Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

I think you are onto something here. Would make jersey cards more valuable than they are now. A plain white piece of jersey would sell for a lot more than it normally would if it stated on the back of the card that Crosby wore that jersey on a specific date and scored a hat trick that night!

if people are questioning the legitimacy of the pieces in general, what makes you think they won't question the proof that a jersey was worn in a specific game. I agree it would be awesome yeah. Maybe a compromise would be to state the year of the jersey, this way we can attempt to pin point why the jersey is a strange color, ect.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think you are onto something here. Would make jersey cards more valuable than they are now. A plain white piece of jersey would sell for a lot more than it normally would if it stated on the back of the card that Crosby wore that jersey on a specific date and scored a hat trick that night!

if people are questioning the legitimacy of the pieces in general, what makes you think they won't question the proof that a jersey was worn in a specific game. I agree it would be awesome yeah. Maybe a compromise would be to state the year of the jersey, this way we can attempt to pin point why the jersey is a strange color, ect.

They would more than likely be able to do such a thing - depending on how detailed they are with cataloguing their inventory. For current guys it might be a little easier as they are always getting in new items. They just have to make sure that, as an example, when they're using the Max Pacioretty red/green jersey that they use that designation on the back of the card instead of the standard Set 2 Home Jersey from 2012-13 season. The green would be a giveaway on an error if they said it was from the latter. LOL

I do agree that it makes cards more interesting and valuable to know their source. One reason that I have held on to many of my 2008-09 UD memorabilia of Carey Price is that I *know* it comes from his rookie year. There's no other possibility for them when it comes to stuff like 08-09 Artifacts. One thing that has always had my curiousity is that in the Centennial set they say that the jersey used in his card is a "game issued" jersey instead of game used. The cards that Panini has produced using the 2009 All Star Game jersey also and the Centennial 1909-10 jersey get some extra interest from me because of that super scarcity. There will be standard Habs colours on cards for many years to come (until Fucale takes over? LOL) but those guys get some extra love from me.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Blowout (8)
    Country
    See billindallas75's Items on eBay

One word. Liability. In today's litigious and C.Y.A. environement, not only in the card industry but everywhere, I find it highly unlikely that any company will be willing to provide the sourcing information for every card. Between the time and resources that would be used in responding to inquiries, reprinting and replacing cards, and dealing with jokers threatening litigation, I doubt we will be seeing detailed information any time soon. On the flip side, I thought I remember hearing on a podcast earlier in the year that Panini had made a football product (possibly Gridiron, but I'm sure one of the football collectors can chime in) where they had stated where the jerseys were worn. So it CAN be done. The question of whether a company WANTS to on a large scale is another one altogether.

Ultimately when buying memorabilia cards, the degree that "caveat emptor" must be applied increases. It's up to each of us as collectors what we are comfortable with accepting as genuine and what is not. Speak with your dollars both when buying wax and buying on the secondary market. Until that happens there will always be room for ambiguity and misdirection and we will always have conversations like this.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes it would require some detail work for the companies when buying memorabilia to put into their cards. Also makes sense that they would want to avoid litigation if they make a mistake.

I guess a compromise would be for the company to pick maybe 1 product where they would put the detail onto the backs of the cards. Wouldn't be hard for them to make an extra effort when buying memorabilia for one set to record things like the specific date, player's points for that game, maybe a game winning goal and who the goalie was, penalty shot goal, fighting major, etc.

Create a new product that lists the details of the memorabilia on the back of the card. Maybe each pack has one memorabilia card with base and inserts. The memorabilia cards could vary with design, the amount of material, patches, includes autos, etc. A product such as this might help to increase the value of memorabilia cards again?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I would be shocked if there is anything that the Card Companies can do, to increase the value of memoribilia cards again.

- Vintage stuff is still really nice, I think this is one of the few areas of the hobby where cards from the last 5 years have a real chance to gain in value
    - Really amazing patches /sheilds / whatever, should keep high(er) prices.

