Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mikebraycomics's Items on eBay

thinking of starting a Master Set

As my Predators collection keeps growing - but at a slower pace after filling in hundreds of the pre 2011/12 cards except the much higher end and super low # parallels , i`ve been considering starting a side project of working on a master set of something . Now i`m not going to try a super complete master including as many 1/1 as I can get but a nice mid or higher end base set and a couple of the GU or Auto subsets that go with it . I was thinking of possibly Dominion or Prime - I`ve got most of the Preds from these sets and like the design and GU/Autos that i`ve got -- but would like some other opinions -- I didnt want to start something more than a couple years old and as far as the GU or Auto portion I would work on I wouldnt want anything that I would have to mortgage the house for -- so nothing with a $900 RNH GU Auto for example -- oh and a GU or Auto set I would like a mix of current and retired stars -- throw me your ideas and suggestions -- thanks much -- Mike

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I've been having lots of fun working on last year's BTP.

- Base Set
    - Puzzle Pieces (decoys / points)
    - Autographs, few SPs mixed into normal sets
    - SP Autograph subset
    - Game Jersey (60 in set, I've been trying to only get multi-color)
    - Many other GU sets, single players, duals, tripples, quads, etc.

I broke of case of it, so the first two sets were easy to finish. Had been working on the Autos, but not the SP'd sets for a long time (La Belle Province, Stars & Stripes).

Game used, the regular jerseys /140 (I think) and I also did the set of Aspire right away (they're /70, I believe). Been adding other GUs when I can get something nice at a good price too though, so slowly building out some of the other sets.

Been a lot of fun, and I think this is something that I'll probably still be working on in another year.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See the_hockeycouple's Items on eBay

Fleer Retro might be a lot of fun. You have the base set plus all of the shorter print subsets. It could provide a bit of a challenge. Not much in the auto realm (the autos are terrible) and no mem, but the inserts would be a lot of fun.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (62)
    Country

Honestly, if you're anything like me don't start any set. There's been times in the past where I have lulls in acquiring stuff for my Bluejackets collection and decide to do something else. Every time I've done it, I've lost interest and ended up trading the stuff from the sets for CBJ stuff I couldn't find before or hadn't been released.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins
    See pensfan254858's Items on eBay

I've been having lots of fun working on last year's BTP.

- Base Set
    - Puzzle Pieces (decoys / points)
    - Autographs, few SPs mixed into normal sets
    - SP Autograph subset
    - Game Jersey (60 in set, I've been trying to only get multi-color)
    - Many other GU sets, single players, duals, tripples, quads, etc.

I broke of case of it, so the first two sets were easy to finish. Had been working on the Autos, but not the SP'd sets for a long time (La Belle Province, Stars & Stripes).

Game used, the regular jerseys /140 (I think) and I also did the set of Aspire right away (they're /70, I believe). Been adding other GUs when I can get something nice at a good price too though, so slowly building out some of the other sets.

Been a lot of fun, and I think this is something that I'll probably still be working on in another year.

I second the above suggestion - 11/12 BTP was one of my favorite releases with a lot of game used subsets worth trying to go after.

Your thought on Dominion isn't a bad call either - a lot of the cards seems pretty sharp to me and say w/i a reasonable amount. The rookie patch cards will be pricey for the bigger names if you go after them, though.