Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Opinion On Group Breaks

As the hobby has changed over the years group breaks have become a major part of it if not the biggest contributing factor to how successful our hobby will move on in the future. That being said there are a lot of questionable things that go on during these group breaks that take place on a daily basis. I watch these group breaks as often as I can and usually I can tell who is legit or not but there are always rumors floating around about who is doing what and how often they're doing it.

Some of the lingering issues in my head are if they are doing this legally. Do these group breakers have legit business license to be selling online? My answer to this is simple and it is yes since they have a store online and just from talking around with my hobby friends, everything seems to be fine. But then comes another moral issue which is perhaps bigger than the legal one.

Gambling is not allowed in any form online or anywhere without some form of license or contract, but every single group break or raffle you join is a form of gambling since there are not guarantees for anything. This doesn't bother me too much since it isn't my money and I will never join a group break, but what are your opinions on this? Do you just shrug it aside and enjoy the group breaks with disregard for the moral issues?

I am quite the skeptical person and that is a fault of mine, but hearing all these rumors about breakers stealing cards, switching cards and all the over pricing that goes on in the hobby, I am really sick of it all. Can't we just all get along and do things responsibly? Is it really that hard to ship out a card on time and with proper shipping practices?

I enjoy watching group breaks with a great passion and it is always exciting when a big card is called, but after every big pull I always wonder how much 100s if not 1000s of dollars that person has spent to get that one big card. I wrote a long piece on the spending habits of collectors in the past and it just comes up again now. I guess it is human nature to be high risk and no reward? As long as it's all in good fun I guess there is nothing wrong with it, but it remains puzzling to me.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See redzwestisbest's Items on eBay

There is no legal precedent on it explicitly. If the group breakers are paying taxes on their profits and reporting their numbers (paypal and/or their merchant accounts track these things for them), then they will be fine. The main thing about raffles is that the group breakers are not profiting off of the raffles themselves. They aren't even technically profiting off of the RESALE of a product. You are basically splitting the cost of a case with others that join the break and the Host is the moderator of this. You are paying the moderator/host to find the product, purchase the product, open the product, sort, package, supplies, etc. The Host is providing a service to you. Cardboardconnection's had a podcast about the legality of Group Breaks.

What are the rumors of group breakers stealing cards? I suggest to only go with the reputable productions. Its not to say you can't trust the newer players, but there are PLENTY of good people doing it to never have to worry about that. Rule #1 is NEVER buy into a Group Break that isn't LIVE on camera and where you can communicate with the host.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yea, I only buy into group breaks that are live on camera, I've had a lot of fun with em though. My best hit was when I bought into a random triple threads case break for $65 and pulled the Tigers and hit a Verlander all star patch /9 (plus a couple other cool GU).

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think they are foolish gambles for the most part

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics
    COMC Cards For Sale

i never got it....seems like a gamble and waste of money

SCF Rewards
    Country

I love watching the group breaks. CNC is the best site for it!
    I COLLECT HIGH END TRUE AUTO RCS OF LEBRON JAMES, GIANNIS, TOM BRADY, CONNOR MCDAVID & SIDNEY CROSBY.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Its just as much of a gamble as buying a box pretty much... I mean, you're not guaranteed a hit but you're paying a lot less...

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

I love watching the group breaks. CNC is the best site for it!

Not to start another bag of worms, but there are far better group breakers out there and I'll just leave it at that.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Its just as much of a gamble as buying a box pretty much... I mean, you're not guaranteed a hit but you're paying a lot less...

I disagree since every box guarantees something and with a group break spot you're not guaranteed anything at all.

SCF Rewards
    Country

True, you can still get 0 cardboard. The only box I can ever think of where you're most closest to break even or even make money are mcdonalds 600 pack boxes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast