Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Seventy-five Canadians make the first cut for one-way trip to Mars

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekq...171011633.html

When Mars One announced their intention to put the first human colony on Mars, nearly 2,000 Canadians threw their names into the hat. Now, after the first round of cuts, just 75 remain in the running for a one-way ticket to the Red Planet.

For some of the applicants who have moved on to the next round, going into space has been a life-long dream, regardless of their age.

Take 19-year-old Audrey Roy, from Saint-Ephrem-de-Beauce, Quebec, who was one of the few selected to allow their name to go public.

"I've always said that if such a trip would happen in my lifetime, I would do everything it takes to be part of it," Roy told the Canadian Press. She went on to say that there was some sadness, on both sides, when she told her friends and family, because if she's selected, they'll never see each other again.

"It breaks my heart to actually leave them, but I've had a talk with them and they understand it is my dream since I was young," she said in the interview.

For others, their dream has been on hold substantially longer.

Claude Gauthier, a 60-year-old math and physics professor at the University of Moncton, remembers watching the first moon landing with a hint of sadness.

"When they went to the moon in 1969, I was 16 years old," he told CBC News. "I was sad because it was not me."

According to the Canadian Press, Gauthier has already tried three times to become an astronaut for the Canadian Space Agency, but was turned down all three times. He's not sure why he made the cut for the Mars One mission. However, in his interview with CBC News, he said that it's inspiring, to both him and others, that he was chosen.

"I think it's opened the mind of people to space and adventure, science, math," he said in the interview. "I think it's good, especially for very young people, less than 10 years old. They are very wide-open eyes when we talk about Mars — one way only! — it's amazing."

For others who have been chosen, the news came as bitter-sweet.

Both Christy Foley, a 32-year-old government employee in Edmonton, and her 33-year-old husband submitted their applications. She was chosen. He was not.

"We were both incredibly surprised about my making it — not so much of him not making it," she told the Canadian Press. "We both had hopes, but there was no expectation there, so it was quite incredible to get the email."

Another round of cuts is scheduled for April, after those selected go through a thorough medical examination, and this will be followed by a third cut later this year. A final cut to select those who will begin training in 2015 will bring the number of candidates down to just 24 from the original 200,000.

For everyone who will be making the trip, and their families, it's a tough choice that they have ahead of them. Given the limitations on technology, anyone who goes to Mars won't be coming back, and the one-way nature of the trip has some seeing it a suicide mission.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

this will not hppen

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kalipbeaner's Items on eBay

Probably not, but it would be nice to see. Wouldn't that be cool as hell seeing people starting a civilization on another planet. If that happens in our lifetime, what an honor.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This will happen but it is not going to end well at all

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

I could be wrong, but I will say it will not happen.

it would be cool to see earthlings start a colony on Mars, but it would be impossible to get everything they will need to have there.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Greengoblin782's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

This would be an amazing accomplishment if this occurs.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I could be wrong, but I will say it will not happen.

it would be cool to see earthlings start a colony on Mars, but it would be impossible to get everything they will need to have there.

That's why it isn't going to end well for the first Mars goers....

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

They will need something like a bic pen, or a tissue and they won't have it and start killing each other. Lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders
    See goose97's Items on eBay

They will need something like a bic pen, or a tissue and they won't have it and start killing each other. Lol

Tim! This is Canadians we are talking about here. The only thing that would drive us nuts is if we were given stupid Phillips screws, and screwdrivers to build our colony with other than our waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay superior Robertson format!

Then there be issues I tell ya!
    Searching for: Jagr, Palffy, Stumpel, and Boyd
    ***Doing some massive updating. Please be patient!***
    My new trade page is almost complete. My player want lists, and PC is still under construction. It's progress is here:
    Hidden Content
    For Easy Trading use the SCF Inventory Manager! It is Fully Up to Date!!!
    Search my inventory on SCF here:
    Hidden Content
    Also Looking for any CFL Saskatchewan Roughriders Cards!!