Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

Taking questions for an article (note: this is not a submission)

I was going to write an article on my job as a photo editor at Panini.

The problem is, I can't think of where to go with it without making it page after page and boring, or too short and thus non-detailed.

So, I'd like to put it to the readers here. What sort of things have you wanted to know about making cards, especially the photo side? I'll answer them in an upcoming article.

And no, I can't get you free cards or reveal any secrets.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

A lot of questions spring to mind...

For instance in the process of making a set, how many pictures of any one player are taken? Do you guys just work with what the photograph brings back or you actually have a choice?

How long is the process to create a set from start to finish (i.e. selecting a checklist, photos and everything that goes with it)?

Does your job involves focusing on one product at the time or do you work on multiple sets in the course of a day?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @DaClyde See daclyde1's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio

Given the sheer volume of photos taken by fans, has Panini ever considered using player photos from non-professional photographers? For that matter, does a photographer have to have some sort of license to be able to sell their own photos of professional athletes?
    Last edited by DaClyde; 09-08-2013 at 01:01 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New York Yankees Columbus Blue Jackets Minnesota Golden Gophers

How does it really go card to card? I know there is a basic format, but other than that, is each individual card done seperately? Can some things be brought over, like the logo (as in the Panini logo) and the background, or is each card a lot of work?

Some other quicker questions:
    Which is better, in your opinion - A college/USA uniform or a pro uniform airbrushed out?
    Did you start as a photo editor with baseball as a hobby or a baseball fan who then got into photo editing?
    How much input do you have? If you had a great idea for a set, would there be a good way of passing it on?
    Are baseball and hockey products (not sure if Panini does hockey, something makes me think not) harder to edit because of how thin bats/sticks are?
    Have/do you ever get to meet players while doing your job?
    Is there a procedure for getting the photo approved by the players or allowing the player to see it early (to prevent issues like the Billy Ripken)?