Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Why I subscribe To Beckett.

The reason why I enjoy having a subscription to beckett is because I have an idea of what my cards are worth. Also they list all the card shows in my area (helps a lot for me) and also give me an idea of what new products come out. Another thing that really helps is that they have the "By The Box" which tells me that they may have pulled something and good and thus shows whether or not the box is worth it to buy. Also they have the sample cards that you get from sets that wont come out until a month or two after that beckett comes out.

Some more reasons that help cause the magazine to be so cool is the special editorials that they have each month. You always see someone every month asking about what the editiorial has. One final thing that I think about is the little shop of honors where you see that these people pull such cool things and you just thing "Wow I wish I would of pulled that!" That shows so many things that in my opinion that make the beckett magazine so cool.

Why do you guys subscribe or buy beckett?

I am a subcriber and I love the sample cards. Another reason is I like to price my cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @sasesportssigs Instagram:

If anyone subscribes to Tuff Stuff could they put down their reasons as well? I guess that's the other hobby price guide out there and I'm curious how similar or different it is to Beckett.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rodent144's Items on eBay

I buy tuff stuff because it is cheaper than buying 4 becketts a month. It also has great articles, especially sig stuff.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sorry, but I recently cancelled my magazine subscription. I use the Beckett online price guide (OPG) exclusively now. I especially like the New Release Pricing, available to OPG subscribers only.

I find that the magazine concentrates on too many recent sets and prices. I'm looking for a broader range of price listings. Many of the articles are already outdated by the time the magazine arrives.

I read about various box breaks on the Beckett.com forums.
    http://www.beckett.com/iforum/default.asp?board=News

The card show calendar is available online.
    http://www.beckett.com/news/calendar.asp

Other than the SAMPLE cards, you can get almost everything else from the Beckett.com site.

SCF Rewards
    Country

one thing about tuff stuff that I do not like is a very limited amount of price listings for older card sets. I bought one to price some of my older hockey cards a year back, and from the 83-84 OPC set, they listed like 2 cards. Those cards are like a $15 and a $8 card, and all of the others, $5, $2, etc are not shown at all.

Maybe TS only lists the things that seem to be selling at the time, and does not list rookies of good players, but are no longer playing, which makes sense if you go along with the theory that if a card does not sell at all in a year, is it really worth anything at all...) That seems to be a common gripe about Beckett pricing of older cards that people do not pay even close to Beckett price, people mainly are interested in internet price...

But, I no longer like hockey, and I didn't really watch when I was a kid, just bought packs, how am i to know what is even a semi good player?

The reason why I like Beckett, is it gives you an idea of what is out there, so you can chose what to collect. For exampla, a while back they showcased a Stadium Club card autograped by Randy Moss and Terrell Owens, my 2 favorite recievers. I would never have known about that card unless I saw it in that mag and I look for it every week on ebay, hoping to find one. I have not seen one in the year plus I have been looking, so I wonder if it even exists... it gives you areference of what a lot of the cards look like, so you do not have to try to find a picture on ebay to see if you like it or not.

For example, in one issue, it shows the entire rookie premier autograph from Topps set. A really sharp set that many people will never be able to afford in their collections, because the print runs are rumored to be as low as 10, or 25. Not sure if these can be confirmed, but this set is the only thing at all some people buy, making them unavailable for those with a tight budget.

It also gives me an idea of the difficulty of pulling a specific card, like which cards are SPs in sets, which can be found easily, so if I am making a trade, i know I am not giving up something harder to find for something I could easily pull out of a pack myself.

SCF Rewards

I think Tuff Stuff is a better read, but their price guide is not at all accurate. Neither is Beckett, of course, but so many people carry it around like a bible that you should know what they are saying about cards if you are a seller. Ebay, and other sites like it, are your true price guides, as has been said in a few other recent threads already.