Other than that, there's not much they can do.

If UD, Panini, and ITG all got together next off season, and agree to release no more than 500 GU cards (across all their products) each, it would likely serve to keep the prices of those cards up, becuase they'd all be pretty limited, but it wouldn't do anything to make the overall glut of GU cards go away. You'd see see stuff of 2007-08 sitting unsold in dollar bins.

The last couple of posts are bang on. The liability is something beyond what I believe any of those companies would (or even should) take on. The only real safe way to do it..... would be for an Upper Deck (as an example) representitive to litterly be @ the game, where Player X takes off his jersey as he's leaving the ice, and hands it to them.

Yes it would require some detail work for the companies when buying memorabilia to put into their cards. Also makes sense that they would want to avoid litigation if they make a mistake.

I guess a compromise would be for the company to pick maybe 1 product where they would put the detail onto the backs of the cards. Wouldn't be hard for them to make an extra effort when buying memorabilia for one set to record things like the specific date, player's points for that game, maybe a game winning goal and who the goalie was, penalty shot goal, fighting major, etc.

Create a new product that lists the details of the memorabilia on the back of the card. Maybe each pack has one memorabilia card with base and inserts. The memorabilia cards could vary with design, the amount of material, patches, includes autos, etc. A product such as this might help to increase the value of memorabilia cards again?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Not meaning to beat a dead horse here (well, maybe I am) but I think I best illustrate my point in the scan below. Nowhere, that I know of, do these colours come together in a Habs jersey as they do on this card. On any jersey (I have a pro jersey myself...unfortunately Cammalleri), wherever these colours come together they are separated by a seam and are different materials. Nowhere do they just "bleed" together like this. Hopefully some other Canadiens fans on here with an unhealthy obsession with all things Habs can back me up on this. So, this means one of two things...either UD's definition of "game used memorabilia" includes the socks...which personally I'm hoping is the case, and would be fine with. Or, it is an outright lie. Opinions?

Attachment 73660

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

Not meaning to beat a dead horse here (well, maybe I am) but I think I best illustrate my point in the scan below. Nowhere, that I know of, do these colours come together in a Habs jersey as they do on this card. On any jersey (I have a pro jersey myself...unfortunately Cammalleri), wherever these colours come together they are separated by a seam and are different materials. Nowhere do they just "bleed" together like this. Hopefully some other Canadiens fans on here with an unhealthy obsession with all things Habs can back me up on this. So, this means one of two things...either UD's definition of "game used memorabilia" includes the socks...which personally I'm hoping is the case, and would be fine with. Or, it is an outright lie. Opinions?

Attachment 73660

I'm not a Montreal expert so I don't have a ton of weight in this, but is it possibly from the collar around the neck? I'm not sure if they bleed together like that or not.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I'm not a Montreal expert so I don't have a ton of weight in this, but is it possibly from the collar around the neck? I'm not sure if they bleed together like that or not.

Nope...not like that. There's NO place on the jersey where they come together like that. Again, it might not be jersey. I don't think there's been much discussion about this, but official "memorabilia" doesn't necessarily mean jersey. How many of these UD cards are socks? Same colour scheme, and probably much cheaper. As I said, I prefer to think this is the case, rather than it being a bunch of bull.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I was going to suggest the barber pole jersey, but Gionta wasn't with the Habs when they wore those.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

official "memorabilia" doesn't necessarily mean jersey. How many of these UD cards are socks? Same colour scheme, and probably much cheaper.

Excellent point about the "game used memorabilia" notation. But even if it is not a jersey swatch, there is no real basis for a beef. Nothing on this card (front or back) suggests that it is guaranteed to be a jersey. It is a Frozen "Artifact" and a piece of "Memorabilia".

It really does look like sock material than it does jersey material. I believe the jersey material would have a "looser" weave.
    Last edited by Drewk86a; 07-13-2013 at 02:00 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast