Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Laptop help needed

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See storagefindsales's Items on eBay

Laptop help needed

For some reason and this happens about 2-3 times per day, sometime 5-6 times per day; if I tap my laptop with a very light tap or with a sudden jerk or just to pick it up to move it to another part of the house with a slight extra jerk and not even very hard or violent either, it will freeze on the spot and need to be restarted. Ususally there is a constant annoying sound when it freezes too until it is shut off to restart.
    Last edited by will22clark; 07-12-2014 at 03:55 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

anyone have the answer

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

Sounds like a hard drive problem, possibly systems board. Is the sound a whirring, a tapping, what exactly?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Depends on a few factors.

- Is it a Lenovo? If so, Lenovo has a thing built in to some of their laptops called Active Protection. This was designed to protect the hard drive from scratches when the laptop was moved when movement was sensed. Not all Lenovos have it tho. Mine is a Lenovo and it doesn't have it.

- Not a Lenovo? Could be a couple of things. Off the top of my head...your memory module has loosened and moves when you move the laptop causing a crash which is what you are seeing as a freeze (this is a probability). Could be a loose wire on your hard drive although I doubt this one as you would probably get a blue screen and reboot, not a freeze. Could be your memory or motherboard is going bad. If it is the memory going bad you are talking $100+/- in parts and labor depending on the model of PC, if it is the motherboard you need to start planning on a new laptop as replacing the motherboard would probably cost nearly as much as buying a new laptop.

SCF Rewards
    Country

IDK why but I thought the same thing as you guys earlier today but the sound is very annoying when it freezes, kinda loud and buzzing but I think I fixed it earlier today when I removed the HD and reinstalled it. I wanted to make sure it was sitting properly and not loose and since, it has not happened. Its an HP Pavilion DV4-1465dx. I think these were made in 2009. I recently put in a new HD and im thinking I fixed it today by reinstalling it making sure its in there tight. Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yeah if the HD was loose that would do it. The noise you were hearing could have been the cooling fan getting "out of whack" from the HD being loose.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I notice another thing happening too that I would like to stop. You know in the older days when you were watching TV and you had to smack the TV so it would stop giving you a bad or glitchy picture? Well I have be having something like that but the picture is fine but there is a glitch literally every 5 seconds like in the movie "Speed" when they are on the bus and they were ordered to re-run the tape to upload the hostages, there is that one moment in the tape that the bad guy catches right where they re-ran the tape, I have that every 5 seconds. Its not exactly as bad as in the movie. Its 1/2 as bad. I can block it out of my mind and act like its not there but its always there. Even now after I have not had a freeze. Check it out on my cam for yourself>>>