white? There isn't another reason, it's only because I'm white.

So if you want to call a black person the n word you should have no problem with a man calling your momma or your sister a female dog.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

veggie, you have proven that race makes the difference for you. you have white friends, but only your black ones can call you the n word and you are ok with it, not your white ones.

that is way more racist then this idiot using a slang word in an unprofessional manner

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

So if you want to call a black person the n word you should have no problem with a man calling your momma or your sister a female dog.

I would never actually call a black person, or any person the n-word. As I said earlier, it's insulting, and it's a mean word to use. All I'm saying is what's the difference between a white person and black person saying the same word? It's the color of skin, correct?

That's a problem, nobody should use that word.

If you could find a way to call my mom that word in a non derogatory way, I say go for it, because in all seriousness, I have no idea how that would be possible.

Kind of random question for you though, I've always wondered, what's the difference in using the n-word with the ending of 'er' vs 'a'?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would never actually call a black person, or any person the n-word. As I said earlier, it's insulting, and it's a mean word to use. All I'm saying is what's the difference between a white person and black person saying the same word? It's the color of skin, correct?

That's a problem, nobody should use that word. You are right in an ideal word no one would use racist, sexist or religiously offending words but that's not the society that we currently live in. It goes back to my point of not everything is for everyone. I would not call any of my white friends any of the words that degrade them, I would not call my wife/momma/sister a female dog and I would not tolerate any white person calling me the n word even it it is in good fun.

If you could find a way to call my mom that word in a non derogatory way, I say go for it, because in all seriousness, I have no idea how that would be possible.

Kind of random question for you though, I've always wondered, what's the difference in using the n-word with the ending of 'er' vs 'a'? They are both wrong.

responses in bold

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

I would not call any of my white friends any of the words that degrade them, I would not call my wife/momma/sister a female dog and I would not tolerate any white person calling me the n word even it it is in good fun.

but if they are black it is ok? you will call a black friend a word you say is degrading if it comes from a white person

SCF Rewards
    Country

but if they are black it is ok? you will call a black friend a word you say is degrading if it comes from a white person

It is what it is. Imagine this. If some of you white friends said that they were going to the bar to hear some "degrading word about white people" music you wouldn't pay it a second thought. If you black friend said a similiar thing you would probably give him a dirty look mabey challenge him to a fight or even hope he goes down there and get's his backside kicked.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast