Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Report: 12-Year TV Deal for CBC & Rogers Sportsnet

No more NHL on TSN...

Pains me to report this, but NHL closing in on landmark CDN TV deal with two CDN networks. Many years (10+), many billions. Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie)

Official announcement expected Tuesday by NHL: CBC and Rogers have exclusive English-language NHL rights deal. Believed to be 12 year deal. Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie)
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Pretty nice... but I'll use NHL Game Center Live, anyways, haha. Can't wait to get it. I'm hoping to subscribe later today.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays NULL
    Twitter: @@TheJMCole See mikescards141's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=693152&navid=DL|NHL|home

12 years, CBC retains Hockey Night, Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays are exclusive Broadcast nights for Roger's and CBC.

No more regionalization. So local feeds can be watched in other regions, meaning Habs fans can now see allHabs games that aren't part of the National deal, as can Leafs fans, and so on.

Rogers will also take over NHL Center Ice and Game Center Live.

Not going to lie, I smelled this coming over a year ago when TSN and Parent Bell let it be known they wanted Saturday Nights.

I wonder which TSN personalities will jump networks next year?

Edit: It should also be noted that this deal gives TVA the French Language rights to the National Portion of the broadcast deal. As well Roger's will have complete editorial control of CBC's Hockey Night in Canada including the On Air talent.
    Last edited by mikecole141; 11-26-2013 at 11:08 AM.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Why do networks always feel that they can leverage sports organizations? ESPNBA tried it with the NHL and it's the biggest mistake they ever made. Their mistake was thinking that Hockey was going nowhere after the lockout.

The NHL outsells the NBA on a National level now during Playoffs, as the viewership is consistently higher. Shoving your weight around, or demanding certain things based on assumption will put you in a losing position. TV is losing almost half their audience to the internet as we speak, and they still don't know that half their lunch is missing.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=693152&navid=DL|NHL|home

12 years, CBC retains Hockey Night, Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays are exclusive Broadcast nights for Roger's and CBC.

No more regionalization. So local feeds can be watched in other regions, meaning Habs fans can now see allHabs games that aren't part of the National deal, as can Leafs fans, and so on.

Rogers will also take over NHL Center Ice and Game Center Live.

Not going to lie, I smelled this coming over a year ago when TSN and Parent Bell let it be known they wanted Saturday Nights.

I wonder which TSN personalities will jump networks next year?

Edit: It should also be noted that this deal gives TVA the French Language rights to the National Portion of the broadcast deal. As well Roger's will have complete editorial control of CBC's Hockey Night in Canada including the On Air talent.

The downsize for us Habs fans to this is that we have to listen to insufferable homers like the Senators Sportsnet feed team. Those guys are brutal, no ounce of objectivity.

I'm disappointed that TSN is out of the hockey broadcast business after this year. They are far and away the most professional and most polished team out there. The draft show, the UFA day, the trade deadline day - those events were built by TSN into really national day events. LOL But yes, let's show more PJ Stock and Doug MacLean.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays NULL
    Twitter: @@TheJMCole See mikescards141's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

As TSN has the team broadcast rights for both the Jets and the Habs you will actually get those local feeds now as well. As the deal says no more blackouts. While Roger's has exclusivity to all broadcasts on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. TSN will still be able to broadcast the Jets and Habs games not on those nights. As well TSN can buy more local broadcast rights as they come up for renegotiation.

TSN took a hit, but can still do well now that the regional blackouts are gone. Every game in Canada gets to be a National Game.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Maybe I didn't read the presser correctly (not trying to suggest you're wrong) and I actually think this would be good news, if TSN can stay in the game in some capacity (their on-air people are better, overall, than Sportsnet or CBC.... especially with Jay Onrait gone) but that isn't how I took it at all.

It made it sound (to me) like this was the end of regional broadcast deals, all games would be National, and Sportsnet would hold the rights to everything (while sublicensing to CBC).

As TSN has the team broadcast rights for both the Jets and the Habs you will actually get those local feeds now as well. As the deal says no more blackouts. While Roger's has exclusivity to all broadcasts on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. TSN will still be able to broadcast the Jets and Habs games not on those nights. As well TSN can buy more local broadcast rights as they come up for renegotiation.

TSN took a hit, but can still do well now that the regional blackouts are gone. Every game in Canada gets to be a National Game.

Overall, I think this is a win for fans. I don't really care what channel I'm watching - so long as I can see the game I want to watch. Sportsnet is currently much better suited than anyone else to give us multiple games on multiple channels, on a national scale.

If this means I won't be forced to turn to Leafs vs Whomever for my hockey fix on Saturday night.... and I can watch an Oilers game (pretty much) whenever I want, I'll be thrilled.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See BruHawk's Items on eBay

I think you will see a lot of talent jump ship to Sportsnet. However, I would suspect that as part of the deal, you will see the CBC announcers doing Sportsnet games.

As well, something that has yet to be mentioned. Rogers and Bell both own MLSE. Rogers now has the boradcasting rights in Canada. I think this may result in a VERY heavy influence of Leafs games for "National" games.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See andrew_co1's Items on eBay

ok just so I understand this correctly, with CBC inking this, will they be playing games more than just on Saturdays now? or do we need some exclusives extra money package now to see any weekday games besides Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday? (think regards of general digital cable channels)

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

My understanding is that CBC will continue to have basically the same coverage they've got now. A Saturday night double header, and playoffs. While they didn't mention it specifically - you have to think that one offs like "hockey day in Canada" will continue too.

The difference is that Rogers owns the rights. CBC is not paying them, and CBC won't make any money off adverstising revenues (that will all go to Rogers). Sounds like it will still be a CBC production, of sorts, but run by Rogers.

The other thing that will change, Rogers will be able to offer you more games on their other chanels. It's typical (at least in South Western Ontario) that CBC is the only option on Saturday night, right now. They've got the national games that night.... and any regional games that some places might get - they don't apply here, becuase our regional team is the national game.

What you'll probably see is a Saturday night like this:

Toronto on CBC, Montreal on TVA, Sportsnet showing Ottawa. When the late games roll around.... Edmonton is on Sportsnet, Vancouver is on CBC, and Calgary shows up on a different Sportsnet.

At least the way I've been reading things, that's how it sounds.

ok just so I understand this correctly, with CBC inking this, will they be playing games more than just on Saturdays now? or do we need some exclusives extra money package now to see any weekday games besides Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday? (think regards of general digital cable channels)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast