Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Why when given an empty goaltending gun, do the Leafs somehow find a stray bullet and shoot themselves in the Groin?

This has been happening since Mike Palmateer left. Really, think about it, it has.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See djrecords's Items on eBay

they don't trade for Bernier if they are convinced Reimer is their guy.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The trade confuses me.

If the Leafs don't have faith in Reimer, and think Bernier is an upgrade, then I guess this makes sense (and I suppose that must be the case).

I just don't see why anyone would think Bernier is an upgrade over Reimer. I have been very critical of Reimer as a #1 goalie over the last couple of years (I don't think he's all that good, I could name 20+ goalies I'd rather have start than him) but I see no reason to expect Bernier to be any better. Becuase he has "pedigree" ?? Becuase he won a WJC Gold Medal?? Becuase he road the pine for a Stanley Cup victory?

I get that Bernier is considered a top prospect, and I would suspect that he'll be a decent starting goalie. I just don't understand how getting a guy with even less experience (and its not like this guy was JUST drafted. He's been on the bench longer than Reimer has been in the leauge) is any sort of upgrade. If anything, the Leafs will go through growing pains with this guy too.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See djrecords's Items on eBay

The trade confuses me.

If the Leafs don't have faith in Reimer, and think Bernier is an upgrade, then I guess this makes sense (and I suppose that must be the case).

I just don't see why anyone would think Bernier is an upgrade over Reimer. I have been very critical of Reimer as a #1 goalie over the last couple of years (I don't think he's all that good, I could name 20+ goalies I'd rather have start than him) but I see no reason to expect Bernier to be any better. Becuase he has "pedigree" ?? Becuase he won a WJC Gold Medal?? Becuase he road the pine for a Stanley Cup victory?

I get that Bernier is considered a top prospect, and I would suspect that he'll be a decent starting goalie. I just don't understand how getting a guy with even less experience (and its not like this guy was JUST drafted. He's been on the bench longer than Reimer has been in the leauge) is any sort of upgrade. If anything, the Leafs will go through growing pains with this guy too.

i've watched Bernier play since his rookie year. he has the goods. his technique is off the charts and when he is on his game he makes it look effortless because of his style.
    he won some very big games in his career with the Kings, especially the last two years. they definitely don't win the Stanley Cup last year without him because they would have missed the playoffs.

he took the Monarchs to the Finals in the AHL and they had no business being there. he was the entire team.

i could see Bernier and Reimer splitting time with the hotter goalie getting 50 starts and the other getting 30. but in 2-3 years i believe Bernier will be an All-Star, assuming the Leafs play at least a little defense. his upside is twice of Reimer's. that isn't a guarantee, but it is clear the Leafs don't believe Reimer is their guy or they don't make this deal. if he was, they would have signed a vet to back him up and teach him the ropes.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Don't rush to condemn Maple Leafs for Bernier trade

The NHL trade market began to heat up Sunday afternoon when the Toronto Maple Leafs acquired goalie Jonathan Bernier from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for winger Matt Frattin, goalie Ben Scrivens, Toronto’s second-round draft pick in either 2014 or 2015 and $500,000 in salary cap space. In the instant-reaction world of social media, many Leafs supporters quickly rushed to rip the deal, lamenting both the price Leafs GM Dave Nonis paid for Bernier as well as the effect it would have on last season’s starting goalie, James Reimer.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...daily_20130624

SCF Rewards
    Country

Bernier > Scrivens, that much is certain. The future 2nd-rounder in 2014 or 2015 I can live without, but Matt Frattin is a quality depth power forward who hasn't peaked yet. The Leafs seemed to have undervalued him from the get-go. I'll be sad to see him go, especially given that his place looks to be going to a softer kind of player. That's regression, Leafs management! Komarov is also not coming back, so what's the plan on the continuing with our toughness now? Most obviously, however, is that they just threw a very capable, dedicated, quality guy in James Reimer under the bus.

Not so sure about this one. There had better be more roster moves coming to compensate for the loss of toughness up front. I would rather have guys like Komarov and Frattin in there than guys like Orr and McLaren, who can fight, but can't play hockey worth a damn.

I absolutely agree with Paul here. Not the wisest move the the Maple Leafs. Reimer has just proven himself and now needs to battle it out to be a starter? Giving up Frattin, Scrivens and a second rounder was simply too much for 1 (backup) goalie.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kessel_fan_87's Items on eBay

The hockey news just named Reimer team MVP in their last issue. I don't mind the trade as long as bernier is #2 and Reims is #1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234