Thread: Curious Question

Curious Question

Why are not there much black players in the NHL?

Well, there is a stereotype that black people don't like the cold. Other than that I would say it just matters where you come from. Most good hockey players come from Europe or Canada. Most good olympic runners come from Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by ducks100
    Well, there is a stereotype that black people don't like the cold. Other than that I would say it just matters where you come from. Most good hockey players come from Europe or Canada. Most good olympic runners come from Africa.
    Thanks for the answer.

old timers say

I asked old timers who played hockey in 40's, they tell me when you have ice that is the type of sports u play, if you don't have you play other sports, kinda makes sense HA. So not alot of colored people have the place to play like we did growing up????

I think ducks100 is partially correct - the majority of hockey players come from Canada and Northern Europe, where there is not a great amount of black people. There may also a social-economic factor, which is caused by the cost of a kid playing hockey throughout the years.

But if you look over the past 10 years, there has been an increase in black hockey players. The role models of playes like Grant Fuhr have made black kids realize that they can make it in the NHL.

I think Flyers16 hit on it a little...the main reason black people don't play hockey is because black people don't play hockey. By that I mean there aren't many black hockey players, so there isn't as big of a following by black youngsters. Basketball and football are the popular sports among black youth because there is a disproportionately large number of successful black players in those sports. The same reason baseball is more popular than football or basketball among youths in Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc.