Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Newlyweds Fight to Live Together

Taken from Castanet.net
    Full story here: http://www.castanet.net/edition/news...0-5-.htm#91600
    Newlyweds fight in to live in same home
    by The Canadian Press
    May 7, 2013 / 6:50 am

PORT JEFFERSON, N.Y. - With the beaming smiles of newlyweds, Paul Forziano and Hava Samuels hold hands, exchange adoring glances and complete each other's sentences. Their first wedding dance, he recalls, was to the song "Unchained ..." ''Melody," she chimes in.
    They spend their days together in the performing arts education centre where they met. But every night, they must part ways. Forziano goes to his group home. His wife goes to hers.

The mentally disabled couple is not allowed to share a bedroom by the state-sanctioned nonprofits that run the group homes, a practice the newlyweds and their parents are now challenging in a federal civil rights lawsuit.

"We're very sad when we leave each other," Forziano says. "I want to live with my wife, because I love her."

The couple had been considering marriage for three years before tying the knot last month, and they contend in their lawsuit that they were refused permission from their respective group homes to live together as husband and wife. The couple's parents, also plaintiffs in the lawsuit, said they have been seeking a solution since 2010.

"It's not something we wanted to do, it's something we had to do," said Bonnie Samuels, the mother of the bride.

The lawsuit contends Forziano's facility refused because people requiring the services of a group home are by definition incapable of living as married people, and it says Samuels' home refused because it believes she doesn't have the mental capacity to consent to sex.

Legal experts are watching the case closely as a test of the Americans With Disabilities Act, which says, in part, that "a public entity shall make reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures ... to avoid discrimination on the basis of disability." The group homes are licensed as nonprofits by the state and receive Medicaid funding on behalf of their clients...
    So what does everyone else think. Personally, with no precident, I think this is going to be a very interesting case.

Quote Originally Posted by shrewsbury View Post
    that would not be in the agreement, which is part of government regulations, at least in Ohio.

so no, they would not be beaten,
    So your answer is that if it hypothetically was in the agreement it would not be in the agreement?

Do yellow elephants travel in groups of four because aliens don't wear hats too?

Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    I think it is a simple fix. They live in a group home that has restrictions on them sleeping together and living together. I am sure that when they moved in they had no problem with the restrictions and most likely even signed paperwork agreeing to the restrictions. If they don't like the restrictions, they should move out. Their parents want them to live together so bad even though they are incapable of living on their own, they should let them move in with them.
    they should move in with the parents and might be more happyer if they did?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123