Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Changes to the MLB - CONTEST ENTRY

Baseball is a great game. From powerhouses like the entire lifespan New York Yankees with twenty-seven championships to turn around teams such as the 2013 Boston Red Sox after a sixty-nine win campaign in 2012. The sport is a great getaway from the stresses of daily life. But the problem is that the sport has some major issues that need to be worked out. One of these problems is the whole instant replay ordeal. It was recently okayed but the owners, but why wasn't this in effect before? Instant replay was available in most major sports like football and basketball, but baseball wont get in until now. Where was instant replay back in early 2012 when Jerry Hairston, Jr., playing with the Dodgers, was called out by umpire Tim Welke and Todd Helton was more than a foot off of the first base bag?

What about back in June 2010 at Armando Galarraga's "Im-Perfect Game"(I'm an Indians fan and still say Jason Donald was out.)? Galarraga got to the bag waaaay before the hustling Donald did. But Jim Joyce called him safe:

If we had had instant replay earlier, calls like these wouldn't have happened.
    Another thing I think that Major League Baseball should do is add two expansion teams. Much like how the National Football League is considering adding expansion teams in new countries, I think that the MLB should do the same.
    Although the league has teams located in San Diego, Los Angeles and Phoenix, I think the league can create a much larger fan base in the country by adding at least one expansion team there. I believe one team should be added in Tijuana, which is the largest city on the Baja California Peninsula. Although last checked in 2010, the city of Tijuana has a growing population of currently 1.3 million. Although there is a team of the Golden Baseball League currently in Tijuana, they are inactive due to finances. The MLB could easily buy out the GBL and have more places around the continent to place expansion teams. Additionally, the city is located very close to the headquarters of the National League team, the San Diego Padres, and could create a good rivalry with each other.
    Another place the MLB could expand to is the city of Calgary, located in Alberta, Canada. The city hasn't had a baseball team since the Pacific Coast League's Calgary Cannons left for Albuquerque in 2002. Calgary is the largest city in Alberta, with a population of around 1.1 million people. I believe that the MLB needs to add another Canadian team, every since the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington D.C. and became the Washington Nationals in 2004. Calgary isn't as close to the other Canadian team, the Toronto Blue Jays, as the Expos were. Toronto is more towards the east coast of the United States while Calgary is closer to the west coast. If a team expanded to Calgary, baseball fans in Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba would not have to go so far to Rogers Centre in Toronto and could go to Calgary which is closer:

And I bet many Canadian baseball fans would pay a good amount of money to see Canadian players, such as Justin Morneau, Brett Lawrie and Joey Votto, come play in the land up North.
    The last thing that the MLB needs to do is something that fans around the country have been talking about for years: reinstate Pete Rose. I think the MLB should reinstate "Charlie Hustle". Why? He never did anything wrong in my opinion. Yes, he bet on the game, but he didn't take anabolic steroids and cheat like Ryan Braun. He didn't shred records and other player's stats with muscle growth enhancers, he trained and worked hard. Rose leads the MLB in career hits, games played and at bats. He went to seven-teen all star games, won an MVP award, and three batting titles. Also in his trophy case is a rookie of the year award, two gold gloves, three batting titles and three World Series rings. Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez tested positive for anabolic steroids not once, but TWICE. He even admitted to taking them. Has he been kicked out of baseball yet? No. But Pete Rose gets kicked out for supposedly betting on baseball? What? There was no evidence that Rose did bet on the game, and it is idiotic that he was ruled permanently ineligible.
    The MLB has many great things about it but also many major flaws. If the league can fix these issues, it will will not only be better for the game, but the fans as well.
    Last edited by jaredthe79; 11-15-2013 at 10:09 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Published here: https://www.sportscardforum.com/artic...es-to-the-mlb/

Thanks for the entry!