Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants New York Yankees New York Rangers

Don't know if this will help, but it comes from cardboard connection.com

A player becomes eligible for their official baseball rookie cards (designated with the MLB and MLBPA Rookie Card Logo) when he makes the 25-man roster for a MLB team. Late season call-ups to the 40-man roster are ineligible for the official rookie card designation. These guidelines were adopted in 2006 in an attempt to clarify confusion for fans and collectors. Unfortunately, due to grand-fathered contracts with the MLBPA, Topps was able to continue including prospects in their products. This has resulted in further confusion in the marketplace, as most experienced collectors still value a players first appearance on a baseball card as their rookie card regardless of official designation.

Baseball is the only sport where a player’s rookie card may not be as valuable as some of his other cards. Brands such as Topps’ Bowman family of products (Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects) and Topps Pro-Debut are all highly sought after products by rookie card collectors as they typically contain a players first official trading card. Collectors should be aware that unlicensed minor league team sets, are typically not considered legitimate rookie cards.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

Why make this so hard?

Follow the Football guidelines

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country

I spoke with Richard, the creator of the Football section, and we agreed to make this a bit more subjective based on his experience. Remember this will morph based on feedback so it may eventually look more like the Football section, but for now this is what we are going with.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Minnesota Twins Minnesota Wild Minnesota Twins
    See hollywood_42's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

So Bowman Firsts, Prospects, etc do not count as RCs. But say I have a Harper RC from Topps- If I have the Topps Gold parallel of Harper as well, do I have 1 RC or 2?

Don't know if this will help, but it comes from cardboard connection.com

A player becomes eligible for their official baseball rookie cards (designated with the MLB and MLBPA Rookie Card Logo) when he makes the 25-man roster for a MLB team. Late season call-ups to the 40-man roster are ineligible for the official rookie card designation. These guidelines were adopted in 2006 in an attempt to clarify confusion for fans and collectors. Unfortunately, due to grand-fathered contracts with the MLBPA, Topps was able to continue including prospects in their products. This has resulted in further confusion in the marketplace, as most experienced collectors still value a players first appearance on a baseball card as their rookie card regardless of official designation.

Baseball is the only sport where a player’s rookie card may not be as valuable as some of his other cards. Brands such as Topps’ Bowman family of products (Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects) and Topps Pro-Debut are all highly sought after products by rookie card collectors as they typically contain a players first official trading card. Collectors should be aware that unlicensed minor league team sets, are typically not considered legitimate rookie cards.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country

So Bowman Firsts, Prospects, etc do not count as RCs. But say I have a Harper RC from Topps- If I have the Topps Gold parallel of Harper as well, do I have 1 RC or 2?

Parallels are not considered RCs. The Base RC is the only one that is counted by the Beckett numbers.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Minnesota Twins Minnesota Wild Minnesota Twins
    See hollywood_42's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Got it, that's what I thought. Thanks much!

Parallels are not considered RCs. The Base RC is the only one that is counted by the Beckett numbers.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See schwood's Items on eBay

Okay, that should explain the discrepancy in what I have counted so far, and where the numbers are in the Beckett listing. Gotcha. Have to go back through what I had counted thus far and update. Thanks. Good stuff!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Just put my collection into the gauntlet to see if it qualifies!

Baseball Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Pistons Detroit Lions Detroit Red Wings
    See cramkd117's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

congrats to schwood on becoming our first team supercollector!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks bud! Pretty cool stuff. I was hoping I had what it takes. Awesome!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast