Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Another Goodwill auto book find.

We go a lot less often since the girls seem to read their tablets more than actual books anymore, but we stopped by today. They really had no luck on books, but I did! I found a Sarah Palin Going Rogue book. The autograph on the inside was great!

"To:Glenda My #1 supporter come to Alaska and we can wave at Russia together Sarah."

I can only imagine that Glenda is no longer her #1 supporter as the book was at Goodwill! I do love the fact Sarah was able to poke fun at herself with the inscription. For $1.50 how could I go wrong? The funny part is that I live in a small Midwest town and have found multiple autographed books at our Goodwill. Anyone else have a cool thrift find or garage sale find to share?
    Hidden Content ~ best SCF feature ever!
    Go Mets, Colts, Reds and The Ohio State University
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I've tried my luck at Goodwills and other thrift stores but haven't had any luck. I did however go to a garage sale once in my hometown of Toledo Ohio. A former Red Sox relief pitcher, Dick Drago, used to live there before he moved to (where else) Florida. I bought a few cool pictures that we autographed to him by former players (Bob Stanley being the main one). And then I stumbled upon an old 8x10 that had really badly faded red marker writing on the glass. Assuming it could be another autograph, I buy it for a dollar. The photo was of a Sox player, mid at bat, but at such an angle that you can't see his number etc. but it had an engraved piece of medal attached to the glass that says (paraphrasing) "408th career HR" gave the date and opponent. So I look up Mr Dragos stats finding it odd that a relief pitcher would ever have more than a few HRs, and after a quick research I eliminate Mr Drago. So I pulled up the stats from that game and only 2 Sox (I believe) went yard that day, one being the legendary Yaz. So I quickly pull up what Yaz's graph looks like, and compare it with the faded signature on the glass frame of this photo. And while 95% of it is faded enough to not see clearly, his last name is definitely clear enough and sure enough it was Yaz's signature! It's definitely one of my favorite, and certainly least expected, graphs ever. I just wish it was in better shape. But nonetheless, to get a signed Yaz picture from a former teammate, it's pretty awesome...I'll try to take a good enough pic tonite and post it here, but if I can't post it here, feel free to send me your email address and I'd be happy to send you a picture of it. That's my "cool thrift story" lol. What makes it better is that I'm a loyal, lifelong Red Sox fan, and I was at work during this garage sale. My boss at the time, a die hard Yankee fan, was the one to tell me to go ahead and take my break to go check out the sale. He said "the guy used to play for your boys and maybe you can meet him". So in a roundabout way, a Yankee fan gave me the shot at getting Yaz sig for a Buck!! Haha Thanks Joe Perretti, RIP My Friend! (I never did meet Dick Drago however, his wife and daughter were running the sale and Dick was golfing lmao Go figure!)

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @yazfan71

I've tried my luck at Goodwills and other thrift stores but haven't had any luck. I did however go to a garage sale once in my hometown of Toledo Ohio. A former Red Sox relief pitcher, Dick Drago, used to live there before he moved to (where else) Florida. I bought a few cool pictures that we autographed to him by former players (Bob Stanley being the main one). And then I stumbled upon an old 8x10 that had really badly faded red marker writing on the glass. Assuming it could be another autograph, I buy it for a dollar. The photo was of a Sox player, mid at bat, but at such an angle that you can't see his number etc. but it had an engraved piece of medal attached to the glass that says (paraphrasing) "408th career HR" gave the date and opponent. So I look up Mr Dragos stats finding it odd that a relief pitcher would ever have more than a few HRs, and after a quick research I eliminate Mr Drago. So I pulled up the stats from that game and only 2 Sox (I believe) went yard that day, one being the legendary Yaz. So I quickly pull up what Yaz's graph looks like, and compare it with the faded signature on the glass frame of this photo. And while 95% of it is faded enough to not see clearly, his last name is definitely clear enough and sure enough it was Yaz's signature! It's definitely one of my favorite, and certainly least expected, graphs ever. I just wish it was in better shape. But nonetheless, to get a signed Yaz picture from a former teammate, it's pretty awesome...I'll try to take a good enough pic tonite and post it here, but if I can't post it here, feel free to send me your email address and I'd be happy to send you a picture of it. That's my "cool thrift story" lol. What makes it better is that I'm a loyal, lifelong Red Sox fan, and I was at work during this garage sale. My boss at the time, a die hard Yankee fan, was the one to tell me to go ahead and take my break to go check out the sale. He said "the guy used to play for your boys and maybe you can meet him". So in a roundabout way, a Yankee fan gave me the shot at getting Yaz sig for a Buck!! Haha Thanks Joe Perretti, RIP My Friend! (I never did meet Dick Drago however, his wife and daughter were running the sale and Dick was golfing lmao Go figure!)

Yeah, I'd have bought it for a dollar too!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yeah, I'd have bought it for a dollar too!

Haha I didn't know it was Yaz until well after I bought it. I had no clue who it was at first (badly faded, aged photo etc). Had it been a clear sig, I wouldn't have hesitated lmao. I bought it with the thought that you really can't go wrong with ANY autograph for it being a buck. For that price, who cares who it is you know? I'm definitely stoked it worked out the way it did in the end. Definitely a unique kinda thing to have. I wish I woulda known about the garage sale sooner, I probably could have got all sorts of stuff, but it was Day 3 of a 4 day sale when I went. I'm kinda shocked the Yaz pic lasted as long as it did, but hell I'm not complaining!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I got a Pat Summerall autographed book at goodwill and a Tony Dungy Autographed book at a thirft store.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I got a Pat Summerall autographed book at goodwill and a Tony Dungy Autographed book at a thirft store.

Nice!! Great finds man!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've seen a few books signed by Cawood Ledford at Half Books. My parents, somehow by accident, took our signed and inscribed copy over there. I'm still mad about that.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you ever find one of these in a thrift store, there's a good chance Andy Warhol signed it and/or drew a Campbells Soup Can in it.

I found one in a thrift store (not Goodwill) signed with a Campbells Soup Can drawing. Needless to say I made a pretty penny on it.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Got home today and my wife said that they had stopped by Goodwill today and they picked me up a book as I am a Buckeyes and fan there was one there for fifty cents. I opened it up and sure enough it was autographed! Go Bucks! Bill Conley! The book is Buckeyes Bumper Crops written by Bill Conley and J C Phillips. He was a part of two National Championships as a player for Woody Hayes. He also was an assistant under Earle Bruce, John Cooper and Jim Tressel! He recruited guys like Dan Wilkenson, Eddie George, Terry Glenn, Orlando Pace and Chris Gamble. He coached guys like Pepper Johnson, Chris Spielman and Mike Vrabel! Part of a proud Buckeye tradition and a great add to my collection for pocket change! Thanks to whoever donated Coach Conley! The autograph found a household that it belongs in!

MUST SEND FIRST ON ALL TRANSACTIONS

SCF Rewards
    Country

I actually found a signed copy of Jose Canseco's Juiced the other day for $2!Good info on the Andy Warhol book. I would kill for one of those!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast