Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

MAJOR life decision, please weigh in................

Good evening ladies and gentlemen............

In less than a month, I will be 45 years old. I have a good job, I have a stable & happy personal life. And I have this hockey card hobby, about 15,000 cards give or take, plus some memorabilia plus some assorted bric-a-brac. For those of you who have seen my little Hall of Fame, you know what I'm talkin about.

I ALSO have a little money issue. Between me and my ex-wife's irresponsibility, I have 134,000 reasons to ask this question......

Is it time to sell?

I think that if I got rid of EVERYTHING, I'd be free and clear and have enough left over to pay off my car and take one heck of a vacation and not have to worry about putting in as much OT as humanly possible at work for the rest of my life. And I could always start over.

I think that if I got rid of everything but left my walls and shelves and display case intact plus keep the Habs binder and the Kesler & Linden pc's I could pay off the majority of it and at least the monthly interest payments wouldn't be $375. And I could always start over.

I think that if I did nothing except pay the interest and put $625+ towards the balance every month I'd be living paycheque to paycheque for the next 12-odd years. And when the prime rate goes up? I'm officially screwed.

Now then, my ex will be doing what she can. She does have the mortgage for the house I walked away from tho, and I do make quite a bit more than her. And I can't ask her to sell, I just can't, she's.......a cryer.

So. Whadaya think? I'm leaning towards number two. Heavily. But I'd really like your opinions. There's a great mix of old and young on these boards. I know some of you see hockey cards as just dollar signs and some of you see them as your babies.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiii thank you for your time.

Ed

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See hossa18sens's Items on eBay

I like #2 as well but you need to do what will keep you healthy. This keeps you in the game but helps you out

It is just cardboard (maybe a few pieces of wood)

The stress of debt can do a number on you and you can't take it with you.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

A bunch of boxes of cards, or the Stressful, unrelenting burden of increasing Debt by interest...jmho but your quality of life is worth more than the cards.

all the best!
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Being about the same age as you and having gone through the same life scenario as you recently, I would say pay off as much as you can. Keep just the really special cards. It is better to get a fresh start and have zero debt. Then you can collect again without having to worry about interest and debt. You'll feel a lot better.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (116)
    Country
    See patsfan12's Items on eBay

One thing that I've realized about the hockey card hobby over the past 7 years is that nothing is irreplaceable. If you need the money, keep the cards that mean the most to you and sell the ones that you know can be replaced later on. For my own collection, there are a number of items that although I enjoy having them, I also know that the companies will keep making more of them in the future. That said, there are about 5 cards in my collection that I know will not be produced again (ie. Bobby Orr Auto Emblem pictured with the Bruins) and those I would never sell. Sit down, figure out what you can realistically replace in a few years without too much difficulty and what you feel is irreplaceable. Keep the latter and sell the rest and in a few years when the finances are there rebuild the collection.

BANNED

Country

Keep your PC and the single BEST card you have, along with any PC or sentimental memorabilia/cards, sell the rest, and get those nasty interest payments away.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (20)
    Country
    See nyibeerforce's Items on eBay

Just my opinion but when it comes to making major decisions I wouldn't ask a bunch of "card geeks" (myself included) on what to do.

Although I guess I just put in my 2 cents, more if I was American, so I am a hypocrite.

I will say you are one of the very few whose posts and comments make me laugh with regularity and I hope you keep up that cool and humorous attitude throughout whatever happens.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just my opinion but when it comes to making major decisions I wouldn't ask a bunch of "card geeks" (myself included) on what to do.

Although I guess I just put in my 2 cents, more if I was American, so I am a hypocrite.

I will say you are one of the very few whose posts and comments make me laugh with regularity and I hope you keep up that cool and humorous attitude throughout whatever happens.

Hehehe. Thanks eh............

Who else am I gonna ask tho? I don't know anyone outside of here hahahaaaa. A lot of you all have actual lives and this whole thing is just a little side. Me, after I split up with my wife, work and the cards became my whole life. And now.......there's just SO. MUCH. STUFF.

I have never liked Wayne Gretzky, but I have a binder with 600 =/- cards in it. Paul Kariya, Dominik Hasek, Patrick Roy in an Avs jersey. Five binders of inserts. Four binders of jersey cards. It's actually making me nauseous to look at now!!!

75% of it (maybe more?) is "worthless" base & insert cards. What the heck am I gonna do with all of THAT????

This isn't as cut & dried as it might look...........

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See hossa18sens's Items on eBay

Hehehe. Thanks eh............

Who else am I gonna ask tho? I don't know anyone outside of here hahahaaaa. A lot of you all have actual lives and this whole thing is just a little side. Me, after I split up with my wife, work and the cards became my whole life. And now.......there's just SO. MUCH. STUFF.

I have never liked Wayne Gretzky, but I have a binder with 600 =/- cards in it. Paul Kariya, Dominik Hasek, Patrick Roy in an Avs jersey. Five binders of inserts. Four binders of jersey cards. It's actually making me nauseous to look at now!!!

75% of it (maybe more?) is "worthless" base & insert cards. What the heck am I gonna do with all of THAT????

This isn't as cut & dried as it might look...........

See the guys in my signature??? I need a pile of base and inserts for them lol

SCF Rewards
    Country

See the guys in my signature??? I need a pile of base and inserts for them lol

We uhhhhh travel in different circles there, mister......... Jesse Winchester & Colin Greening sound like cowboy names hahahaaaa!!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast