Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Tretiak: World Cup of Hockey set for a comeback in 2016

The last World Cup of Hockey was held in 2004. A great hockey spectacle showcasing the world’s best players battling it out for their country was the successor of the equally historic Canada Cup that was held from 1976 to 1991. Since the last World Cup of Hockey there have been a few suggestions to bring the tournament back, especially in light of the desire of players involved to be able to play for their country at a high level tournament (no offence, IIHF World Championships).

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...214335953.html

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

When Canada won this thing nobody wanted to touch it. Mario was a bit embarrassed and finally had to cart the bloody thing off the ice, laughing as he did so.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't think this is the way to go. There's loads of people paying attention to the IIHF World Championships, myself included. It's a really big deal especially in Europe. There's already the Olympics, so why add the Word Cup of Hockey? It would eliminate the chances of the NHL taking part in future Winter Olympics, which I don't think is in any hockey fan's interest.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

I remember TV ratings even in Canada being dreadful for the last 2 Hockey World Cups. Nobody cares as long as Lord Stanley and the OlympRocks are around.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I don't think this is the way to go. There's loads of people paying attention to the IIHF World Championships, myself included. It's a really big deal especially in Europe. There's already the Olympics, so why add the Word Cup of Hockey? It would eliminate the chances of the NHL taking part in future Winter Olympics, which I don't think is in any hockey fan's interest.

If it happens, it will be part of a negotiated deal between the NHL, the NHLPA, and the IIHF. We know that the PA loves being a part of the Olympics - there's no way that they'd make it--or allow--a condition such that the World Cup rules out the Olympics. It would simply add a best-on-best tournament every four years at the mid-point between Olympics.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content